Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Just purchased a great home in BE « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cocoabee
Username: Cocoabee

Post Number: 16
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love Detroit

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2597
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations!

Cocoabee

Post Number: 17
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thank you. Although it needs some work, Im really looking forward to it.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2598
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What style of a house did you get? I really like the Crafstman style bungalows. Most of the B-E houses I've seen posted are Georgian looking.

Cocoabee

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a tudor.

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 246
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What street are you on? We were looking at a Greek Revival on Longfellow near Voigt Park but it sold before we could get an offer in.

Cocoabee

Post Number: 19
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im on Boston

Cocoabee

Post Number: 20
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that now through the end of next year is the time to buy. Id been looking for almost a couple of years.
I probably could have gotten a better deal if I had waited a little longer, but it was the home that I wanted and the location right next to friends so it worked out.
"Sometimes its not always about price", and its painfully hard for me to say those words. If it goes down a few thousand more, oh well. Lifes to short to worry about that.
I am so happy about this home.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3674
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So when will you be moving in? :-)

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 2416
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now is the time to buy. People will rent for a while instead of buying because of new credit standard issues and the economy.
I would recommend using PEX for water lines. It's cheaper and less likely to get taken:-) Good luck.

Cocoabee

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want to get all the plastering painting and things done I should be in by Thanksgiving. How fitting.
I agree with you lefty2 now is the time to buy if one can afford to. Tremendous opportunities not seen since the Great Depression.

Jtf1972
Username: Jtf1972

Post Number: 37
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Me = jealous!

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 1022
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you having a house warming party? Can we come!?!!

Stopped by a house on Longfellow that had an old carriage house out back that was converted into an upper an lower flat. Had pool party happening and was made to feel welcome. Small town type hospitality in the D.

Lobsterpots
Username: Lobsterpots

Post Number: 51
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jft1972:
Theres plenty of housing stock avail. Great prices, if you have some cash your the KING...write your own offer.
Shortly we'll have a new president, the bailout thingie has passed, . MAJOR OPPORTUNITIES ARE IN DETROIT FOR THOSE BOLD ENOUGH TO TAKE THE RISK.

Jtf1972
Username: Jtf1972

Post Number: 38
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, I am more than willing... I frequent Realtor.com and see homes that drop my jaw. I redid a former crack house I got from HUD in the 90's.

If I was not currently in school and tied to a job for the health insurance (I have some medical issues) I would have BEEN back home!

I am working on getting back.

I WILL be back.

Pistonian_revolution
Username: Pistonian_revolution

Post Number: 128
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 2:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pictures please?

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 622
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 3:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If i were a single man, i,d be in Detroit, not sure if my neighbors would want the garage i,d build but hey.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1928
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations!

Did you look at any of the cheaper homes? What kind of shape where they in for the money?

Lobsterpots

Post Number: 53
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be sure to post before and after pics.
Alot of the cheaper homes need complete overhauls, but if you buy them right, and work on one room at a time, you can have one hell of a nice home.

Lobsterpots

Post Number: 54
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be sure to post before and after pics.
Alot of the cheaper homes need complete overhauls, but if you buy them right, and work on one room at a time, you can have one hell of a nice home.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1951
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please do!

Our plan (I think) is to get a two bedroom apartment more in Midtown right after the wedding (2009). Then get a home in one of the neighborhoods. Corktown, and East English Village (EEV) were two top picks, along with a neighborhood near Indian Village. However, Boston Edison homes are so beautiful, and the neighborhood is very nice. The price, and strong possibility of good public transit on Woodward kind of give Boston Edison a boost above the other choices at the moment (although, Michigan Avenue has something in the works too).

Anyway, you'll definitely have to keep us posted on how it's all going over there.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 7770
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pex -- cheaper and easier too

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 293
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pex is also VERY easy to repair. The only way to go.

And congrats on the new home Cocoa.

(Message edited by drankin21 on October 07, 2008)

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 733
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cocoabee-

Thank you for investing in a treasure... and the city. BE is so beautiful. You'll love Detroit.

<313>

Pkbroch
Username: Pkbroch

Post Number: 143
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the world of historic Detroit communities.
When doing water line replacement check with Detroit codes. Some only allow pex for water disposal, waste lines. Also in old homes I have found plumbing problems are best left to a pro. Your BE association has a list of good plumbers.
Trust me, I have lived in a 80 year old tudor for 30 years with 4+ baths and old plumbing in Palmer Woods.
Good luck on your new home.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1954
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you need an electrician, I know of a couple really good ones. There is a team of guys I am working with. All of them are former GM employees who got laid off, or forced into early retirement. One of them has been doing electrical contracting for 30 years. So, they really know what they're doing. They do require a secure place for their vehicle though (a driveway would be sufficient for Boston Edison).

That might sound silly, but they've had problems with tool thefts in the past.

My e-mail is this name at Yahoo.com.

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 297
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 6:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PkBroch,

I have never heard of using PEX for disposal? I am fairly certain it is par with code for potable water, as I see it most rehabs and new construction around town. Just a side note, we were looking at 19320 Afton for a bit, among other foreclosures, and these days, it seems the better homes are the ones that still have their original galvanized plumbing because of the precious metal syndrome we have in our fair city. Whichever home we eventually decide on, I will most likely look to PEX for my plumbing solutions.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 390
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Invest in a big dog

Cocoabee

Post Number: 22
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

had a terrible time dealing with the city to do a final meter read and the ACR report. talk about the left hand not knowing what the right is doing. Aside from that, no major issues.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.