Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Mercury Coffee Bar Opening « Previous Next »
Archive through October 18, 2008Gravitymachine30 10-18-08  9:31 am
Archive through October 24, 2008Viziondetroit30 10-24-08  8:00 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Hubbardfarmer
Username: Hubbardfarmer

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No pics, but a $12 bill for two small coffees and a piece of pastry. All of it was very good, for sure. But we won't be going there every day.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 1020
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went today, Had a panini and a Black Cat espresso. Great staff. I give it two thumbs up. I'll be going back soon.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2208
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

which one did you get? I really love the ham and spicy cheddar. The Ham we get is very high quality stuff.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 1062
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 1:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A+

decor on the main floor is mind blowing. coffee some of the best i've had... ever.

when I went, I stepped down stairs for a sec and saw phil cooley sanding away on the bar. is the decor downthere still in progress? what will the final result be?

i have a feeling i will be a (very) frequent mercury customer.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1573
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 3:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is great!!! Close enough to take a stroll with my wife

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 1124
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Really, seriously good coffee imo, and the bacon chedder panini was excellent, too. I too wish I could afford to stop in for breakfast every day - but cash is king now and I have to save, save, save.

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 335
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Intelligentsia Coffee is considered to be among the best roasters anywhere.

Wabashdetroit
Username: Wabashdetroit

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I ate at the Mercury Bar last night. The food was delicious. I had the beet/goat cheese salad and a panini sandwich with pesto. I'm looking forward to going back.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 1017
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 4:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cafe de Troit had Intelligentsia coffee... *swoon* I am glad the coffee has found it's way back to me.... :-)

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2384
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i like the fast coffee, and i want to try the some of the pastries, but i think a lot of the menu items are just too esoteric for my tastes

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14766
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stretch those taste buds, G-machine!

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1577
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love this place...I had 4 expressos(flat white) made by Ben. His service was great and he educated me on the beans from Intelligentsia coffee. I am definitely a regular

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1861
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you ever get a chance and you are in Chicago, you should to Intelligentsia coffee shop. It is just north of Wrigley Field a few blocks. When I hear the description of the Mercury Coffee Bar, it reminds a lot of Intelligentsia. And I loved that place so I will love Mercury if it is a lot like it. Can't wait to stop by.

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 337
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We stopped in on Sunday and had lunch. Great sandwiches, good coffee, nice place. I liked it. Very busy the entire time we were there.

Newlaster
Username: Newlaster

Post Number: 264
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob-

There are three Intelligentsia coffee bars in Chicago.

Two are in the Loop area. One is one the north side, several blocks SOUTH and EAST of Wrigley Field in East Lakeview.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 307
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was in earlier this week with a friend--we caught the end of the lunch rush, and the afternoon coffee crowd was beginning to arrive. Everything was great, including the helpful and well-organized staff. I think they've got a hit on their hands. As winter deepens, I think people will start using the basement, which I personally liked.

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 311
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's another Detroit News article on the Mercury Coffee Bar...

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20081106/O PINION03/811060308/1032/ENT

Ednaturnblad
Username: Ednaturnblad

Post Number: 34
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had lunch there yesterday and there was a lot to like. The interior is warm and bright, there was lots of people behind the counter - all very friendly. We chose to eat downstairs because we wanted a big table. The food came, nicely presented, in a reasonable amount of time. Everything we had (sandwiches, salads and soups) was good. We were told they use Avalon bread for their sandwiches. The coffee was excellent. We chose to sample some sweets and got three different things - all were good.

Criticisms - while the food was good, our bill for a bowl of soup, a sandwich, a cookie and tip was $20. No complaints about the product, but as someone who eats lunch out almost every day during the week, this will be a "every once in a while" destination for me. Twenty bucks is too much to spend on a lunch like that all the time. For under ten dollars, I can stuff myself sick at Evie's Tamales and leave the waitress a nice tip - there are many other such places like this.

That said, there are enough people with enough disposable income to support a place like the Mercury. It's wonderful to see a living business on a corner that was dark for so many years - I wish them all the best and look forward to my next visit there.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 720
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I ate there a week ago and had the best lemon bar ever -- and surprisingly there was no alcohol in it despite it being a "bar."

