Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Obama, Biden at Detroit Public Library on Sunday « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 5048
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This just came through the email bag...

quote:

Change We Need Rally in Detroit

Please join us this Sunday, September 28th, for a rally with Barack Obama, Joe Biden, Michelle Obama, and Jill Biden in Detroit:

Change We Need Rally
with Barack Obama, Joe Biden,
Michelle Obama, and Jill Biden

Woodward Ave. in front of the Detroit Public Library
5200 Block of Woodward Ave.
Detroit, MI

Sunday, September 28th
Gates Open: 11:00 a.m.
Program Begins: 1:30 p.m.
Public Entrance: Woodward Ave. and W. Warren Ave.

The event is free and open to the public; tickets are not required but an RSVP is strongly encouraged. Rain or shine. Space is available on a first come, first served basis.

For security reasons, do not bring bags and please limit personal items. No signs or banners permitted.

Use of public transportation is strongly encouraged. Limited public parking will be available at Wayne State University parking facilities.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5249
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cripes, that's a smaller space than Hart Plaza and people were lining up three hours before the gates opened there.

No parade this time, but possibly some churches...

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1864
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thread title says Saturday, quote text says Sunday.

Either day, believe it when you see it, given all the scheduling fall-out from McCain & Obama's realization that their day job back in Washington was calling.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 769
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Freep says Sunday.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080925/NEW S15/80925044/1001/NEWS

Mrjoshua
Username: Mrjoshua

Post Number: 1747
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perfect. I will have my oversized McCain Palin banner hanging out of my window.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 2123
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And?

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 5470
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 1:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

anybody got a slingshot and some rotten eggs?

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 5049
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 1:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sunday not Saturday

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 967
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 1:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone please remind Momma Kilpatrick that she's still not welcome even though her criminal son is gone.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1423
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 7:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This will certainly be dynamic. I can't wait to hear all the thoughtful verbiage that Obama is able to read from his teleprompter.

Perhaps we will get one of those wonderfully quotable moments from Joe if they are still letting him talk.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 770
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's right, McCain never uses a teleprompter.

Be_in_va
Username: Be_in_va

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they can bask in the glory of the results of years and years of heavily unionized and heavily democratic controlled detroit.......

English
Username: English

Post Number: 828
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I can't wait to hear all the thoughtful verbiage that Obama is able to read from his teleprompter."

I've seen Obama speak twice on the stump during the primaries, in Toledo and in Troy. Not only was there no teleprompter in either of the SCHOOL GYMS these were held in, he didn't even use any notes.

But nice try. Next time, why not say "he's getting fed his lines from an invisible earpiece he's wearing." *eye roll*

English

Post Number: 829
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"they can bask in the glory of the results of years and years of heavily unionized and heavily democratic controlled detroit......."

Other than Detroit & other depressed urban areas in the North and California, most Blue cities are doing very well...

New York
Boston
Chicago
San Francisco
Portland
Seattle...

...WITHOUT much help from the federal government!!!

Can HOUSTON say that?????

It is a well-known fact that the Blue states have long subsidized the benefits that Red states enjoy. Michiganders receive less than a dollar for every dollar of taxes we pay. In contrast, why don't you ask an economist how much for every dollar denizens of Palin's Alaska receive?

It's funny, but the Blue states put our money where our mouths are -- we pay for a functioning society, whereas the Red states *itch and complain, then demand that we not only build them roads and bridges that they don't pay their fair share for, but that we give them our water.

I predict Civil War II. :-)

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 881
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

This will certainly be dynamic. I can't wait to hear all the thoughtful verbiage that Obama is able to read from his teleprompter.

You aren't, by any chance, a McCain supporter, are you? Now *there* is a guy who talks like he's reading off a script. It's almost like someone walks up to him, plugs him in, and hits the PLAY button at the start of all his speeches.
Not that that is at all relevant to the piss-poor job McCain would do as president, but it is interesting that you should criticize Obama's (actually quite animated) speaking style when his opponent is John McSoporific.

(Message edited by bearinabox on September 26, 2008)

Be_in_va
Username: Be_in_va

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what's the tax rates in those cities compared to the rest of the US?

down south here, people are moving down to escape them...i dont here anybody moving up north saying "man, cant wait to pay those incredible tax rates"

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1430
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

English.

Obama's getting fed his lines from an invisible earpiece he's wearing

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 2323
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New York
Boston
Chicago
San Francisco
Seattle..
These are some of the most expensive cities in the US for housing and living. So what you are saying is that the libs are for expensive living at the expense of the low wage worker?
I thought the democrats were for the working man.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5264
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, what time should we get there? Has anyone noticed if a Jumbotron is in the area yet?

English

Post Number: 831
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Irish -- I give up. :-)

To the forum Republicans: if you happen to be in Midtown tomorrow, why not go & see him? I've seen McCain... although I'm partisan, if a politician on the national/international stage comes to the D, and I don't have anything up, I'm there!

BTW I think it was Gore who spoke in the very same spot, around the same time during the 2000 election cycle! I walked up Cass Avenue to hear him. It was a different era and a much smaller crowd, but his awesome speech made me switch my vote from GWB to Gore... (had voted McCain in the primaries & planned to back the GOP winner...)

Gotta dash -- but anti-Obama folks, go hear him speak! No one is trying to change your vote, but this is a big deal...

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 401
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

New York
Boston
Chicago
San Francisco
Seattle..
These are some of the most expensive cities in the US for housing and living. So what you are saying is that the libs are for expensive living at the expense of the low wage worker?
I thought the democrats were for the working man.

The one doesn't have anything to do with the other.

Nearly all medium-to-large cities vote Democratic--even cities in strongly Republican states like Utah tend to be Democratic. Rich cities, poor cities, doesn't matter much if at all. If you made a list of low-cost cities they would probably be mostly or all Democratic as well.

Larryinflorida
Username: Larryinflorida

Post Number: 2893
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"English.

Obama's getting fed his lines from an invisible earpiece he's wearing"

Naw. You can tell, lol.
It looks like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =EBUDRxUMoNw

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.