Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Has Kwame Kilpatrick Stolen City Owned Items From The Manoogian Mansion? (andylinn's 1,000th post) « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 1000
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was going to wait to post my 1,000th post to write my first ever "profound post," but instead decided to resort to another Kwame Kilpatrick theft accusation! How great is gossip? While walking by the Manoogian a couple of weeks ago, just a matter of days before the mayor moved, I was taken by the moving van outside the building. Below is a picture I took that day.

kwame movin van 1

My point is this: The city paid for ALL of the expensive contemporary furniture in the facility to be TEMPORARILY enjoyed by the mayor - until he left office - and the DIA TEMPORARILY loaned the mayor the artwork in the home. Why the hell, in that case could the mayor have ANY reason to use a SEMI if he had no (or not much) furniture of his own to move? I smell a rat. A very large criminal rat with a diamond stud firmly planted in his ear. A close up of the van reveals that it is indeed a MOVING semi, labeled "North American University Moving and Storage CO, INC."

kwame movin' van 2

As I recall, when Archer moved out, HIS decor remained until the next mayor (Kilpatrick) was elected. Looking for a good news story Free Press, News, or Metrotimes? You're welcome to my pictures if indeed I am correct. Nail this sucker.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2916
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

My point is this: The city paid for ALL of the expensive contemporary furniture in the facility to be TEMPORARILY enjoyed by the mayor - until he left office - and the DIA TEMPORARILY loaned the mayor the artwork in the home.

Source for this?

Westsiiiide
Username: Westsiiiide

Post Number: 351
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To: Fnemecek; Go back to the thread called "Manogian Mansion photo's"

from 9-21-08

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 341
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it possible the moving van took the furniture to storage? I thought I read that other furniture is still being stored from prior mayors.

On the other hand, with all the money he got, he may have been stocking up on other possessions in the house that were not on loan. Still hard to believe that it would be enough for a moving van.

I was afraid of something like this from the beginning. I hope someone was checking...

Andylinn

Post Number: 1001
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

here are some excerpts from the article that was posted on that thread:

Detroit Free Press (MI)-April 4, 2002
Author: M.L. ELRICK FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

...Four months after Dennis Archer bid adieu to Detroit's mayoral manse, Kwame Kilpatrick is ready to give his furniture the heave-ho...

...So those distinguished items -- along with dozens of others in 150 lots made up mostly of furniture, plus some artwork and mirrored wall sconces -- will be auctioned at 11 a.m. April 20. The proceeds, which could exceed $200,000, will help the Kilpatricks put their own stamp on Detroit's official residence...

..."We've got some wonderful things being auctioned, but they don't fit in with the young family of the Kilpatricks," Ernest DuMouchelle, whose downtown gallery will sell the items, said Wednesday. "With the Archers, it was a more formal type of living."...

...All were purchased for the mansion by the nonprofit Manoogian Mansion Society, which helped the Archers redecorate after Coleman Young left office in 1993 after 20 years as mayor...

Contact M.L. ELRICK at 313-223-3327 or elrick@freepress.com.

Edition: METRO FINAL
Section: NWS
Page: 1A

Index Terms: MANOOGIAN MANSION
;
AUCTION
;
KWAME KILPATRICK
;
DUMOUCHELLES
Record Number: 0204040396
Copyright (c) 2002 Detroit Free Press

Andylinn

Post Number: 1002
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bluedone, that could very well be, and I hope it is true. however, at the time that this photo was taken, it was unclear whether or not Cockerel would be moving in. At at least according to the above article, the precedent was that furniture was left so that the incoming mayor could select what they want, and then the Manoogian Mansion Society would sell and then purchase new items...

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2491
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There should be city auditors on hand for every tenant move on city owned property. But with the the DPS warehouse problems unresolved, what can you expect?

(Message edited by Bigb23 on September 30, 2008)

Westsiiiide

Post Number: 352
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember reading either an Hour Magazine or Detroit Home magazine with photo's of the NEW decor when Kwame moved in.