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1015
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^I think most lemon bars are nonalcoholic. Maybe you've found yourself a niche, though. You should open a bakery.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 1024
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And why is there a bar exam for lawyers, shouldn't it be for bartenders?

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 2056
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just got this email

"THE MERCURY COFFEE BAR.
Come and enjoy Mercury’s signature: Slow coffee, teas, vegetarian selections, soups, sandwiches, 3 cheese grits, and a selection of delectable desserts.
The vegetables and products that are used come from Michigan based farms and companies! During your visit, please observe the great customer service.

2163 MICHIGAN AVE (CROSS THE STREET FROM SLOWS Bar-B-Que) NEAR THE OLD TRAIN STATION IN THE SHADOWS OF SOUTHWEST DETROIT!!!
Open FROM 7:00 AM TO 10:00 PM "

Putnam
Username: Putnam

Post Number: 132
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit
Post Number: 2041
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 8:00

Anyone have pics?

http://www.cloverleafwine.com/ forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=754 &p=25961&#p25961

And here's Jane's treatment:

http://www.metrotimes.com/food /review.asp?rid=24641

You "young white hipsters" you.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2412
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there are a few valid points made in that metro times article regarding the relevance of the menu items.

(Message edited by gravitymachine on November 13, 2008)

Evander
Username: Evander

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

re: jane slaughter

please.

when will detroit learn to stop hating itself so much?

she really deserves a loogie in her next panino for that piece of shit review.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 684
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went there for breakfast on Saturday, Interesting place, nice staff, breakfast was ok, a little pricy we all thought, the cookies were excellent. All of us agreed that we thought it is a good place to go for a coffee and dessert, we would probably cross the street to Slows to eat though.

Melocoton
Username: Melocoton

Post Number: 51
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like Mercury, but I think Slaughter makes a totally valid point. She says that its stated mission, to bring healthy, locally grown food to the Detroit "food desert," confronts the reality that it's priced beyond what most Detroiters can afford, and the menu items are pretty unfamiliar to non-foody types. So the place ends up catering to those who already can shop at Eastern Market, Whole Foods, etc--kind of like upscale environmentalism. One suggestion I have (which admittedly might make the prices higher-it's not easy what they're trying to do) would be to buy Detroit-grown produce, so that Mercury would be addressing the city's food problem on the production end, rather than hoping that the masses will eventually develop a taste for goat cheese.

She says that the food and coffee are great, btw, but I think the other point is valid.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 453
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, that Metro Times article posted above was so negative, someone who wrote in the comments section defended the Mercury Bar by referencing it to the Slow Food Movement in Detroit. Wasn't aware this group had a chapter in the city--

Slow Food Detroit

If it was mentioned on this forum, I must have missed it. In any case, glad to hear about this bit of good news.

Evander

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure some of you know or are friends with jane slaughter and that's why you are defending her here. but that review was a condescending self-righteous hatchet job.

who are these anti-gentrification nutjobs who seem compelled to criticize anyone trying to turn an empty storefront into a viable business?

seriously, wtf? maybe jane slaughter should go try the coffee over at the rescue mission because that's about all there was in that part of town before these hipster mofos started doing their thing. or maybe she should get beyond the provincial self-righteous second-semester identity politics bullshit.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3631
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love how one slight critique of Mercury means she's against Phil, hipsters, Slows, Mercury and viable business. That's rich. And anybody who'd defend the review is a friend of Jane. I dunno, Evander. Defensive much? :-)

Southwestmap

Post Number: 1130
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in the neighborhood and I love it. I love that it has careful, fine food and beautiful, too.

By the way, Jane lives in the neighborhood, too (I think). She's more egalitarian and her Metro times audience is too. No problem to me.

Putnam

Post Number: 133
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Give me guns AND lettuce!

The food and drinks aren't good, they're gorgeous. I think adaptability will be helpful all around, but it doesn't seem to me that there is exactly an over-supply of food sources standing firm on principles of quality. And that's true in city and burbs alike.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2225
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jane Slaughter's articles are all jokes. She barely does her research and makes a point to be negative.I especially love how she calls out Todd for living in Ann Arbor, and also points out the lack of black folks working there (which is not true). She did the same hack job to Cafe D' Mongos with a lack of research. Jane if you are on here, someone should "slaughter" your articles......oohhhh!

