Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Life in Northwest Detroit - 4 month old shot & killed « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Westsiiiide
Username: Westsiiiide

Post Number: 343
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's crimes like this that is making my decision to leave Detroit a lot easier.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080928/NEW S01/80928023

Greatlakes
Username: Greatlakes

Post Number: 260
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here, I'll save everyone some time. Cut and paste for future reference:
quote:

Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 1:14 pm

All these crime related threads are the same:

OP: Link to an article. Poster's own comment optional.
Posts 2-5: Oh, no! This crime is unacceptable!
Posts 6, 7: Crime happens everywhere. You just have to be street smart. We're just like any big city. Plus, that person probably did something to make them a target.
Post 8: Here's a link to a similar crime in the suburbs. Sure, it's the first time it's happened there in (five years/twenty years/ever), but the point is that CRIME HAPPENS EVERYWHERE!
Posts 9, 10: Ya'll are so jaded that you don't even realize it.
Posts 11-14: Crime isn't that bad. This is an image problem brought up by the anti-Detroit media that likes to pick on us. Plus, racism.
Posts 15-17: It's not just an image problem. We need to do something.
Posts 18-20: This is DetroitYES! not DetroitNO! Take your bashing to the freep forums.
Post 21: Hey, I love Detroit!
Post 22: Well, we love Detroit more!
Post 23: I'm glad I left, and I'm not coming back until crime is under control.
Post 24: You're not offering any real solutions to the problem anyway.
Post 25: Hey, what we need is a 50-story skyscraper!

And yes, the story linked in this thread's OP is horrible. My sincerest thoughts and condolences go out to that family.

(Message edited by GreatLakes on September 28, 2008)

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3641
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Post 26: And they say Detroit isn't dying a slow death...
Post 27: No matter how many people die, leave, or are killed in the city, theere will always be someone here farming & working to return this city to its glory

It's a shame you can't even raise a child (let along a family) in this city anymore. :-(

(Message edited by DetroitRise on September 28, 2008)

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5269
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can but you need money to do it.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 873
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Open Letter to Mayor Cockerel & Governor Granholm:

Kindly consider a cooperative venture involving the Detroit Police, Michigan State Police and National Guard to take back the streets of Detroit from the thugs, gangsters and punk-asses that have layed waste to the neighborhoods of Detroit.

Janesback
Username: Janesback

Post Number: 477
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It might help to bring in the National Guard. After Katrina, Gov Blanco and Ray had them positioned thru out N.O

Respectable neighborhoods cheered them on , thugs booed them, but all in all, they made a difference

Sadly,N.O is continuing its downward spiral, and the good folks of N.O continue to move out...sad to see these wonderful cities destroyed by thugs..

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14282
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Way better to keep local policing, and continue to make it as good as possible.

If any issues arise, we don't want to go chasing which agency was involved...and it has been proven that enforcers from outside an area who do not know the area and residents are much more likely to go past reasonable limits of behavior.

Of course, locals need be guarded against corruption...and/or favoritism for those they may know.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3289
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ya know Chuckjav - that is THE best suggestion yet! With the three groups working together, they could make a clean sweep, and get a pile of those outlaws off the streets. A "Take Back Detroit" campaign of sorts.

Hell, if more jails are needed it could give the unemployed masses a job building the structures. There's lots of logistics to be figured out, but I don't see why it's not doable.

KC, Jr. so far seems like a git 'r done kinda guy. It could be made to work.

(Message edited by eriedearie on September 28, 2008)

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 874
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

End the Heartbreak, Citizen Soldiers: - take back your cities...take back your nation!

Salvadordelmundo
Username: Salvadordelmundo

Post Number: 106
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recall a few months ago when a 2-year-old was killed in a drive-by shooting in New Zealand. That was treated as a national calamity; police forces worked around the clock until the entire gang involved was detained.

Will Detroit treat this murder with the same sense of gravity and revulsion?

