Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Ted Nugent » Archive through October 10, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mickeymac
Username: Mickeymac

Post Number: 34
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why are yall's take on Ted Nugent?

I know some people dont like him because of his political views, and his music.

I like the Lourdes and the Amboy Dukes, but I dont like his solo work. I dont agree with everything he says, but at least he has the guts to speak his mind. Also whenever he mentiones his home turf of Detroit, he always acknowledges the Funk Brothers. He gets high points with me for that one.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3389
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's a ground-breaking rock musician and a total idiot.

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 2262
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nugent should follow the same advice all of his political brethren screamed at the Dixie Chicks when they voiced their political views -

"Just shut up and sing!"

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 2096
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ted did a "benefit" show for developmentally disabled kids in Northern Michigan. He wouldn't show up until paid his fee for doing the "benefit". $10,000 I think was the number.

During his sound check before the actual show, someone brought some of the kids to watch him warm up on stage. Ted promptly said into the stage mic "Get these retards outta here until Im done".

Exactly what I would expect from him.

Ive never been able to listen to Stranglehold the same way since then.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 491
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to be involved with a youth alcohol & drug treatment program. We ran "The Great American Drug Bust" annually. Folks could pay to have friends arrested who then had to raise donations for their bail. Pretty common fund raiser. Nugent was our "celebrity arrestee" one year. He drove in from Jackson with his wife & spent the whole day with us. Got us publicity on all the rock stations and helped raise a whole bunch of money. Had a lot of fun with him. Down-to-earth as all get out.

Great guy as far as I'm concerned.

Jarvo
Username: Jarvo

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

he is so full of himself its sickening...
he is a phoney...in the same vain as rush limbaugh...always professing how "we as americans" need to live our lives...when his own backyard is not what he claims it to be...
he is such a great patriot and upstanding and honorable citizen who loves our country and supports its troops...the mention of his name kinda rubs me the wrong way
yet ask him to tell us how he avoided the draft and his chicken-shit stance on the vietnam war, being the great loyal patriot that he is.
...or how he treated his first wife... or how he was touring and raking in tens of millions of dollars and was damn near bankruptcy himself...

i used to enjoy his music and his live performances when i was a youngin' way back in the 60's and 70's...but now i think he is full of shit and is just another tool for the lame-ass greedy right wing

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 8844
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He plays a mean guitar, and can shoot a bow like nobody's business.

End of his talent list.

Long_in_the_tooth
Username: Long_in_the_tooth

Post Number: 137
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kill'em an Grill'em

Duke_sims
Username: Duke_sims

Post Number: 74
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nugent is way overrated. Yeah, he had a couple good songs -- but so did Mott the Hoople. Big whoop.

And I'm glad Ted enjoys hunting. So does my Uncle Joe. The difference is, my Uncle Joe is too busy actually hunting to spend his time constantly telling everybody about it.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 181
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You have to take a celebrity's endorsement with a grain of salt. When they get out of their realm of expertise, they often don't know what the hell they are talking about.
Ted gets pretty obnoxious when he gets political.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1246
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't see what the big deal is.
There are plenty of Hollywood stars who talk about politics, but it's not like they force their way into your living room. If you don't like turn the channel/station. These people are pretty easy to ignore.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 418
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Ted does his fair share of hunting, enough so to speak in an informed way regards ecology. I don't see how one like him can be "overrated", because he's largely dismissed when it comes to being regarded as anything beyond a sort of comic-book persona. But he's been just that for 40 years. I, and friends, like alot of his work, perhaps Free For All (with some good contributions from Meat Loaf) is about his most substantive work. But he also gets alot of criticism's.

He's known to have bad personnel problems, and private-life issues (while maintaining all the while how he is so "toxic-free").

But I think he's alright. He speaks well of Michigan. He's a lightining rod for retaliatory remarks, but that's his style. He'd probably think me a complete whimp, though, cuz I don't hunt. But there ya go.

