Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Hamtramck for fun « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Joymac
Username: Joymac

Post Number: 45
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is a good place to go in or around hamtramck for good food, drink and fun?

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3474
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maria's Comida (99-cent tacos two days a week)

Under the Eagle (old-fashioned Polish eatery)

Polish Village (same)

Polonia (same)

Detroit Threads (quirky shopping)

Record Graveyard (a holdout record store)

Bengal Masala (Indian greasy spoon)

Belmont (good bands, fun bar)

Capo Lounge (cool lounge environment)

Seven Brothers (one of the last old-man bars)

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 558
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Polonia Cafe or Polish Village Restaurant.

Polish village has a slight edge in the food quality (excellent as compared to very good). Polonia has a definite edge in wait staff aesthetics.

http://www.polonia-restaurant. net/

http://detroit.citysearch.com/ profile/5228363/hamtramck_mi/p olish_village_cafe.html

Animalparade
Username: Animalparade

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a church hat store for ladies on Joseph Campau. Need I say more? And if you're going to eat, Polish Village is the only option for a good Polish meal, beer, and service.

Emuaaron
Username: Emuaaron

Post Number: 42
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Suzy's bar is the most friendly neighborhood bar i've ever been to.

Whiskey in the jar is a great bar to get drunk and sing along with the jukebox.

I'll second all comments about Polish Village.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3475
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whiskey is a great little bar, run by one of Hamtramck's many former mayors. :-)

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 300
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Belmont has a great line up on Saturday. Doop & the Inside Outlaws, Nick Pagliari (from down south), Skin & Bones and Pat V and the Detroit 3. A rare honky tonk show for the Belmont. Don't tell anyone, but I'll be bartending :-)

Melody

Post Number: 301
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Seven Brothers (one of the last old-man bars)"

Baker's Street Car is also a total old man bar as well. They often close at midnight because everyone leaves and goes to bed early. The owner is great, though, every Tuesday he'll make a huge home cooked meal and sell an entree and tons of sides for $9 for a carry-out container that weighs like 15 pounds.

Hamtramike
Username: Hamtramike

Post Number: 528
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great Indian food = Ghandi on Conant.

Lounge= THC- Trowbridge House of Coffee (not really a coffee house)on Campau

Friendliest bar- The Belomont on Campau

most unique bar- Mephistos

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3476
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, totally forgot Baker Streetcar Bar. That's a good one. And don't forget Cafe 1923. Wireless AND a smoking room? :-)

Melody

Post Number: 302
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good list Hamtramike. You can also get gelato at the new Royal Kabob on Caniff between Campau and Conant. It's kind of expensive, but very delicious, healthy, and they are open fairly late.

There's a great heavy stoner rock/blues band called Bluesong playing Small's on Friday night.

Cherry
Username: Cherry

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Baker Streetcar has great delivery deals with Amicci's. A large pizza is less than $4.

Atlas on Yemans is the best neighborhood bar. The best old man bars are The Roosevelt and Jeans. For a variety of reasons, we almost always go to The Painted Lady.

My favorite Bangladeshi restaurant is Aladdin. Their food is more like home cooking.

If you happen to be in the area of Royal Kabob and have time to kill, there are two neighborhood grocery stores on the same corner worth visiting for imported candy and people watching, Bozek's and Al Haramain.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3479
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cherry: I can't believe I forgot the Painted Lady! Great suggestions.

This site is good for general Hamtown info:

http://www.hamtramckstar.com

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 401
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

don't forget to stop by Hamtramck Disneyland as well Kellys Bar is a little scary but the Blue cheese burger is awesome. Try the dill pickle soup at any of the Polish resturants

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 976
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you like BBQ Ribs & Chicken; prepared with Polish flair, along with an excellent Polish Beer (or two)...hustle on over to Three-Star; on Joseph Campau - across the street from old Woody Pontiac.

Do It !

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 814
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget the bakery...what's the name of the bakery?

Jita1
Username: Jita1

Post Number: 103
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Hamtramck Coney Island on Jos. Campau (still called Pete's?)is up there with Lafayette, in my opinion. I haven't been there in awhile. I also used to frequent Main Street Restaurant (next door to Little Caesar's). Good food there. In fact, there's a scene in 8 Mile where Eminem is driving down Jos. Campau and he decides to turn around and head to the radio station. When he makes his U-turn, you get a glimpse of Main Street, Little Caesar's, and Al Deeby Dodge's used car lot. It's kind of blurred out but if you know the area, you would definitely recognize it. I tripped out when I saw that.

As far as bakeries, Oaza's is my favorite in the world. I'm diabetic now, so I can't frequent that place anymore..:-)

(Message edited by jita1 on October 23, 2008)

Jita1

Post Number: 104
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah Chuckjav, I've eaten many a rib at 3 Star, when I lived in Hamtown.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3487
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you mean the New Martha Washington bakery? Next to Campau Tower (one of the last remaining "White Tower" burger joints) since 1973, though that building has housed a bakery since time immemorial. :-)

Melody

Post Number: 305
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's also the New Palace Bakery, down the street from Martha.

The Hamtramck Coney Island at Compau and Evaline is just called that. The family that owns it recently opened Sweet Marlina's Ice Cream Shop around the corner in the same building. It's a nice corner, but I wish both were open longer.

I want to second Cherry's comment about the grocery stores on the corners of Caniff and Gallagher. Bozek's for meat and perogi, and Al Haramine for everything else. Their marinated olive bar is cheaper than Holiday Market by $3 per lb.(!!!), and there is more variety.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3488
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love Al-Haramine. And the "meat room" at Bozek is not to be missed either. :-)

Joymac
Username: Joymac

Post Number: 46
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, thanks! this will be for an after party for a group volunteering in the community. Trying to keep it simple however a place with good food, of course drink and music or entertainment?