Greatlakes
Username: Greatlakes

Post Number: 262
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope, I don't think so based on past events.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3698
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Kindly consider a cooperative venture involving the Detroit Police, Michigan State Police and National Guard to take back the streets of Detroit from the thugs, gangsters and punk-asses that have layed waste to the neighborhoods of Detroit."

Okay with me. But the liberals on this board would have a hairy.

Savannah
Username: Savannah

Post Number: 73
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Way better to keep local policing, and continue to make it as good as possible.

If any issues arise, we don't want to go chasing which agency was involved...and it has been proven that enforcers from outside an area who do not know the area and residents are much more likely to go past reasonable limits of behavior.
Are you kidding? Remember the guy whose car was stolen about 10 times? And they were pushing it down the street when the cops got there and didn't charge them? DPD is a national joke!Second only to New Orleans PD, (before they cleaned it up)

Gannon

Post Number: 14283
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any comparisons to behavior under the Kwhyme administration and Bully-Cummings mis-rule does not fit the current paradigm.

We've already witnessed increases in efficiency and efforts with the Police in the mere WEEKS since the change.

I am confident that the Detroit Police can do the work tasked to them, given the proper leadership. I believe they are getting that now, in the wake of the exit of the known evil-doers.

There is a place for the State Police, but NOT on the surface streets, and certainly NOT with residents...the transition in between would be handled by the Sheriff Department, although I would truly like to have Bully-Cumming's ex-husband Warren Evans long gone into the same sunset as the rest of 'em.

The current sheriff deputies (if that's how they're known as, I'm blanking on any other term) have all been decent and fair individuals, from my direct experience. I've seen them helping citizens more than a few times in the inner city...as well as doing their job policing the bus system excellently. They've always been fair with those I've seen them deal with in Hines Park, as well.

The experience with State Police has usually been extraordinary as well, but that encounter with Magoo...the unfortunate homeless maniac who was shot point blank downtown a few years ago...is enough to have me wish those who wear the dark blue stick to the freeways and help those communities without any form of police coverage.

I feel quite strongly that Magoo would still be alive if the local police had answered that call...but that is obviously my opinion.

If you had seen the way the State Police made their blue wall around their man and kept the Detroit Detectives at bay from the crime scene until the State Police crime lab came down, and witnessed the bizarre division between the jurisdictions...you would know more of why I have these conclusions of strongly desiring ONE or TWO overlapping jurisdictions, but certainly not FOUR. We do NOT need Army National Guard in the city, ever, unless civil unrest breaks out...and we are not there, not yet at least.

Of course, the State Blues surely knew the accuracy of the Detroit crime lab, but they also knew that they could control their own person much better, and there was considerable animosity from a few of the local cops who seemed disturbed over the whole scene...along with a few of the direct witnesses who really could NOT believe this State cop pulled the trigger so quickly on a fellow who had his pants down around his ankles and was clearly unarmed.

We must help encourage the Detroit Police to shake out the deadwood and those who are pure evil...there are more than a few pro-Kwhyme cops still on the payroll, and as far as I know at least one that has been involved in dirty dealings with real estate development who threatened his ex-business parter with death still wearing that uniform.

It is NOT just the leadership, I know, but the mere change in mayor and police leadership caused a direct change in behavior on the street...this has been witnessed in at least three neighborhoods, including mine.

I will stick by my local force then the county one, thanks. Much better accountability the more local their bosses. Both are headquartered downtown with the majority rule of citizens able to influence both by their vote...this is not the case with the State Police.

Cheers!

Tk65
Username: Tk65

Post Number: 100
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Face it, Detroit is a lost cause. Shit like this is why people of every ethnic background are leaving the city.

Detroit is not worth fighting for.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 893
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Detroit is not worth fighting for.

I suppose you've got a better idea?

Tk65
Username: Tk65

Post Number: 101
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the people leaving in droves answers your question.

