Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Michigan Driver Responsibility march in Lansing... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detblue
Username: Detblue

Post Number: 67
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If there is anyone against or affected by the as anon driver responsibility law, I'm attempting to organize a peaceful march in Lansing with additional information forthcoming. It's time for our voices to be heard. Thanks for your participation and any advice or ideas you may offer!

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 2032
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I couldnt believe it when I not only got a ticket for a driving offense but then got slapped TWICE with another driver responsibility act fee in the mail a few weeks later. Another $200 for every ticket I believe. Isn't that like double jeopardy, getting charged twice for one offense? This makes me sick.

If anyone remembers the amnesty weekend at the church at 6 mile and I75 for those with warrants in Wayne County this past summer, They were over run with ppl that had outstanding traffic warrants, all because they couldn't afford to pay the fines that have in essence been doubled for a driving infraction. No operators license on them, no insurance, speeding, whatever as far as I know.

This "responsibility" law has just exacerbated the problem by putting out warrants on ppl just trying to get by in the first place. This is a total waste in the end. I think we all know that even if you do get pulled over in Detroit for a warrant thats only a misdemeanor they will not take you in because the jails are already at capacity. If you didnt know, if you have a warrant for traffic or simple misdemeanor the cops here will not be taking you in even though they're supposed to. Like I said, no room at the County Inn.

Good for you Detblue, Ill do what I can to push that BS back into where it came from.

Im surprised Im the first one to root you on.

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 732
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, I'm right there with ya Django.
Tell me when & where & I'll be there with a car full of other pissed off folks.
Frankly, I'm pretty amazed I haven't been slapped with this silliness yet..apparently the lowly speeder squeaks under their radar.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14253
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nah, you're just the one aware from years of two-wheeled freedom staying alive!

I'd like to be a part of this, too.

I actually thought they had repealed it...wasn't there some move to do so...and hadn't the courts found some way to circumvent it, anyways?

There haven't been any stories on it for a while...talk about under the radar.

While we're at it, now that some folks are giving up on driving completely, there will be an ARMY of people hit with being forced to be in the insurance 'pool' for...you guessed it...NOT having car insurance for a while.

From what I knew, they hit everyone whether they went delinquent or merely stopped owning a car.

I'm about to put a vehicle on the road that used to be my mother's...I had given it to her many years ago...but after she died it sat in my sister's driveway for a long while.

When I go to transfer the title after three years of storage...I wonder what the fine'll be then!

Gotta stop these cash grabs and insurance company perks...it's time to make a change!

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 2039
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its possible that speeders dont get these extra fines, Im not sure as I always drive like Grandma not Gannon. My tickets were always for no insurance, paperwork, that kind of thing. No matter how many driving tickets you had on record while having warrants for the same diving infractions, they never took you in, just wrote you a new ticket and sent you on your way. Thats all fine if you never leave Detroit but if you get pulled over outside the D with a bad license they can lock you up. If your in the D you basically don't even need a license.

Farrer
Username: Farrer

Post Number: 624
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 1:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If your in the D you basically don't even need a license.

Moderator, please move this post to the HOF Insurance Rates in the D thread.

No but really, I cracked up after reading that. Just another example of the unwritten, province-in the-peninsula laws of the city.

Off the record(and on), a raised arm here and a K lighter in the wallet from this citizen, courtesy of this unconstitutional money grab from a broke-ass, top heavy, blind and failing state and state government in transition.

What was that most recent, mocking, laughable stat
MI garnered? Something like dead last state for people moving-to? Wonder why? Maybe not for reasons like this law but another yet another TAX, (yes, a punitive tax) nonetheless.

Sorry, nor marching participation, here. Will be marching with my vote, however.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1888
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last time I checked, there is no constitutional right to drive. Driving is a privilege that is extended by the state and with it comes responsibilities.

Instead of setting up this ridiculous money grab however, once they kick-in, the penalties should be an immediate impounding of the vehicle and a flat revoking of one's license for a set period of time, no appeals. Of course, our lawmakers see this as an opportunity for a funding source and they would never give that up. I'd march, but only to support getting rid of the stupid fines in exchange for loss of driving privileges.

The objective should be to get the irresponsible drivers off the road, not enrich the coffers of the MI Dept. of Treasury.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4697
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it really that hard to carry proof of insurance and obey traffic laws? I think most people manage it.

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 215
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's been my belief that both state and local governments here specialize in doing things TO rather that FOR it's citizens.

I'd think that most people come afoul of this law by either not carrying insurance, or driving without a valid licence through multiple infractions.

Mikeg

Post Number: 1889
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The law was amended to allow valid proof of insurance to be presented to the court prior to the ticket appearance date and have the fee canceled.

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 218
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've seen people attempt to phony up a proof of insurance in court. The magistrate ordered the clerk to actually CALL the insurance company to verify. It's better to just own up to it, or cop a plea.

Detblue

Post Number: 68
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikeg,

Do you know approximately when that portion of the law amended?

Mikeg

Post Number: 1890
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From this web site:
quote:

If you are found guilty of any of the following infractions the Secretary of State will assess a $150 each year for the two years that the points are on your license:
* If you're convicted of driving without a license.
* If you fail to produce a certificate of insurance for your vehicle at the request of a police officer. (Amended March, 2004 to not penalize the motorist if they prove to the court that the vehicle was covered by insurance at the time the ticket was written.)

Detblue

Post Number: 69
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^ Thanks

Gannon

Post Number: 14296
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THAT WAS OVER FOUR YEARS AGO?

I didn't even think this stupidly named Driver Responsibility Law was even on the books then...I'm pretty sure I know people who've been stung by this...including one young girl who got popped by the State Police driving up I-75...the ONLY thing they could nail her on was NOT SIGNING THE BACK OF HER REGISTRATION.

She actually got a ticket for THAT!

This from a client of mine in Monroe, I can track him down for the date if it is an issue. I don't think it was that long ago...more like two and a half to three years.

Gannon

Post Number: 14297
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(girl was the client's daughter, sorry for the lack of clarity there...)

Detblue

Post Number: 70
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just in case anyone overlooked the post...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.