(Message edited by chi-taku on November 13, 2008)

Putnam

Post Number: 134
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To the extent that the mission statement implies Mercury is bringing good food directly to the disadvantaged of Detroit, I think it needs to be tested and reconsidered.

Evander

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"jane slaughter" is apparently not even a real person. whoever wrote that piece is just a coward, plain and simple.

there is a deeper issue here, and that is there is a population of deeply-entrenched losers who hate progress and love to bolster the lashing out that results from their deep self-loathing by using the tired rhetoric of anti-gentrification established in vibrant cities elsewhere that have absolutely nothing to do with detroit and its myriad problems. "jane slaughter" is just such a person, probably a white, over-educated self-hating Exhibit A for gentrification herself. she bases her entire critique on some statements made by the "majority owner" as part of some task force, not the business's website or published "mission statement." what a twat.

or maybe she was just spurned by someone involved in these michigan avenue developments and is taking it out in the most petty and immature way possible.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3636
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree there's a deeper issue here, but I think it may involve you, Evander. :-(

Evander

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

zing!

Putnam

Post Number: 135
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, since we all agree it is the food and beverages that really matter, and that they are already at a very high level, I'd like to discuss the use of a straight Brazilian bean blend in an espresso. (I hope I'm not divulging any secrets.) How radical is that? I've never heard of such a thing.

I wonder if this formula might appeal to the same person who likes very malty double IPAs, or Australian Shiraz.

Southwestmap

Post Number: 1131
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm pretty sure it is her real name. See this wikipedia entry:

"Jane Slaughter (born January 9, 1949) is an American journalist who writes frequently on labor affairs. Her writing has appeared in The Nation, The Progressive, Monthly Review, and In These Times. She is based in Detroit.

Slaughter edited the labor journalism magazine Labor Notes for many years. Before becoming a freelance journalist, she worked for several years as a UAW activist.

Slaughter is the author of Concessions and How To Beat Them and co-author, with Mike Parker, of Choosing Sides: Unions and the Team Concept and Working Smart: A Union Guide to Participation Programs and Reengineering. She is also the editor of Troublemaker's Handbook 2."

Evander

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if that's true, my bad. I thought I'd read somewhere in the MT comments that it was a pseudonym.

Melocoton
Username: Melocoton

Post Number: 52
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would encourage people to read the actual review. Also, more importantly, pay them a visit. But if you see Evander there, be careful not to make any sudden moves.

Detx
Username: Detx

Post Number: 204
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MT always seems to go to great lengths to state that something is either "white this" or "white that" and it's always disparaging. This review is a perfect example.

MT has became stale and partisan. It would serve them well to shake things up a bit, starting with the canning of the hack Lessenberry and racial divider Slaughter.

Blueeyes313
Username: Blueeyes313

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I walked up with my neighbors recently, had some coffee, a delicious brownie and got a panini to go. Thumbs up!

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 962
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good stuff at Mercury bar.
3.50 for a cookie and 8.50 for a small salad though so you really pay for it.

Blueeyes313
Username: Blueeyes313

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vas is right thumbs up again for this one

(Message edited by BlueEyes313 on November 14, 2008)

Sarah
Username: Sarah

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very nice... agree slightly pricey for everyday but the food and coffee was great.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2105
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 3:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the forum Blueeyes313, I too give Mercury a Thumbs Up and Jane Slaughter a Thumbs Down.

Scarlet_crush
Username: Scarlet_crush

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought Jane's article was patronizing to the black community. Also, really don't understand why she came down so hard on race politics. Remember, she's a food writer, so I really felt the issue was rather out of place. Who says black folks can't enjoy a freakin' panino, or whatever it's called? It's a sandwich! Are black people unfamiliar with ham and bread? C'mon. I mostly find it strange that she came down on a coffeehouse, yet loved Zaccaro's, which as I resident of the neighborhood, I find *nice*, but essentially useless to me. Not to add to an already tired debate, but when I read the article, I gotta say, I found it pretty absurd and disappointing.

Putnam

Post Number: 136
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a Flat White (ironic pun?) and tres leches tonight. Perfect! The house was packed too, in the rain no less. Maybe the review helped...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =ZwfXOg_yn-w

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.