Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Detroit Urban Bean Co. Weathering The Storm? » Archive through September 24, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1842
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 4:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure if anyone will be with me on this one. How are things going over at Urban Bean Co. (Downtown Detroit off Griswold & Grand River, on Capitol Park).

Some DYES Posters had problems a couple times. For everyone that doesn't remember; they had problems with hours, and then someone mentioned the foul language a customer used (not sure if that is their fault. That complaint reminded me of Clerks... but it's all about the customers when your the owner, so I get it).

However,

I don't boycott a place. I stop going for a few months sometimes. However, I will give them countless chances, unless it's horrible.

Their products were pretty good. The atmosphere is awesome.

Have they definately fixed the hours mix ups? It does still say 7am-10pm (8-5 on weekends) right next to a 24 hour sign.

Also, does anyone have any reviews? Have they used their DJ area? Any more complaints? What could they be doing to win our business back.

I haven't seen them around here so much (I think), I'm hoping they are doing okay. I was hoping the got better, improved (the problems were annoying, but so minor, and the kind people would eventually forget... if they fixed them quickly). I hope they aren't giving up.

So what's the word? Urban Bean Co.... Paging Urban Bean Co.... come in Urban Ben Co.!

Seriously, how are they doing?

Blondy
Username: Blondy

Post Number: 1253
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 7:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He doesn't post here. Go in there and ask him how he is doing. Better yet, go in there and spend your money frequently, then you will know that you are helping out his small business!

Forum speculation on the status of Detroit small businesses is getting old.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1845
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 7:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wasn't aiming for speculation, I was trying to help. It was an attempt to reverse some people's frustrations from the opening mini problems.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14124
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 8:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blondy,

This is merely another form of discussion...any and every business owner can join in the here and clear up mis-communication or explain their side of the story. OR obviously, admit their issues, correct them, and there will be public record of the loose ends being solved so others can begin giving them a second try!

As a business owner, you should be OVERJOYED that you might be able to catch these discussions...without the forum reflecting the feelings of some portion of the population, you might NEVER learn what you're doing right or wrong!

Customers vote with their feet, at least HERE we can learn CLEARLY why Josh may be having some difficulties with his traffic flow now.

I really like the guy and want him to succeed...but since he's a few miles from me and I only travel by foot or bike downtown, I've STOPPED trying to see if he has chosen to be open when I want some java and company. You want me to sacrifice how much of my life continually checking to see if he's chosen to be open for me today?!

I've had NOTHING but great experiences in his shop...but after the third heartbreak and two embarrassments of taking clients there for meetings...I've given up.

IF he takes measures to correct these issues, I will once again be his customer.

Again, the forum is GREAT for business owners...you would never get this form of feedback from people who have stopped doing business with you other than their absence.

Plus, you of all people should appreciate the bump in business when the forum leans your way...jeez!

Cheers!

(I get you, Sean, don't stop your e-speculating, your views are appreciated)

Blondy
Username: Blondy

Post Number: 1254
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MAYBE JOSH DOES NOT CARE TO SHARE HIS BUSINESS PRACTICES WITH THIS FORUM.

I THINK I MIGHT BE DONE WITH THIS FORUM.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 675
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Forum speculation on the status of Detroit small businesses is getting old."

Agreed 110% Blondy. Go out and support your small businesses.

Beatsworking
Username: Beatsworking

Post Number: 123
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny when people get all bent out of shape when people use this forum to, um... DISCUSS DETROIT.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 624
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, but saying certain things about a business that can't always be supported isn't always a good thing, especially when it's negative.

It's also frustrating to hear people complain about a business changing hours, changing products, etc. Try opening a business in this town, it isn't easy.

Rjlj

Post Number: 676
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What do you mean opening a business in this town is not easy? Look at all the flourishing businesses downtown. It feels like Michigan Ave. in Chicago.

Beatsworking

Post Number: 124
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Trip advisor is the *life-blood* of the Agrotourism industry. A couple of bad reviews there, you may as well close up shop. That's what took down the Stach Inn; one of the cutest little asparagus farms you'll ever see."

-Dwight K. Schrute
Assistant Regional Manager
Dunder Miflin Paper Co.

Gannon

Post Number: 14131
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

MAYBE JOSH DOES NOT CARE TO SHARE HIS BUSINESS PRACTICES WITH THIS FORUM.

