Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Detroit council not quite sold on condos made from containers « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sg9018
Username: Sg9018

Post Number: 257
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit council not quite sold on condos made from containers
More from the Free Press,
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20081009/NEW S01/810090352
Here is the website from the developers of the project,
www.thepowerofgreenhousing.com

(Message edited by sg9018 on October 09, 2008)

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 333
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think this could be a very cool addition Woodbridge, other cities are doing this form of housing, but $260,000 for some sheet metal is outrageous.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1554
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if you think $260k is outrageous for 1700 sq.ft. of living space, 3 bedrooms, 2-1/2 baths, + 200 sq.ft. of balconies, in a brand new building where utility costs will be 60% lower than normal then you're going to be sorely disappointed with just about anything you look at...

Hans57

Post Number: 334
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats a good number for a home that's built with traditional materials, but this is made out of sheet metal.

(Message edited by hans57 on October 09, 2008)

Rsa

Post Number: 1555
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you have any information to back that opinion up?

Youngprofessionaldetroiter
Username: Youngprofessionaldetroiter

Post Number: 445
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow. 260k is incredible for that floor plan. I don't know what BRC is thinking...that design has a cool look to it. Not to mention, I don't see a line of developers waiting in line at City Hall. Call her up and let her know what you think!313.224.1298

Detroit: Where Beggars Can Be Choosy
------------------------------ ---------

From the builder's blog...

"Final thought- Interesting they would be critical of a new cutting-edge, green, sustainable, affordable, energy efficient, NEZ project that is cleaning up the blight of the neighborhood, bringing jobs to Detroit, creating over $50k/yr in property tax revenues and supported by Woodbridge Neighborhood Development Corporation, Senator Buzz Thomas, Wayne State University and most importantly all immediate neighbors including Mayor Ken Cockrel Jr."

Hans57

Post Number: 335
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you kidding me? look at what you can get in Detroit right now for $175,000.

http://www.realtor.com/search/ listingdetail.aspx?pg=1&cmid=1 090163&dsid=176&lid=1099389185 &fhv=1

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 792
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's next? People living in old factories and warehouses? I love reading the enlightened discussion among the Freepers where the assumption is that all you'll get for your money is an empty container. But the people who comment at the Freep aren't know for being visionary (or coherent).

Rsa

Post Number: 1556
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so in your eyes a 30 year old townhouse built with outdated energy technology is the same as a brand new condo utilizing new energy efficient technologies? so then a late 70's toyota corona = prius?

Hans57

Post Number: 336
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not saying I wouldn't rather have the new construction, but for all intensive purposes, money is money.

Youngprofessionaldetroiter
Username: Youngprofessionaldetroiter

Post Number: 446
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, that's the beauty. If they don't sell at those prices, we'll let the developer lower them or back out. Either way...I'm still scratching my head to figure out why BRC is blocking it.

p.s. I called her and left a message with her assistant. I kinda got the impression that they're not used to getting to many inbound constituency calls.

Mountainman
Username: Mountainman

Post Number: 141
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Comparing living in a single family home and living in "hipster" loft/condo are considerably different in terms of mindset. Not everyone wants a single family home. They just aren't all about the aesthetic of it. In much the same way that not everyone ones to live in a loft. Diversity in terms of housing stock (as well as people) are the spice that makes urban life taste best. I'm assuming that people are buying in on the condo/loft aesthetic given the successes of the recent loft/condo boom in Detroit's core coupled with the lack of single home sales. It's worth a shot if they'll sell. Heck, it's better than another empty lot.

Rsa

Post Number: 1557
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and sticker price is sticker price. you completely ignoring location, age, technology, cost of use, maintenance/upgrading, utilities, taxes (the containers are in a NEZ, your example is not), stylistic preferences, etc.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 684
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To echo the above, for all intensive purposes, irregardless of how these ones stack up efficiencies -wise, they are totally different from single family. Alls the counsel needs to do is realize its a mute point.

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 326
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^ very funny... :-)

Lo_to_d
Username: Lo_to_d

Post Number: 101
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i watched this 'waste of taxpayer money' government decide on this last night. The vote was for approval for state brownfield development tax money. Rose-Collins is an idiot. We have a Planning Commission who can work with the developer to massage the design. Instead their vote delays (maybe kills) the project, keeps blighted buildings in the area for longer, and lets state money get swooped up by another more intelligent city governement. What's depressing is the abandoned buildings in the city, but I guess our own fucking government would like to keep it that way. Please fellow Detroit residents, don't vote for Rose-Collins again.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1605
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From reading the article in the Freep, its clear that Barbara Rose Collins has been relieved of her mental faculties.

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 716
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I know we're desperate for development, but we're not puppies," Collins said. "I'm not excited about it, and I think it would be depressing." -BRC

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 734
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CC is a joke in Detroit.

They are too ignorant and old.

They can't think outside of the box, or in this case the container!

<313>

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1368
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am no BRC fan at all. Part of the reason we need wards.

If the council member in that ward became a champion for the project, it'd probably happen. Sure, I wouldn't buy a shipping container house. But it looks like a cool idea and I think, especially in these economic times, if there's financing and someone wants to bring money to the table, DO IT.

p.s. - Good luck, YPD. They get constituent calls. They just for the most part don't answer them.