He just moved in December 21, 2002, almost a year after he got elected. So the article was after that.

The furnishing were super modern in the living room, and the designer was supposedly
the same interior designer
who decorated Sweet Georgia Brown and the Breakfast restaurant on Woodward downtown.

I have searched and searched & neither of the periodicals are on-line. I had the magazine but tossed it.

But yeah, I thought the same thing, like what does he have to move besides incidentals, clothing, maybe electronics. I thought the City and the Society paid for the furniture.

(Message edited by Westsiiiide on September 30, 2008)

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3463
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps, there were certain things purchased for the mayor and then he, In turn, purchased items for his children. 3 beds for growing children, maybe?

reaching here ?

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 1129
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paging Steve Wilson.

Andylinn

Post Number: 1006
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if city auditors DONT monitor this kind of stuff what do they do!? :-) looks like not much is getting audited these days...

Supergay
Username: Supergay

Post Number: 187
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Holy rabble-rousing Batman!

Is there anything going on here but idle speculation, Andy? Was it like, "I hate that guy so much I bet he's stealing furniture?"

Just curious if that's it or if there's anything more to it.

Andylinn

Post Number: 1007
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey, is there anything wrong with a rabble rousing 1000th post?!

Seriously, though... That man has nothing to fill a SEMI with, so I'm just curious what went in there.

Yeah... It's speculation. Poor Kwame.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2917
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not enough to fill a semi?

Where do you think the copies of those text messages that SkyTel delivered went? Or all of those hotel receipts?

Oh, and don't forget about the baseball bat that would've had that dancer Strawberry's blood & DNA on it along with Mrs. Kilpatrick's fingerprints.

There's lots of things that one could fit inside of a semi, plus all of the usual things like clothes and such.

Damn, this would make an interesting story if someone decided to follow it.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 645
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>>Seriously, though... That man has nothing to fill a SEMI with, so I'm just curious what went in there.<<

He does have an enormous ego.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 7375
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba is your answerman. Most of the time, movers haul more than one load in a single truck. The trucks are large enough for 5 households, packed tight. Mixed freight can be sorted later at storage sites or loading docks.

So in that truck was furniture from Thomas Edison, Henry Ford, SS Kresge, Walter Chrysler AND the convicted Mayor. All five of these households have left the city. The last one will turn out the lights.

jjaba, your answerman.

Stromberg2
Username: Stromberg2

Post Number: 122
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome back, Jjaba....where you been?

Stromberg2

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 7376
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba has been busy. Sorry for not posting.
Stromberg2, thanks for your concerns.

jjaba, Proudly Westside.

Andylinn

Post Number: 1014
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba, do you know for a fact that those places shared the semi?

Mschievous
Username: Mschievous

Post Number: 280
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andy,

SS Kresge is your clue. I think Jjaba was just pointing out that there could have been any number of groups sharing that moving van. Or am I missing something here Jjaba? :-)

Bdglsmn
Username: Bdglsmn

Post Number: 118
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard a rumor that the mummified remains of Jimmy Hoffa were in that truck as well. Evidently he was invited to the Manoogian for a party and never...

nevermind...

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1841
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who is to say that it is the mayor who hired the truck? Perhaps the city is hauling this furniture to auction off as well.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 908
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Toda, Jjaba....excellent posts!
A Very Happy New Year to You.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5647
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah, I just found out that the architect was an unknown named Miles Standish. He was a brother-in-law of the original owner before the Manoogians. I found it in a written history of the Berry Sub.

Birdie
Username: Birdie

Post Number: 71
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The DIA provides artwork to the Manoogian. Hopefully none of that fell in the truck!

Westsiiiide

Post Number: 396
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looking at this clip today from wxyz.com
the mansion sure looks a tad bit empty since KK left.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/local /story.aspx?content_id=c71f283 3-f4f1-4432-b97d-986bc8ad3f4e

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14759
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 7:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And it looks like all the speculation was backwards...he apparently DONATED things to the mansion in his rush out the door.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.