Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Feel our pain » Archive through October 22, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1386
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20081022/NEWS06/ 81022035

Don't worry, we'll catch up once Chrysler goes under. That should be worth a few percentage points.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 1008
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seems our conditions in Michigan are about 3 years ahead of the rest of the country, now they are catching up elsewhere. Hope we get a rebound first.

Staticstate
Username: Staticstate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember when the AMC plants were closing down in Kenosha Wisconsin back in the late 80's when I was in high school the feeling of panic we all had. Hopefully all of this mess turns around pretty quickly for everyone.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 716
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It seems our conditions in Michigan are about 3 years ahead of the rest of the country, now they are catching up elsewhere. Hope we get a rebound first.

If past recessionary cycles are a guide, we'll rebound last and least. Michigan (and heavy manufacturing states) lead into recessions and lag coming out. Unless we change what we do and how we do it here, we'll likely remember these as the 'good ole days'.

Hamtramike
Username: Hamtramike

Post Number: 530
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the past, the local economy recovered when people went back to the jobs they once had. Those jobs will not exist for them to return to. I think the rebound is gonna take a little longer this time around, locally anyway.

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 816
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit will become a ghost town and southeast Michigan will be devastated by the job loss.

Pennsylvania experienced the same thing when the steel industry fell to the foreign companies. Michigan is done, the jobs are done, the economy is in the crapper.

Too bad that no one paid attention when it really mattered.

WHAT YOU DRIVE, DRIVES AMERICA!

OUT OF A JOB YET? KEEP BUYING FOREIGN.

Evander
Username: Evander

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

where was the shirt on your back made, buyamerican?

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 2730
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "where was the shirt on your back made, buyamerican?"

Better yet, where can one buy an American made shirt? Blame our govt for making ridiculous trade deals and enabling retailers to flood the markets with imported goods.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3561
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>where was the shirt on your back made, buyamerican?

Or the TV on which he watches Toyota commercials.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5459
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We need the China policy: if you want to sell here you need to manufacture here.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 2085
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Better yet, where can one buy an American made shirt?

Here, http://www.unionplus.org/union -made.cfm

Here, http://www.unionmadeclothing.c om/

Here, http://www.justiceclothing.com /thereis/justice/

Here, http://www.theunionshop.org/

Here, http://www.unionlabel.com/

Here, http://www.shopunionmade.org/

Here, http://www.allamericanclothing .com/

Any more Googling you need done, sstash?

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 2732
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobby, In your simplistic way of thinking, there is no way you could have understood the broader idea I was trying to project.

You are forgiven. :-)

Walk into any mainstream retailer Walmart et al, and try to buy something American made. Again, you probably can. Think bigger Bobby.

Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 2088
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you had asked the question you wanted to ask in the first place, you wouldn't need to clarify yourself. Instead, you asked where can one buy American made clothing. I answered it.

quote:

Walk into any mainstream retailer Walmart et al, and try to buy something American made. Again, you probably can.

If you can walk into Wal-Mart and buy American clothing, then you're answering your own question, now aren't you? How about you just say, "Sorry for asking a stupid question" and we'll move on. I'll even let you slide on the fact that there are no stupid questions, just stupid people that ask questions.

Oh, and by the way, if you were to actually look for American made clothes in a retail store, you would find them.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 8945
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget

http://americanapparel.net/

And for those who like the brick & mortar experience, there is one in Royal Oak.

Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 2089
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Easy there, Johnlodge. You don't want to risk raising sstash's ire by answering his own stupid question. No need to get in the line of fire, I'll take this one for the team.

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 2733
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "If you had asked the question you wanted to ask in the first place, you wouldn't need to clarify yourself."

Translation: If you would have kept it simple, I could have understood it, and I wouldn't have to display how anal I am and engage in a childish rant.

Buyamerican

Post Number: 817
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"where was the shirt on your back made, buyamerican?"

Unfortunately you don't have many choices when purchasing a shirt or a pair of sneakers. But you DO have a choice when purchasing a large item like an automobile. Second to purchasing a home, an automobile is about the largest purchase you will make in your lifetime. Sometimes it's an even bigger purchase if you buy new cars every three years.

Every dime of profit from purchasing an American Big 3 automobile remains in the U.S. Not one dime of profit from Honda or Toyota stays here.

I will purchase American products when I find them for as long as I can, that includes American automobiles.

All the useless analogies that you make are lame.

OUT OF A JOB YET? KEEP BUYING FOREIGN.

Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 2090
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

where can one buy an American made shirt?

Seems like a pretty straight-forward question to me. A stupid question, and one that took a 10 second Google search, but a straight-forward one. Maybe I should have taken the initiative to interpret what you really meant. I guess next time you ask a stupid question, and you will, I'll just give you the answer I think you were really looking for. How's that sound?