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 438
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Your textPolonia has a definite edge in wait staff aesthetics.

Well, if all you want to do is enjoy the aesthetics of the wait staff at Polonia then be my guest but that's the problem with them. They're more interested in buffing their fingernails than they are waiting on you and making sure everything is OK.

Now, if you want good food, great prices and good service but not necessarily with a smile on the wait staff's puss then go to Krakus on Jos. Campau just a few short blocks from the Hamtramck border at Carpenter on the eastside of the street. I think it is at Jos. Campau and Mead. Best Polish food, certainly the best prices, best service but the waitress has the sourest puss you've ever seen. But, I will say that if you figure out how to coax her out of here head and into the room you will enjoy a really great and dry sense of humor!

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3497
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, Polonia's upstairs used to be a meeting place for labor activists back in the Dirty Thirties.

Jita1

Post Number: 106
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear ya Melody about having later business hours. One time I rushed to the Coney Island and got there at 5:50 and the guy already closed up. I was like "You don't close 'til 6". He shrugged his shoulders. I was so mad. I had been waiting all day to get a coney dog...lol Many memories there though. Used to go there at lunch time and after school, back in the day.

Cherry

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope no one minds me saying so, but staying in one place for all those things is sort of unHamtramck. I never take friends out without planning to go to at least three bars. I particularly like the Baker-Whiskey-Atlas combo, especially after PVC and Polonia.

I take my friends and family to Aladdin, especially for sweets, but it is usually easiest to take large groups of people to Polonia. It is a really nice restaurant and has more than twice as many seats as Polish Village. (Polonia recently became 100% non-smoking.)

I love the chicken sandwiches at Kelly's. Three Star BBQ is closer to my house, so we eat there far more often. (They have nachos, tabbouleh, Polish food, and WIFI.)

New Deluxe is the best bakery. My favorite pieorgi are from Stan's on Joseph Campau, though I'm usually too lazy to walk over there. My second favorites are from Srodek's by New Deluxe.

The olive bar at Al Haramain is awesome. I sent Mr Cherry there to get the ingredients for Sicilian caponata with anchovies once, and he came home with everything.

Paczki
Username: Paczki

Post Number: 74
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Cherry on New Deluxe and Srodek's. Oaza has been closed for years.

I've been meaning to go to 3 Star but seem to always go to Polish Village. Are the ribs at 3 Star still fabulous, with the thin sauce in the squeeze bottle on the table?
A friend of mine would always order the 3 Star special which wasn't on the menu. I think it was some type of chopped sirloin with onions, green pepper gravy and mashed potato. He went crazy over it every time!

I miss going to Lili's and having Al whip up one of his drink concoctions.

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 323
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's still an Oaza, albeit a much smaller one, on Caniff three blocks north of Holbrook

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 403
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And they still sell the Buttermilk rye bread. Being a resident of Hamtramck If I don't show up at a family gathering with a loaf of I am in deep trouble. they do sell it at the New Palace Bakery but it's not as good as Oaza II which I believe is now owned by Kowalski. Great staff as well I might add

Animalparade
Username: Animalparade

Post Number: 25
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aside from Polish Village, Lebanese Chicken has great Mediterranean food, too! If you're up for fruit and vegetable shopping, the tiny market next door to the Polish Market on Belmont and Joseph Campau is terrific and very, very, very cheap. If you ever want to eavesdrop on some ridiculous bartender blather, Hanks on Holbrook all the way. Whatever you do, avoid Glory Supermarket--aka The Glory Hole. Oh, and Painted Lady has great beer and nice bartenders.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1610
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's wrong with Glory Supermarket, besides it being a suburban styled shopping center in the middle of an urban enclave?

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3508
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glory isn't anything to write home about. Typical ghetto-market with lots of corn-syrup-based barbecue sauces and some picked-over looking factory-farm produce. Well, it ain't all that bad, but when you live by Conant and Caniff, going for Al-Haramine or Bozek is a sure thing.

Melody

Post Number: 306
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What's wrong with Glory Supermarket"

How about moldy bread, rotten fruit and spoiled milk on the shelves? I can go on, but I won't...

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 289
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know what the deal is with Design 99. I've tried to check it out recently but it had closed on Jos. Campau and the sign said it was moving. From what I can tell online now I think it moved to Caniff. What is it exactly...a store, a gallery, a combination of both?

www.DetroitArmy.com

Cherry

Post Number: 22
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Design 99 is moving to the former Orthopedic Physical Therapy on Caniff, next to Bozek's, across from Al Haramain. They were taking a month-long vacation before opening at the new location, but they should be back at work soon. I would say it is a design shop first, but also a store and gallery.

I hesitate to call their hiatus a vacation because they have been working on a new project:
http://www.visitdesign99.com/i ndex.php?/powerhouse/concept/

Paczki
Username: Paczki

Post Number: 75
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So Oaza is on Caniff? Is it the original Oaza or just someone with the rights to the name?

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 325
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, it's on Campau just north of Holbrook. Someone mentioned it was owned by Kowalski.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1381
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

kopytko meat market - jos compau, south of caniff. amazing old-world sausages, home-made bacon, pierogi, inexpensive hot meals, and the friendliest staff you've ever met.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3513
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it just me, or is the donut place on Conant and Caniff extraordinarily good? The Eastern-European folks who run it not only make good old-fashioned sinkers, but ethnic pastries like the burek. Recommended, but not for its decor. (You'll see.)

Jita1

Post Number: 108
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitnerd, yeah I do remember them being very good. I remember when they first opened back in the 80's called "Family Donuts" or something like that. What are they called now?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.