I THINK I MIGHT BE DONE WITH THIS FORUM.

Maybe.

Way to over-react...just go away and then complain about how this place has gone so far downhill. You've got a good number of friends who agree with you...so you MUST be right!

Sounds just like some of our parent's generation who abandoned the city then complained about what was left behind instead of becoming part of the solution.

I encourage you to take another look, Blondy, you are missing the larger picture of how simply these threads can be turned around by merely facing the issues...VERY seldom are people SO unreasonable as to continue if their complaints are unfounded...and Detroiters seem quite forgiving of even some of the worst behavior, as long as afterwards the perps learn and grow and correct what led them to those actions.

Beats,

I wonder if that cute asparagus farm challenged their detractors or merely tried to badmouth them to others off-line. If a forum is built to NOT allow business owners to step up and defend themselves, then there is a problem with the structure of the forum...not the fact that there might be bad reviews on it!

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10397
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This forum has spread some serious comments about other small businesses in Detroit to the detriment of the owners.
Nice that anonymous people can destroy a person's reputation and their business but spreading accusations about possible issues after one visit to their establishment.

I'm with Blondy on this one.

Rjlj

Post Number: 677
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon does not get it.

Gannon

Post Number: 14132
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

List them.

I think any that had lasting negative effect either weren't challenged by the owners, or the problems were real and the owners too stubborn to take any form of constructive criticism.

HERE at least there can be a record of the discussion, showing the complaints and resolutions. For business owners, this should be the greatest thing...they can show they care.

If they turn tail and not even challenge their detractors, most are left with the assumption that they don't care.

Why is this so difficult to fathom? If the complaints are real, the owners can look and make changes IF THEY DEEM THEM WORTHY and positive for their business model. If they choose to not make the changes, explain them or simply say that is how it is.

The customer is NOT always right...but when many have the same experience, the trends exceed mere false or amplified expectations.

Same shit with analyzing college professors...doctors...whateve r. If they don't want to adapt to those who seek to do business with them...IF the requests are reasonable, like honor your posted business hours...then perhaps they don't deserve to be supported blindly!

Gannon

Post Number: 14133
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Gannon doesn't get it?

Explain yourself, this forum is merely one more form of communication...just a public one that leaves a record.

Beatsworking

Post Number: 125
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Gannon 100%.

"This forum has spread some serious comments about other small businesses in Detroit to the detriment of the owners."

And also to the BENEFIT of the owners.

I suspect Blondy has found a customer or 2 from this forum.

Hey everybody... meet Web 2.0.

This is the 21st century people. Like it or not, people are not going to stop discussing things through this public medium. I understand this is more far-reaching then, say, a conversation in a restaurant, but get used to it! Embrace it and it can be your friend.

Gannon... my quote above was from the TV show The Office... sort of relevant.

Gannon

Post Number: 14135
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd LOVE to know how many of Good Girls' clients learned about her beautiful idea here first...and I'm certain there have been more schwarma sold through the Bucharest Grille from our continual loving reports...

I think that one of the leaders of the Open City should be more enlightened on this...spin things towards the positive always, and IF they cannot be 'spun' then correct the problem if it is real and true!

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2749
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A "let's fix so-and-so's business" thread, while presumably well-intentioned, is really presumptuous and undoubtedly annoying to the business owner. Feedback is great, give it to him personally, not broadcast over the whole freakin' internet.

Would you post your issues regarding a friend or spouse on the internet to "help" them, or would you be more considerate and circumspect? This smacks of a visit from an uninvited proctologist. Yeah, you can argue that a business should welcome customer feedback in any form and fashion, but lets get real, you're not criticizing GM here, you're criticizing a person and how they're running their business. Just do it in person if you really feel the need to put your two cents in. And realize that your feedback is almost certainly not something novel and unique. Chances are the very involved business owner is aware of obvious issues. So why post it to the world?

Gannon

Post Number: 14137
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We don't talk about stuff we don't care about...I see what you're saying, and a business owner can simply say that publicly...after thanking everyone for their interest.

Business owners are usually NOT our friends and spouses...your analogy breaks down a bit there Track...but I really appreciate the sentiment and will take it to heart.

This one is tough because while I don't consider Josh close enough to be called a friend...he IS an acquaintance I respect and wish the best for...and I HAVE directly spoken to him about these things and proposed simple solutions. You can call it presumptuous to even say I know solutions to his perceived issues, I will call it a fair warning of why I may not continue to be a customer!

