Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Mudgies « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 337
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went there for lunch today at 1 pm; the place was full, but the waitress told me that there were closed. She said they "had too much today."

Idiots. I don't think I will return. Went to Nemo's instead where they know what "customer service" is all about.

Bike4beer
Username: Bike4beer

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the place but if they are the least bit busy prepare to wait. They seem to be under-staffed every time I have been there. I was ready to get up and bus tables and help the last time I was there. The waitress that was working was busting her ass but there was just to much for one person.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14726
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mudgies operates similarly to the deli I've been studying all week.

They buy the freshest ingredients and make sandwiches that dazzle tastebuds, along with other limited menu items.

Either they anger you by not being able to serve you, OR they serve substandard product. It is not easy to anticipate the number of people who may on any given day choose to come into a restaurant.

I know it is tough to desire something and not get it. That is against the current consumer culture.

Taj920, I suggest strongly that you give Greg Mudge another chance, and when this happens realize that the stuff you crave...the fresh taste combination sensations that simply CANNOT be created in advance and stored in a fridge for possible future consumption...are LIMITED in availability.

I know this now, after simply studying another deli from the inside out for ONE WEEK. It is a very tough conundrum that I am considering (losing sleep on it, actually, but willingly), but given the beautiful culinary chemistry experiments some call recipes and the relative volatility of stored foodstuffs...and the fact that delis have been around since forever...I doubt there will be any fundamental discoveries or easy solutions.

Mudge is an honorable man, give his joint another chance. Call ahead if you're going well out of your way, or just be earlier than everyone else.

Cheers!

Gannon

Post Number: 14727
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some things take too long to say.

I'd bet Histeric and I started our replies at the same time...where's my coffee?!

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 8951
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, I'll bite. WHY are you studying a deli for a week?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 8952
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nevermind, I read the other thread...

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 5114
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am going to pitch my support for Mudgies just as I did on the Eph's thread. I love the place, their food, its ambience and I urge the forum to support it. I've never had a problem there.

Taj, just because you had a bad experience with one person in the business seems like weak reason to write it off and then start a negative thread about it. Why not take it up with the management directly rather than blast it here?

Managing a restaurant with the vagaries of how much food to order, dealing with surges of traffic or absence thereof is one of the most challenging businesses to take on. I'm sorry for your experience and the waitress should have been falling over with apologies, if the situation is as you describe, but I'm also happy to hear the their business was that good.

Give'm a break, your support and patience.

Pkbroch
Username: Pkbroch

Post Number: 159
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where and what is mudgies. I think we should post where these places are so we can try them.

Just a thought.

Birdie
Username: Birdie

Post Number: 75
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mudgie's is on 1300 Porter Street in Detroit's Corktown Neighborhood. It is located on the site of what used to be Eph McNally's.

http://www.mudgiesdeli.com/

Pkbroch

Post Number: 160
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looked at the menu on line looks great, are they going to get Beer and Wine.

Thanks for the information, when deli's or any dining place put their menu's on line it helps business.

Taj920

Post Number: 338
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell:
When an employee literally tells you to get out of their establishment during normal business hours, why take it up with the management? The employee was probably following management's directive. If a business in the suburbs pulled that, they would be out of business pretty quickly.

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 5116
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can understand how you might be miffed Taj, but I think the key phrase you mention is "probably following management's directive". However, if you didn't take it up with management, it doesn't mean a thing. I can't imagine any management anywhere condoning that. Like you say, any business anywhere would be out of business for allowing that.

Management can't do anything about it if they don't know about it and telling an internet forum without even a context of date and names doesn't help them get to it. Employees can screw up but I just found it unfair to use it against an entire business which I have found to offer a great service and never had a problem. Just my two cents.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 1060
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Random negative posts on this forum about Detroit businesses that are based on single experiences have really irked me recently...

Why don't we not do that.

Do as Lowell says, I think it is good advice.

If you feel a little weird about confrontation, as I might, write them an email or something. What good does it do you to post it on this forum?

Taj920

Post Number: 339
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess I should edit my post to advise any patrons to call ahead before venturing to Mudgies to make sure the establishment is able to accommodate their lunch business. Is it unreasonble to expect a deli to be open at lunch? What if business people from Dearborn or Southfield or Warren decided to head down to Corktown to grab a sandwich? They would have been pretty miffed yesterday.

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 959
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think there is anything unreasonable about your post, only that it probably shouldn't be the start to a thread called "Mudgies" then it takes on larger importance with this great, widespread medium called Detroityes. Nor do I think you would write that place off for ever, the resentment would probably wear off. I certainly feel the sentiments though.

Lowell's 'it doesn't mean a thing until brought to management" is a very true.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 1061
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think anyone from Southfield or Warren drives to corktown to grab a sandwich at Mudgies... They might be in the CBD for a business meeting and THEN to a restaurant...

Histeric
Username: Histeric

Post Number: 956
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For crying out loud, Greg is a hard working man that doesn't deserve to be called an idiot. The simple fact is that he had a key employee not show up for work and they closed for an hour, in the middle of the day, in order to catch up. If they had not closed, I am sure Taj would have come on here to bitch about how their sandwich took forty five minutes to arrive. Some people just love to complain. It says more about them than anyone else.

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 257
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to Mudgie's once, and because the restaurant is so tiny it does fill up very fast at lunch. You are pretty literally elbow to elbow with other patrons. The food was good though, and the chef came out to ask how our food was. But the two waitresses who were there were very overworked.

Downtown_dave
Username: Downtown_dave

Post Number: 246
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It's so busy, nobody goes there anymore."

Just go back... and have the "Mudgie" - got to be the messiest on their menu, and incredibly delicious. They do a fine turkey sandwich, too.

We all have bad days. Forgiveness is the best dessert - especially when you share it.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2034
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mudgies is great, had lunch there last week and enjoyed the whole experience.

We are blessed to have such places as Mudgies and Eph's in our little universe. Visit often, and while you're there, stop into the little bookstore next door.

It's a children's Book Store and old fashion toy store. Very old-school in a new-age kind of way. Buy a book and donate it to Cub's Reading Garden.

Motorcitydave
Username: Motorcitydave

Post Number: 144
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love Mudgies (ate lunch there Saturday actually)... but maybe this shows that Corktown (downtown, midtwon, etc) is in need of (and can support) even MORE good Delis? ...just a thought... :-)

...oh, by the way, if I remember correctly, Mudgies is now going to be open until 9pm on Mon-Sat? ...did I read that correct?

(Message edited by motorcitydave on October 27, 2008)

Pkbroch

Post Number: 173
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I posted the following on the EPH'S forum and believes it belongs here also;

"On "Trip Advisor" a forum that 10's of thousands of people use for vacations and business. "Ephs" is still listed at 1300 Porter, and it doesn't even mention Mudgies. This might be why Eph's is listed as closed on the Detroit News site.

If the owners of each place go to the site they can change their listing faster than a TA member. Both places are wonderful and tourists should know about them."

Gannon

Post Number: 14767
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THANK YOU, Pkbroch, I'll call Greg Mudge immediately.

You rock.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1502
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They're extending their hours, too. Hope it's a success. Success means more people can be hired which means better service and fewer disgruntled Taj920s.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.