Oldestuff
Username: Oldestuff

Post Number: 91
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BRC didn't like the aesthetics. Big word for her. Drove down Rosa Parks today, just to look at the site that was proposed. Along Rosa Parks, there is new development - brick/frame square boxes - only difference that I could see was the roof line. If you think BRC sounded silly, did any of you catch Martha Reeves????? She thought if they were metal, they wouldn't blow over in a wind storm. Has she never heard of a trailer park???

Mschievous
Username: Mschievous

Post Number: 282
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

C'mon

Isn't this the same BRC who wore a tiara and a tutu to council meetings? Puleeze! And the same Martha Reeves who didn't know Tiger Stadium was being torn down right under her nose? All we need is a comment from Sharon McFailure

Deteamster
Username: Deteamster

Post Number: 172
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfuckingbelievable the lack of foresight on the part of City Council, especially BRC. She's all that is wrong with our leadership in Michigan. Totally opposed to innovation or trying anything new. We could be the leader in new, weird, green, metal housing, but no. Why? Because it could be, "depressing".
And Woodbridge- what a perfect neighborhood for it.
The city is dotted with not only vacant lots and blight but housing complexes far uglier than that.
I'm going to call that fat idiot tomorrow. It will be difficult to refrain from swearing or demanding her resignation, given her abysmal record, but I'll try to civilly put in my two cents before not voting for her in the next election.

Detroiterbychoice
Username: Detroiterbychoice

Post Number: 123
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Elect me to council. We need some new blood. Not to say that current members are not respected, but some new blood would be helpful

Mschievous
Username: Mschievous

Post Number: 283
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's totally OK to say 'current members are not respected'. 99% of them shouldn't be

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 1195
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FYI you can watch this and other council meetings online here. It was an interesting session as quite a few projects like the second phase of Woodbridge Estate were seeking brownfield approvals.

http://www.helloworld.com/memb ers_myworld.aspx?ID=DCCTV&targ et=show

(Message edited by eric on October 09, 2008)

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1217
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just watched one of the council sessions via helloworld - on the Woodbridge Estate developments.

Council had only ONE question for the entire development, and that was Martha Reeve's complaint that the street named after her was only titled M. Reeves, and she wants it to say Martha Reeves.

good god.

Ashdetroit
Username: Ashdetroit

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't wanna be a "puppy," but isn't ANY new development better than rotting, abandoned housing stock? I think BRC, Martha, and Alberta could all disappear from council tomorrow, and we'd have a better city for it. Seriously, what issues are these women actually concerned with?

As for Brenda Jones, I never hear about her. That's quite a feat when council members are throwing out the mayor and being investigated by the FBI.

I don't always agree with JoAnn Watson, Kwame Kenyatta, and Sheila Cockrel, but at least they seem to care about issues and work on projects.

Monica? Sigh. Where do you even begin.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 562
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey guys, I've seen it a lot on the forums lately, the phrase is "all intents and purposes" and not "all intensive purposes."

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 813
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed that cropping up too but in some ways, it almost works like when people say "Old Timers Disease" instead of "Alzheimer's Disease". It's not correct but they almost capture the original idea.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 703
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the container condos are worth a try. Although I do feel the price is too high. I'm all in favor of re-purposing. They're not my taste, but someone else might find them wonderful.

Irregardless isn't a word, either. S/B regardless.

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 264
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I personally think this is a cool concept...and I agree with the sentiments of other posters who say that BRC doesn't have much of a position to argue from; after all, there are far worse things in Detroit than a new design that will be occupied. Aesthetics should always be considered, but I don't see this condo development as being any more offensive than a burned-out or abandoned home, or some of Detroit's more unpleasant industrial sites. In fact, it's pretty appealing in its simplicity, eclectic design, and environmental friendliness. Also, as an example of new construction that didn't work and was better off not being built, look at the cheap, vacant "shotgun"-type houses that were built within the past decade in areas of Detroit and Highland Park. No one has brought this quote from the Freep article into the thread yet, but Martha Reeves was quoted as saying that "there are bohemian-type people in our society who like this idea." Which pretty much nails it...this is a progressive and different idea, and already has some potential buyers--which is saying a lot for any kind of new construction at this point in time.

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 334
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe council is right... maybe not. Here is a link to a posting on the Planet Green site about shipping container housing.

http://www.treehugger.com/file s/2005/01/shipping_contai.php

Also, if you saw the recent architecture exhibit at MOCAD, you saw a small sample room built this way. You could walk around in it. It seems that it could be very livable if constructed properly.

There are plenty of areas in Detroit with traditional architecture that work just fine, thank you... but there are whole swaths that have failed miserably. Let's experiment. The developer wants to invest $1.8 million (I think that's the amount) on this project, which isn't pocket change. If they believe in the project that much, let them build it. See what happens.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2921
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Thats a good number for a home that's built with traditional materials, but this is made out of sheet metal.

Why would something that lowers the homeowners utility bills also lower the value the home? Generally speaking, lower utility bills are a good thing that would drive a home's value up; not down.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 2541
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i bought a nice house for 5 grand. will be paid off in less than two years in rent.

Not sheet metal, corrugated steel.
BTW I like the cargo container reuse as buildings. A little insulation and sheet rock these could make very cool dwellings. I want to build some myself. With all the china containers coming here it is a good reuse of materials.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.