I for one would never live there and will be moving further away from the city shortly.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6495
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

National Guard

Whoah! Wouldn't that have to be martial law?

Pause and consider the 4-month-old boy. What can be done to prevent the next tragedy without dropping a boot that large?

What would Alexis do?

Gannon

Post Number: 14295
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tk65,

Then, why are you here? Of what worth can you bring to this table?

Buh-Bye...go as far away as you can, buddy.

Bearinabox

Post Number: 894
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I for one would never live there and will be moving further away from the city shortly.

I, for one, am of the persuasion that removing problems from one's field of vision does not reduce their effects. They cannot be contained, and ignoring them only makes them worse. I don't expect you to see my point, but suffice to say that a policy of Not Fighting For Detroit has produced and will continue to produce nothing but undesirable outcomes for this region and everyone in it.

Bearinabox

Post Number: 895
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the way, you seem to think that I'm suggesting that one must live in Detroit to fight for it. That is not the case. We're all in this together, whether you realize it or not.

Pamequus
Username: Pamequus

Post Number: 171
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am a former Detroiter. Raised there back in the 50s and 60s. Lived there until the late 70s. Where this horrific crime took place is probably about a mile and a half from where I grew up.
When people ask where I'm from I'm always proud to said Detroit. Their normal response is one of "oh, poor you" to which I respond that Detroit was a marvelous place to grow up when I lived there. Safe, clean, lots of history, cultural activities, wonderful parks... generally a very nice city.
My point is this....regardless of race it is high time people stopped looking for excuses, people to blame, situations that someone else should correct. Leave behind entitlement issues, and what happened to our ancestors (we all have something to complain about in that subject).
Look at today, not yesterday. Dream of tomorrow and work toward that dream today.
It's all about attitude. If you have a positive attitude (as did most of the founders of this fine country we are blessed to be a part of) you will find a way. Continue the negative and all you will get is more negative. Argue about who owes who what will get you nothing more than continued argument and further decline. Join forces and go forth. Detroit will not recover until you do.
Climbing down off my soap box.

Mama_jackson
Username: Mama_jackson

Post Number: 480
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While we are talking about senseless murders and gunfire, I was surprised to find nobody posted the article from yesterday.

People attending a Detroit funeral for a lady, and someone started shooting at the family when they were leaving the church. The family and friends at the funeral started shooting back. The son of the lady was wounded. I thought, only in Detroit.

Found the link:
http://www.clickondetroit.com/ news/17576950/detail.html?rss= det&psp=news

News950
Username: News950

Post Number: 39
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Monica Conyers is calling for Michigan to reverse its 162-year ban on capital punishment in cases of child murderers. We asked her why she waited to speak about it--since there have been so many of these cases. Conyers said she had felt this way for a while.

http://www.wwj.com/Conyers-Cal ls-for-Death-Penalty-for-Child -Murderer/3049265

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 602
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon,

Tk65 makes a point here and you blatantly ignored it. He brought up the fact that the regional flight of SE MI is an ongoing trend. When you dismiss him with that such attitude, it allows lurkers and posters cast an opinion about Detroiters in general that - if you're not one of them, than you're against them.

This regional flight is directly tied to issues that are, assumedly, very dear to you such as:

Gentrification
National opinions of the Detroit
"The Brain Drain"
Population and Demographics
Tax Base

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 8753
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

quote:

Then, why are you here? Of what worth can you bring to this table?

Buh-Bye...go as far away as you can, buddy.

Look, it's posts 23 and 24 of the Greatlakes crime thread theorem!

quote:

Post 23: I'm glad I left, and I'm not coming back until crime is under control.
Post 24: You're not offering any real solutions to the problem anyway.

Lferg
Username: Lferg

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great post Pamequus.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7784
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is life in the ghettos of Detroit. There will be BROTHERS KILLING BROTHERS and families killing families!

Westsiiiide
Username: Westsiiiide

Post Number: 345
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroiters' were led to believe that this is how things should be. The police department has never been completely squeaky clean.

