Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » "The General" « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5244
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, so how many of you actually call GM "The General" or have frequently heard it called that?

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14196
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never!

Closest we got was 'Generous Motors' in our household.

Dad's paycheck's came from there...and his pension...and until a month ago, even his health insurance!

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1997
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep! From a friend who's father worked there in the 50s. When I worked there in the 90s I worked at GM Truck in Pontiac, I told everybody I worked at "Truck". When my Uncle worked there in the 70s he called it "Truck and Bus". My other uncle worked for BOC at the Tech Center and ended up retiring from MFD.

Turkeycall
Username: Turkeycall

Post Number: 28
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hired in at CPC in Marion, Indiana in '85. Previously it was Fisher Body, then Metal Fab a couple of years after I transferred to AC Rochester in Coopersville, MI. in '92. We called it "Mother Motors" until we were given away to Delphi. We had other names for Delphi, though, mostly unprintable.

Took the retirement in '06.

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 341
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NEVER!

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 610
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've only heard that reference to GM when it was made by media folks.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1599
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never heard it.

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 320
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Evidently the hockey team did;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F lint_Generals_(IHL)
http://www.geocities.com/Colos seum/7221/

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 1133
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My father, who put in 35 years at Highland Park, would refer to GM in words I would prefer not to use, but never "The General".

Never really heard GM refered to as anything but GM, although people tended to break it down into its component parts. My memory says people tended to work AT General Motors.

References to Ford and Chrysler tended to be posessive, that is "I work FOR (Henry) Ford's", or "I work FOR (Walter P.) Chrysler's".

BTW, "The General" was built by Rodgers in 1855 for the Western & Atlantic Railway, finally retiring in 1901. She was rebuilt by the Louisbille and Nashville in 1961, visiting Greenfield Village in 1963 (I think), and in 1972 was placed on display at the Kennesaw (Ga.)Civil War Museum, where she remains to this day.....

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5247
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I've only heard that reference to GM when it was made by media folks."

I read it in a national media piece that stated that's how GM is known around here, that's why I asked. I've heard it called that maybe once or twice in my life and not by locals.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3688
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buster Keaton and "The General".

Me 'n Jjaba saw the flick when it was first-run.

Stromberg2
Username: Stromberg2

Post Number: 117
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray 1936, Have you heard from Jjaba, He hasn't been around here for awhile.

Stromberg2

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2766
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup, the national media piece was full of shit. I have never heard that remarkably stupid term used, and I'm not young. As well, my mother's father was a long-time worker for GM way back in the first half of the 1900's, so I think if that term had any popular usage, I probably would be aware of it.
Very prudent, on your part, to check out this matter with us worldly experts, and our virtually all-encompassing knowledge of damned near everything, here on DY.

Just goes to show us how media types like to embellish their reporting with "local color" even if doing so requires exaggerations or even bold fabrications.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5597
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My cousin still calls it "Generous Motors" but then again, he was a janitor making an engineer's salary.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1865
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was a GM employee for 31 years and I don't recall ever hearing that term used by other employees, nor by any of my many contacts in the supplier and academic world.

Frankg
Username: Frankg

Post Number: 644
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to hear it occasionally at the Proving Grounds. But we used to work in the medium-duty truck section, and we had an old semi-truck wrecker, and old GM "General" model. It must have been 30-40 years old. So in addition to calling the wrecker "The General" we'd occasionally refer to the corporation with the same term.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11870
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heard it many times, though mostly from true hobbyists or car mags, not often from the general public, or even GM workers for that matter. Much more common obviously is "Chevy," as opposed to Chevrolet.

Perhaps that would be another interesting survey. How many people use the term Chevy as opposed to Chevrolet?

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3690
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got an email from him early this week, Strom. I'm guessin' he's just been busy.

Who was it that sang about the Boston MTA, and the man who never returned, no, he never returned? Maybe that's Jjaba on the Dexter bus..... :-)

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 338
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray...that would be the Kingston Trio.

Now you have that song going round and round in my head! It was always a favorite!

Mom and StepDad always called GM either Generous Motors or Generous Mother...never heard it called the General. Mom worked at Chevy Engineering for 27 years...StepDad at Fisher Body for a little over 20.

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 250
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only time I've heard the term "The General" was on the Dukes of Hazzard.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.