Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Mercury Coffee Bar Opening » Archive through October 18, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 2018
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got this email last night and wanted to share with the fam. I think one of the cats that owns Slows is an owner in this venture.

"YOU ARE INVITED TO:

THE GRAND OPENING OF THE MERCURY COFFEE BAR.

2163 MICHIGAN AVE (CROSS THE STREET FROM SLOWS WHICH IS NEAR THE OLD TRAIN STATION)
THIS FRIDAY NITE (Oct 17) FROM 6:00 PM TO 8:00 PM

EVERYONE IS WELCOME!!!"

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 1046
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This looks awesome! Yes, I believe you are right, Phil Cooley is an investor in the project. A+ on reviving Michigan avenue, Cooley bros!

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7834
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YAY! What a way to make Corktown a yuppied Irish town. ERIN GO BRAUGH! To my Irish relatives who used to live in Bagley and 17th St.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 712
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Preview here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =QtYCkKeJO0A

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1982
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is great news, just hope they add a huge coffee cup to their BAR sign.

bar

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2177
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I work there. It is going to be sweet, Monday is the official opening. Friday is more of a rehearsal for charity

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 1014
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't wait. I was at Inteligentsia in Chicago last weekend, had a great espresso there. I hear Mercury is using their coffee.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 1048
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

chitaku, awesome! see you there! now we can hang out OUTSIDE of D'mongos!

Cinderpath
Username: Cinderpath

Post Number: 836
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Curious if the original name "Mercury Bar" was named after the famous daily train that left MCS "The Mercury" for Chicago and Cleveland. It was common at one time to name restaurants/bars, etc after the famous passenger trains that passed through them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M ercury_(NYC)

Billybbrew
Username: Billybbrew

Post Number: 356
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard from a friend that lived in the neighborhood that the owner's last name was Mercury. He was showing me where their house used to be on 14th Street not too long ago.

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 344
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Between John and Todd, this place has been gonna' open for years. I can't wait. I also can't hold my breath.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14509
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SEE? The train was probably named after the fellow.

Lotsa Mercury going around...the one in the sky just (thankfully) finished its technologically and mechanically disturbing Retrograde, someone I know discovered twenty pounds of fresh dental mercury left behind in an old warehouse, and now this news of a old train named after a NEW cool and eagerly awaited coffeehouse...and some curious Corktown fellow from time-out-of-mind.

Great timing, and I cannot wait another day to sit in this place catching the sunsets at one of the absolute best western-view corners in the whole city...enjoying some killer espresso and good conversation with fine company.

Cheers

Did we see if the 'paging' system for a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday table wait across the street will reach the Mercury? Might not be a bad idea and even give a boost to this new business by suggesting to non-drinking Slows clients that they spend their 45 minute wait across the street!

(hey, don't shoot me if they've softened that wait, I simply stopped going there on the heavy nights because of it!)

Newlaster
Username: Newlaster

Post Number: 260
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can anyone confirm where they source their beans from?

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 348
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Todd is sourcing the beans, they're from Zingerman's Coffee Company.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2357
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think if you watch the youtube vid posted above they say that the beans will indeed come from Inteligentsia in Chicago.

i've been watching the progress every morning as i wait at the light at vernor and michigan, can't wait to stop in and grab a cup on my way to work! (course i also need to get over to cafe con leche in the mercado too)

(Message edited by gravitymachine on October 16, 2008)

Chitaku

Post Number: 2180
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the beans are not from zingermans, they are from the place in Chicago, and we open monday. be there or be square!

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1336
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That pink and blue really gives me a headache. ;)

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1448
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chitaku,

I stopped in there for a pre-opening cup after the Corktown race last spring...glad you are finally opening.

Erin go Braless!

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 252
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drive by it on my way home from work and always see hot guys going in and out of there. I think I might have to make this an after work ritual.

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 554
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually I drove by yesterday afternoon and I noticed the corner sign was lit up again and looking good! Can't wait for them to reopen! Now if only we could get a fast train to Chicago restarted and call in the MERCURY.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 609
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know about hours? I go by there every Wednesday morning and 'twould be great to pick up some nibbles before work.

Chitaku

Post Number: 2182
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'm pretty sure the hours are 7am-10pm

Newlaster

Post Number: 261
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 1:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very nice.

Intelligentsia has phenomenal beans.

Good luck Mercury!

Chitaku

Post Number: 2183
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 7:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

too bad you weren't still in town newlaster, you would of dug the menu.

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 297
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's more info:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20081017/E NT03/810170395

Topflight
Username: Topflight

Post Number: 54
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Benefit for The Garden Resource Program today from 6-8PM and Sat from 12-2PM. This is a Greening of Detroit Collaborative.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 356
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Todd's a Chicagoan, so he opted for his hometown beans instead of his former employer's/partner's (Zingerman's) beans. I don't subscribe to much of anything 'gore-mett', so where his beans come from doesn't matter to me. I'll take Tel-Ways coffee on a day to day basis, though I'll certainly patronize his place for anything else I can, because I believe Todd is a visionary.

Newlaster

Post Number: 262
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 2:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll make sure to stop in when I'm in town.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 643
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 3:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But where did the old sign go???

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2359
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they fixed it and put it right back up. obviously you didn't look at the detnews article, and associated photos, before posting