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 592
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even Barack Obama couldn't find an American made baseball cap when he wanted one.

It should not cost the consumer less to buy goods made from what's essentially slave labor, than to buy from honest working people and companies trying to employ them. I'm surprised this doesn't seem to bother freedom-loving Americans.

Bring back truly free trade, make conditions desirable for American manufacturing to flourish, then start talking about buying American. Our country cannot and will not survive on service industries alone. It's not enough just to buy American when in an extreme number of cases, there is no American-made option.

Small businesses (and those who grow into large ones) will benefit Detroit for years to come. Our leaders need to make the city an attractive, no-brainer choice in which to start a business in America. Even Ford was once a small business, you know.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 2634
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Obama's policies with higher taxes and more cafe regulation will surely help the auto indi.

Russix
Username: Russix

Post Number: 145
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^"I'm surprised this doesn't seem to bother freedom-loving Americans."
America is a society divided on many many lines and ultimately an American is only really interested in their own self preservation and not society as a whole. Do people really care when they buy foreign goods made by workers earning a fraction of what an american use to earn? NO, its only important for them to buy something that closely fits the pocket book and preserve themselves. Check out this cool site to give you a global perspective on World Minimum Wage: http://news.yahoo.com/page/min imum_wage

Buyamerican

Post Number: 818
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It's not enough just to buy American when in an extreme number of cases, there is no American-made option."

In this case there was and still is an option, BUY AMERICAN.

When the auto industry began to falter, the economy in Michigan went into the crapper. The oil prices and the mortgage crisis came after. There has been a trickle down effect and not only are the Big 3 the ones suffering but the small businesses that supplied the auto industry with parts is suffering, the restaurant on the corner is suffering, the barber, the dry cleaners and a host of other small Mom and Pop businesses are suffering.

I can't say it enough...

Detx
Username: Detx

Post Number: 190
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"When the auto industry began to falter, the economy in Michigan went into the crapper. The oil prices and the mortgage crisis came after. There has been a trickle down effect and not only are the Big 3 the ones suffering but the small businesses that supplied the auto industry with parts is suffering, the restaurant on the corner is suffering, the barber, the dry cleaners and a host of other small Mom and Pop businesses are suffering."

It seems as if Michigan only exists to make cars. Shame on Michigan leadership for not doing enough to diversify the Michigan economy over the decades. And for pandering so much to the Big 3 as to be blind to other growth areas. Now we are desperate, and everyone else in American knows it.

Vivadetroit
Username: Vivadetroit

Post Number: 84
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The auto industry itself is to blame. It has pandered to the oil cartels for way too long and not even thought about alternatives to oil. The Big 3 rolled out "flex-fuel" vehicles in 2006 (model yr 2007) and claimed it was NEW technology. They're pulling a fast one on America - Ford and GM both have had flexfuel cars in Brazil since 2003.

If they had rolled out the flex fuel vehicles in 2003, people would have bought new cars to take advantage of this technology and maybe we wouldn't be in this situation.

What Michigan needs to do is develop new alternative energy sources. Gas prices are going to climb again, so let's use the brainpower in our state to create new technology. Instead of complaining, let's get off our butts and do something about this problem.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2662
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a mention, that alternative vehicles have been around for over a hundred years. Yet somehow we have been suckling on oil for way too long.

We have not learned a thing in 100 years.

I mentioned the 1918 Detroit Electric in another thread, and then this link -

ST. LOUIS - A century ago, Henry Ford's Model T was the first flexible-fuel vehicle, running on gas, ethanol or both, and the automaker foretold the future when he said fuel could be gotten from fruit, weeds, sawdust, or anything else that could be fermented.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15 233556/

Lilpup

Post Number: 5462
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The Big 3 rolled out "flex-fuel" vehicles in 2006 (model yr 2007)"

don't know what rock you've been under but this recent era's round of flex-fuel vehicles started coming out in the 1990s

(Message edited by lilpup on October 22, 2008)

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2663
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My 2000 Chevy S-10 missed the flex-fuel production schedule by days.
It took a lot of VIN# searches online to find out.

Damn!

Evander
Username: Evander

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

excuses, excuses Buyamerican.

I guess I shouldn't expect a man of your singular vision to only wear clothing made in the united states, eat food grown by local farmers, refuse to shop at Wal-Mart etc., and watch a 60-year-old tube television made in the USA. Otherwise you wouldn't be such an obvious hypocrite.

you can keep your bumpersticker slogans. I'll keep my toyota.

Vivadetroit
Username: Vivadetroit

Post Number: 85
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey Lil - what kind of cars are you referring to? Ones that take e-85 or diesel?? Just curious

Lilpup

Post Number: 5464
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

E85