Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Dearborn Forces Registration of Abandoned Houses « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14216
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 8:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now THIS is a curious twist...just heard it from Amy on WDET...Dearborn passed legislation that owners of homes abandoned MUST register with the city.

I'd bet IF they fail there is a fasttrack to the property being acquired by the city.

Very smart. Very cool.

Allows inspectors to have a concise listing to survey...police some measure of knowledge if someone is supposed to be ON a property or not...all sorts of good things from this.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 616
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know, I can get behind this. I've been trying to find ownership on a house in the city. It's in foreclosure, it's been abandoned, harvested, boarded up, and I'm having a heck of a time finding out information.

I'm never in favor of cities taking over properties, but this would be a way to allow homes to be purchased much easier.

I've learned a lot on my search, but it should be a little easier.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 3069
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is just another useless law that will be quickly ignored. Just because there is a law that says you're supposed to do it, doesn't mean anyone is going to do it.

I don't see how they will be able to enforce this. How does the city find out if a place is abandoned, if the owner doesn't tell them?

Kova
Username: Kova

Post Number: 166
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

normally i would be all for this, unfortunately, i know that the city of dearborn is just interested in tearing down perfectly good housing and wants to replace it with ugly bigfoot homes of poor quality.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1370
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in Dearborn. A house across the street from me is vacant. The homeowner moved in with her boyfriend and the house just sits. She does, however, have a lawn service come and cut the grass, pull weeds, etc. She also has the neighbors put trash out in front of her house so it appears someone is living there. The historic neighborhood has far too many houses that are vacant (and it is quite evident since there are no window treatments and no furniture on the inside). I'm all for having to register a vacant house with the city. The city has been diligent in coming around and enforcing ordinance violations (grass that needs cutting, weeds, trash cans visible from the street, etc). They have the resources and manpower to enforce the vacant house registration.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 8751
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I highly doubt people who abandoned their homes due to foreclosure are going to "register" with the city. Is this more geared towards banks?

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 593
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those guys are zealous. In some ways, its good.in others, ehhh.
Check out the neighborhood at the Southwest corner of Michigan/Wyoming. The city has been buying up a bunch of houses to tear them down. They condemned a few that were much better off than others in the city and plowed them down. Theres probably more vacant lots now then remaining houses there. An utter, desolate ghost town in an otherwise nice city, due to city hall. Then theres Fordson island. In the name of neighborhood improvement, they condemned all remaining, privately owned cottages, demolished them, and turned one of the citys most unique areas into an industrial wasteland,a mini-zug Island.
Im all for any city doing what they can to keep their neighborhoods nice. But Dearborn has used it as an excuse to completely wipe out some of its smallest neighborhoods.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1371
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People wouldn't need to register their home because of foreclosure. The city already has that info. I think it's the people who are trying to sell but have already moved out and the house is sitting vacant. There are MANY homes that would fall into this category. The city would have no way of knowing if the house is vacant or not unless someone reports that they've moved out and are awaiting a buyer. This just makes sense in a safety aspect. I'd want the cops and city to know if a house next door to me was vacant. They seem to drive around and check on those they know are vacant (at least they have in my neighborhood). I live on the west end and they may be more diligent over this way than in other areas.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.