Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » What IS it about walking in the road and not on the sidewalk!!?? » Archive through October 06, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lizaanne
Username: Lizaanne

Post Number: 111
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just don't get it - can someone please enlighten me?

I see this in Detroit a lot, especially on Woodward - and in Hazel Park as well. What is it about people refusing to walk on the sidewalk any more?

I was driving down Hughes in HP last week, just north of 8 Mile. There were two people, late teens early 20's, walking in the middle of my side of the road. I slowed down when I approached them, and finally had to HONK to get them the hell out of my way to avoid driving on the wrong side of the road, or hitting them. And they gave ME the dirty looks!!!

I'm sorry - but I just don't get it. What am I missing here? The sidewalks aren't any good anymore?

~lizaanne

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3355
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We've dealt with this question a lot. I have finally gotten to the point where I understand why some people choose the street over the sidewalk at times.

As for their nasty looks at me when I drive by them, I'll never get that.

Zimm
Username: Zimm

Post Number: 91
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that's a symptom of the culture of poverty. it's contagious.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 642
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've heard three reasons:

1. Territorial -- they are showing they "own" the street and neighborhood.

2. Convenience -- the sidewalks are overgrown, damaged, or non-existent, and it's just easier to walk in the road.

3. It's a Southern thing -- passed down from when Southern blacks moved to the city. In the old south, there were few sidewalks, and walking in the street was more common. This sounds like bull IMHO.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14394
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome, Lizanne...although in 111 posts somehow we've never crossed paths here...

...we've covered this in the past. Far as we can tell, people are concerned with their safety...but only so much so.

They will walk in the road in order to avoid doorways and corners and bushes where individuals may jump out at them...but think nothing of strolling in traffic in dark clothing at night. I attribute it to the lack of physics training...perhaps most just don't understand momentum.

I caught myself walking in the road yesterday, but only because I had to wade through the throngs of Lions masochists on the way to another crowd of Wings fans...when they bunched up the sidewalk I thought nothing of using the first lane of traffic...until it dawned on me that I was acting like I was FROM the 'hood.

Cheers

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3356
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live on the Hamtramck-Detroit border, and there is something I've noticed. People walk down the street and often can tell that they've crossed from the hood into Hamtramck. And, often, once they leave Hamtramck, they stroll out into the street for their walking. And, coming in from Detroit, they suddenly avail themselves of the sidewalk.

Mind you, I don't see it all the time, but sitting on my porch and smoking and watching the neighborhood, I've seen this. And I suspect there is some subtle psychogeography at play here.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 411
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I take my little chitlins out for a walk, I find us in the street (of course, they are only following me). I do not live in "the hood" these days. It just feels less confining, and people tend to not like for people to walk on their grass. Like Moe used to say, "spread out!"

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1238
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last week I was on Fort Street when I approached Southwestern HS. I literally had to come to a complete stop as three girls slowly walked across the street. If they were moving any slower they would have been going backwards. The kicker was when one of the girls glanced over at me and gave me a look as if to say you're damn right we're taking our time.

I've observed similar acts like this many times.
It always comes across as some weird power trip that they get from making people wait for them. It seems to fit in Gsgeorge's reason #1.

Cycledetroit
Username: Cycledetroit

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the city should give out tickets to people walking in woodward at night.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 2445
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This brings up a dress question I see often. Why do men wear baggy clothes and women wear tight clothes?

Izzyindetroit
Username: Izzyindetroit

Post Number: 110
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the city should give out tickets to people riding their bikes on the streets at night.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3357
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have lots of lights, including a headlight and flashers on my bike. Ticket for me too? :-)

Izzyindetroit

Post Number: 111
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"This brings up a dress question I see often. Why do men wear baggy clothes and women wear tight clothes?"

Its stylish.

Cycledetroit
Username: Cycledetroit

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jaywalking is against the law, and should be ticketed. Riding your bike in the street is not against the law and should not be ticketed. It is safer for a bicyclist to be in the street in a bike lane, if available. It is NOT SAFE for people to be walking across the middle of woodward at night. It causes distractions for drivers and puts many people at risk.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3731
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"This brings up a dress question I see often. Why do men wear baggy clothes and women wear tight clothes?"