Thats what former Police Chief Jerry Oliver noticed back in July 2002 when interviewed by Rochelle Riley of the Detroit Free Press after the shooting death of a baby. Jerry Oliver's was never accepted by the rank and file at DPD because he was an outsider from another state, and officer's didn't accept the changes he wanted to do, like community policing.

This is just excerpts from the Free Press article/interview.

'NORMAL IS THE PROBLEM HERE' - DETROIT POLICE CHIEF JERRY OLIVER SAYS CITIZENS HAVE SETTLED FOR MEDIOCRITY OR WORSE
Detroit Free Press (MI) - July 14, 2002
Author: ROCHELLE RILEY FREE PRESS COLUMNIST
We're talking about kids dying, some at the hands of their parents, others by random bullets.

And we're looking for solutions from city officials, particularly Police Chief Jerry Oliver, who's been on the job for only five months and didn't expect to handle the rash of child killings that has garnered national attention.

We recently sat and discussed Detroit's problems and future. Here is a partial transcript:

Are Detroit's problems different from those in New York, Chicago, Atlanta?

"Yeah. For one thing -- and the mayor says this lots of times and it's right on point -- what's good enough for Detroit would be mediocre in any other place . . . and sometimes I don't think people even realize that it's not OK. Normal is the problem here. The Police Department's job is to go to chaos. . . . Somebody calls and the reason they call is because something bad is happening, and it's not normal. And they call the police to help take that chaos and bring it back to normal.

"The question then becomes in Detroit, what happens when normal is the problem?

"We bring it back to normal and normal is bizarre. . . . What's normal every day in this city? What's normal is there's trash everywhere. What's normal is there are abandoned buildings everywhere with open doors and open sores. What's normal is we're in the top of every bad list from illiteracy to illegitimacy and we're at the bottom of all the good lists when you talk about quality of life issues. Normal is the problem."

How do you combat something that huge?

"What we have to do is to change the definition of what people accept as normal, that it's not OK to have trash blowing up and down the street. That means that you have to do something different in your life. You have to sweep your own darn porch. You have to walk out in front of your house and pick up trash and you may have to pick up the next door neighbor's trash. You may have to actually cut the grass in the vacant lot next to you. You may have to report the person who backs up down the street and dumps garbage in a vacant lot. . . .

"You may actually have to care about the kid next door and whether or not he goes to school or whether he's hanging around on the porch all day. You may have to work with social services to deal with that. There are many things that you may as a citizen have to just really start to worry about that you never worried about before if you want to get this city under control.

"Most of the babies that were killed in this city . . . if you back up a day, two days, a week, in front of that situation, you'll find that there are some serious problems that could have been addressed. . . .

"That's what we're going to have to do. That changes normal. Normal starts to eat up a little bit in terms of quality of life and people will start to expect more from normal."

What about the guns?

"That's another one of those issues. It has become normal in this city to solve your problems violently, not just with guns, but violently, so it makes it easier for somebody to pull a gun. The only way I can explain the whole thing is to go back to this issue about culture. And it's not everywhere in this country. It's in the urban areas and a lot of it has to do with poor people, socioeconomic conditions and since a lot of poor people happen to be African Americans, it is reflected more in urban areas. . . . But it could be anybody. It would be anybody under these circumstances.

"In our environment here in Detroit, part of the culture has been accepted, almost promoted that you solve problems violently, that it's about your manhood or your womanhood. It's an affront if you don't solve it by pounding on somebody or picking up a stick or a gun or something . . . and so the challenge for us is to change the culture."

Doesn't that make police officers social workers? You're talking about prevention and not having to respond after the fact.

"There's nothing wrong with police officers having a little social work in them. . . . That's what this job is. In a democracy, everybody is a social worker. You can't get around it. We're not an occupation force. We're people who get up every morning and have breakfast with our families and do a job and go home and have dinner.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.