Part of the trouble is the whole entrepreneur paradigm...often the one with the gumption and strength and persistence to OPEN a place is the worst one to run it. It takes a whole 'nother set of skills to keep a machine running than to build one...I see this time and again. Ego gets in the way of adaptation necessary to survive.

The Entrepreneur's Dilemma...

Gannon

Post Number: 14139
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Matter of fact, from memory, MOST of these threads have been started with a question...something like, 'this happened to me, was it out of the norm?'

When others chimed in, they either corrected or confirmed it. Sometimes there is a divide...not unlike folk's understanding of a personality like Freman Hendricks...AND THAT IS PERFECTLY VALID...since we all have our own perceptions, moods, expectations, and the like.

We are all merely human, difference here is that the discussions can USUALLY be searched out and found later...and we can accumulate perceptions from a few angles over time also...which makes the forum participants a wee bit omniscient.

Yeah, I know, mere humans cannot handle it as they approach Godliness...that is inarguable.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 873
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Have they used their DJ area?

Funny you should mention that. Derrick May is going to be there tomorrow night.
http://blog.myspace.com/index. cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&frien dID=283724499&blogID=434639085

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 285
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fyi I stopped by urban today around twelve and it wasn't open. Also stopped by good girls and it was great.

www.detroitarmy.com

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2149
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think he has maintenance problems, the electricity or something. I imagine the critics on here do not own their own business that relies on customers/inventory/service. It is tough and very stressful much more stressful than most jobs. The food business in particular is very hard and usually becomes your life. People get into it thinking automatic wealth and they realize that employees aren't reliable, costs are hard to keep down, hours are ridiculous etc. This forum has a lot of influence around here and the worst thing you can do is come on here and make constant speculation about someones business. This isn't Starbucks you're talking about here. This is one guy who is basing his entire living off of this business. I've worked in the service industry for 11 years and you really see people's ugly side come out. If you want to talk about his place that's fine. But you shouldn't sit on here and nit pick at him.

Gannon

Post Number: 14141
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Deandub11,

We were on the same track...heh.

I biked by, saw that he was closed...went to pick up a friend for lunch (at the salad place on Woodward, where the owner came outside to see how our food was and politely answered my plea for real juices) and finally met Toria for dessert (who is totally service oriented, even now having SUNDAY hours...possibly after some of the feedback here, and she says it's been working out for her and thanked me for the suggestion of marketing to the churchfolk who have little to choose from on Sunday mornings)!

(wow, I'm ashamed it took so long to sample her Goodness!)

So...contrast and compare? I see two businesses that I will go out of my way for now...again and again.

Chitaku,

Who's nitpicking? We just want to do business with him, and he hasn't been OPEN during his posted hours. I think that is a bit larger than a nit.

Wow...damn, I've cut the guy all sorts of slack...it was actually being disappointed twice when I took people BY there that finally did it for me.

AND, I haven't given up on him...I tried again today. I will again in the future.

Cheers!

Raggedclaws
Username: Raggedclaws

Post Number: 227
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't see any nit -picking or negative speculating on this thread. Deandub's the only poster who's actually gone by the place.

Seems to me that this thread is mostly whining about non-existent criticism.

I think we should all take Blondy's advice and go ask this fella how he's doin'. Oh wait...he's not open...

(I've been by twice in two weeks, not open during prime coffee drinking hours - NOT A CRITICISM, JUST AN OBSERVATION, BLONDY)

Gannon

Post Number: 14143
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She is NOT rude at all. Don't you go starting shit.

Blondy is one of the most solid citizens downtown.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1204
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My overreaction is no different than hers.

Just making a point.

J_to_the_jeremy
Username: J_to_the_jeremy

Post Number: 91
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, wow. Well I can't say I read all the fighting on here, but I've stopped by UBC several times over the past few months, at different times, and have never had a bad experience.

That's all I can offer to the discussion.

Gannon

Post Number: 14145
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bearinabox,

I just read that promo...WOW...I didn't hear about Wheelhouse getting bikes stolen.

Josh DOES know how to throw a party...and with this one being a benefit for yet another business we know and love...it would be a great time to drop in and show some love and support for KbKav and her crew.

Cheers

Gannon

Post Number: 14146
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spirit, gotcha.

J, I've also had some wonderful experiences, as I said before, when I could get in there.

Cheers!