It demonstrates extreme immaturity.

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 572
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One day I was going down Van Dyke when a few kids walked into the street right in front of my car I had to slam on the brakes and slid within in a few feet of them. I could see the look of horror on there faces they wised up and jumped back on the sidewalk . I must admit it scared the hell out of me to

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1942
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up in Detroit and I would walk in the street. This was to be more aware of your surroundings and give you better time to react to either someone trying to jump you or a mean dog. I don't understand why folks won't move over when they see a car coming down the road, I guess the crack babies are just a little slower than us.

Ray kids with baggy pants have no business walking in the streets, they can't move fast enough from the cars. Come to think of it they should not be on the sidewalks either.

(Message edited by detroitplanner on October 06, 2008)

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3359
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, back in the 1970s, as a white kid, I gotta say that it was drilled into me relentlessly that I had to watch out for cars and couldn't be in the street unless I had done so. They really drove it home: Lectures from police, instructional movies, public service announcements, crossing guards, etc. Why expect similar behavior from people who haven't has such strict inculcation?

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 177
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No problem for the Urban Motorist. Just drive a 20 year old hooptie and take advantage of the mis-placed pedestrians by utilizing them as your new "hip-hop" hood ornament!

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 689
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

10 points!

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3361
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Thanks for the ride, lady!" :-)

Long_in_the_tooth
Username: Long_in_the_tooth

Post Number: 129
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

speed bumps

Izzyindetroit

Post Number: 112
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cycledetroit maybe you would agree with Emma Bully Cummings on this topic?

http://thisblogisabomb.blogspo t.com/2007/06/detroit-police-c hief-jaywalking-problem.html

Lets not all forget that pedestrians always have the right-away. If everyone who is bitching about people walking in the street (the effect) focused their energy on bitching about fixing the lights, sidewalks, crime, and blight (the cause), we wouldn't have to worry so much about it.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3693
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shopping carts...:-)

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3732
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Lets not all forget that pedestrians always have the right-away."

Oh, Izzy, you're so wrong. Detroit ordinances (and most 'burbs) make it illegal to walk in a roadway where sidewalks are provided; illegal to cross mid block and interfere with traffic; or to cross against a red/don't walk signal and interfere with traffic.

This does not mean that a driver should speed up and try to mesh the ped into his grille if he sees such a pedestrian violation, of course.

Tempting as it may be.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 598
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lizanne-You think thats bad....
I was taking a walk in the Woodward Heights/John R area the other day. A teen in an Impala comes barreling down the side street at about 50 MPH.He yells at a kid on a slow-moving spree-type motorized vehicle, doing about 15 mph, then they laughed. The kid looked at me (a total stranger)and said "Thats my boy. I challenged him to a race".
Theres your stereotypical Hazel Park way of thinking for you.
Actually, in North Hazel Park, I rarely encounter people walking on the street. On my particular block, they usually still use the sidewalk. The only exception is with bicyclists.

Duke_sims
Username: Duke_sims

Post Number: 69
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I see idiots walking in the middle of the street, I always lean over to my glove compartment and pretend I'm fumbling for something and can't see the pedestrians ahead of me.

I guaran-goddamn-tee you, they jump out of the way EVERY TIME, because they aren't sure whether or not I see their stupid asses.

As someone said earlier in the thread, it's a way for them to show "Hey, I own the street, and I don't have to get out of the way for NOBODY."

It's their pathetic way of trying to seize some little sliver of power, since they don't have any REAL power in their sorry little lives.

Lizaanne
Username: Lizaanne

Post Number: 112
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahhhh - so it all comes down to entitlement.

I should have figured. I'm so damned tired of everyone thinking they are entitled to everything.

You know, here in Hazel Park, we DO have nice roads, nice sidewalks, excellent police department, and not horrible crime. So why the heck do they still think they need to hide from the thugs here too? Entitlement.

Sick of it.

Well - thank you all, this has certainly been enlightening.

(Gannon - I do need to come back more often and post, but I am a really good lurker. ;-) )

~lizaanne

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 421
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone noticed the simultaneous phenomenon of walking in the streets and roadside memorials?

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3364
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's one way to deal with people in the street.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =gSa86Ci5thU