In my book, his most memorable saying is when he can be heard at the end of Baby Please Don't Go, from Double Live Gonzo:

"San Antonio! San Antonio! Suck my bonio!"

And that cover of George Harrison's "I Got To Tell You" was a pretty, ummmm, unfortunate endeavour. I have heard that Cliff Davie's... ah, forget it. Still, Ted was one of the best concerts I attended as a yunggin scruffian.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 130
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He was smart enough not to fall into the destructive hard drug culture that ruined so many in the late sixties. Accomplished showman with a sense of humor. Hard worker who played a good guitar.
Obnoxious, egotistical and narrow minded, which he has a right to be. I wish he'd lighten up, come back down to earth and show a little kindness and understanding to those who do not agree with him. Maybe play some inspired, original music again.
Time to take a journey to

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 2488
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He believes anyone who can wake up to an alarm clock and go to work should. He believes people should carry their own weight and not be entitled to something just because they are alive.

This is scary to most libs who want government to control many aspects of your life.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 1011
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like how he tries to explain how the song Journey To The Center Of The Mind is not about drugs. Yeah right.

Lferg
Username: Lferg

Post Number: 31
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've never been a huge fan of Ted's music, but can't hear his name without thinking about Detroit!

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 2490
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was written by the group's guitarist, Steve Farmer.
Nugent said he never did drugs and punched someone into a pool in high schools when they wanted him to hit a j.

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 581
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2 things I don't like about ted first he is a chicken hawk he admitted it in a free press article years back.
second most of his hits were sung by Derrick ST Holmes but never would give the guy any credit to the guy saying there could only be one alpha male in the band strangle hold was sung by Derrick and many others

Youdummy
Username: Youdummy

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I told my parents many times that I never did drugs, but that never made it true. I also didn't appear on an album that's cover was nothing but bongs and hash pipes.

Izzyindetroit
Username: Izzyindetroit

Post Number: 114
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really enjoyed his VH1 tv show a few years back. It was terribly trashy entertaining. I especially liked when he would keep the anti-gun and animal rights activist just to make them suffer and entertain himself.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1760
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Ted had served in the Vietnam Era instead of going through all kinds of shenanigans so he wouldn't have to be a soldier...he might have some respect from those of us old enough to remember. It'd be different if he was a conscientious objector. He wasn't, and isn't. Chicken. Hawk.

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 582
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.timesargus.com/apps /pbcs.dll/article?AID=/2006052 8/NEWS/605280336/1015/EDUCATIO N05
also google ted nugent chickenhawk

Larryinflorida
Username: Larryinflorida

Post Number: 3061
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Controversy sells.
Musicians er Arti...um Guitar Players that have a right leaning view are the exception and automatically controversial.
But much of his culture is from being weaned on pure Mort Neff and Jerry Chipetta.
Michigan Outdoors, lol.

And while the need to be hunter-gatherers has diminished in our society, We may see a return for self-sufficiency, and bagging your own quarry to eat, depending on the outcome of the election.

So he may just be ahead of his time.

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 5084
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hitler was a decent artist and the worst human being ever. Personality, humanity and creativity often have no relationship.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 633
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 2:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As Peter Werbe said 'GREAT GUITARIST' and leaves it at that. My whole life i,ve heard so many things good and bad about Ted so who to belive.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 609
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 4:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to wonder how much of what we hear is really him, or if he's very good at putting on an act to fit an image. Much of what he says just seems too exaggerated to be serious, like he has to work hard at it.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1225
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody who endorses Detroit in their music and views is cool with me. I grew up listening to Ted and like many of his songs. I dont really like to listen to him talk so I just turn the station.
Everyone on here blasting him for being out spoken seem to be the same type to me.
And why bring Hitler in to this, wow!

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 8848
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell! Reductio ad Hitlerum!

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 391
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL!Lowell

Mickeymac
Username: Mickeymac

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's Hitler got to do with this.