Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Keep Calm and Carry On « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14597
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This just in from the Bureau of Urban Living.

Bureau of Urban Living Poster Pic borrowed from their website

Brilliant, every home and office should have one, and I want to see the t-shirts become ubiquitous!

The fashion item for 2008...and beyond.

HUGE cheers for this one, we will be needing this reminder SO soon...

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2005
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, I love it.

Good find!

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 566
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IMHO: Almost perfect. I'd like to see it in green (grass/trees) or blue (duh water). Red is not much of a calming color. Excitable, volitle...also, reminds me of fire, something Detroit seems to have issues with.

Gannon

Post Number: 14621
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, they copied the basic design of an old London WWII-era campaign.

I'm all for better colors, or at least choices.

So few people are aware of the psychology of color...great post Eastsidedame!

Gannon

Post Number: 14622
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is the full text of their press release, or at least what showed up in FaceBook (thanks, Jill)

quote:

In 1939, facing the threat of German bombardment and invasion, the British Government's Ministry of Information created bright red posters which bore the crown of King George VI and a simple message imploring citizens to "Keep Calm and Carry On."

This simple message to ease the nerves of a city under siege is particularly apt for Detroit, which suffers from the wounds of past social unrest and political tumult of the present.

The aim in re-imagining these posters for our city is to applaud the individuals and groups who work hard every day to renew hopefulness and pride in Detroit.

Today, as Detroit undergoes a leadership transition and celebrates the 50th anniversary of our iconic Spirit of Detroit statue, we challenge Detroiters to heed the same call: KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON.

Limited-edition posters (20x28")
- $30 rolled
- $70 framed

T-shirts (Sizes SM-XXL)
- $24 chocolate brown

Printed in Detroit

Now available exclusively at:

Bureau of Urban Living
460 West Canfield Street
Detroit, MI 48201
http://www.bureauliving.com
Tues-Sat 11-7

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1365
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

keep calm and carry one

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2007
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 1:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad you're helping society move forward, thecarl...

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1368
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 2:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks sean. not everybody appreciates a blend of humor, insight, and introspection.

9936sussex
Username: 9936sussex

Post Number: 196
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 7:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a copy of the original poster (the British one). Bought it quite a while ago from a used bookstore in northern England off the internet. I love it.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2010
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 8:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Overplayed

Gannon

Post Number: 14627
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, if everyone DID keep calm, and carry hardware, the record shows that crime goes way down.

The moment FL increased the availability of concealed carry, the crooks only went after those they KNEW to be more likely to be unarmed...the tourists driving rental cars. They were EASY to spot back then because FL had a code, all rentals had the letter Z as the first digit (if memory serves correctly).

You are likely too young to remember the spate of German tourists robbed, shot, and/or killed during that time, Sean. For many, it was a crime WAVE, the Germans certainly thought SO! It was the opposite.

Same when Louisiana allowed liberal concealed carry against the earliest trend of carjacking. The episodes went from epidemic to nearly vanishing in a very short duration afterwards.

Guns are just guns, people kill people...and if they are available in any form to crooks, it is best that random solid citizens have equalizers...especially if they are level-headed against aggression, and crack shots under pressure. Both traits can be tested and ranked.

There goes MY two cents...and another distraction from a decent thread.

Cheers

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2012
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, good points. I think the general fear is that you would be giving them to everyone. If that worked, we should take it a step further. Instead of trying to ban weapons of mass destruction, we should just give them to every country.

In all honesty, there is a good chance they would kill each other, and themselves. The risk already is being overlooked, or ignored. People pull guns on each other, despite the fact that the victims may have a gun too.

This isn't my belief, but I can understand the other side's argument.

Gannon

Post Number: 14760
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 7:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump, ignore the tangential commentary!

Keep Calm and Carry On, appearing in THE downtown deli soon!

Cheers

Spidergirl
Username: Spidergirl

Post Number: 351
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.threadless.com/prod uct/1466/Now_Panic_and_Freak_O ut

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 332
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought the T shirt with the gun was funny but then I thought the T shirt, Detroit Where the Weak get Eaten was funny too. The slogan An Armed Society is a Polite Society is also apt.

What is also funny is that I don't own a gun and never will.

Seanmg
Username: Seanmg

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 2:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.keepcalmdetroit.com

Lnfant
Username: Lnfant

Post Number: 190
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the tee is printed on BROWN cotton, a more flattering color to wear than the orange-red used in the poster.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 881
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the idea. Now if only it came in a sweatshirt for all of us cold-blooded folks.

Thanks for the heads-up, Gannon.

Blueeyes313
Username: Blueeyes313

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sweet Gannon. Love it.

(Message edited by BlueEyes313 on November 14, 2008)

Blueeyes313
Username: Blueeyes313

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, I would like it in a calm color like blue that's a calm color.

Long_in_the_tooth
Username: Long_in_the_tooth

Post Number: 148
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$30!!!!
oh for fucks sake......

Illustrator....Helvetica...Spi rit of Detroit PDF..

are you kidding me... they stole it... so can you.

oh, and Gannon, could you please limit your response so I do not have to scroll.

P L E A S E ! ! ! ! !

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2207
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 6:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are days we need one of these in every room of our home.... and work.... and car... and everyone we know's home.

Ahhh Michigan. It gets no better than this. You just have to remember how life works. :-)

220hendrie1910
Username: 220hendrie1910

Post Number: 82
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Long_in_the_tooth writes:
quote:

Illustrator....Helvetica...Spi rit of Detroit PDF..

Before you go buying fonts, it's Gill, not Helvetica - British, not Swiss. :-)

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1456
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go print it yourself, Long_In_The_Tooth... see how much large format printing costs.

I can't find one-offs less than $45 at that size, and you gotta wait, and it's probably not printed locally... which is part of the point. I don't have the spare time, and if I did, the last thing I would do is waste it on something I can easily acquire AND get a good conversation with the bright people at Bureau...

I'm going to go get mine this weekend methinks. Rolled, as I do have a poster frame that needs some love :-)

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 2911
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

all right, everyone calm down, no one is freaking out here.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.