Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Detroit Wheelmen clubhouse « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 710
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last night I wrote a short article about the Detroit Wheelmen, a bicycle club from 1879.

How could I find out when that clubhouse was demolished? Any suggestions on where to start?

It seem likely to have come down with the old YMCA on Witherell.

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 711
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's where the clubhouse was located along Adams.

Grand Circus Park, 1920

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2035
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice article Fishtoes, sorry I don't know when the clubhouse was torn down, but if you look in the Burton Collection you'll find some pretty cool pix of the DW ... I suggest you search under 'bicycles'.

Google books also has some neat info about your brethren.

As a complete side note, out at the Milford Library they have the Milford Times on Microfilm. Around the turn of the last century they had an on-going column called "The Wheelman" which served as a clearing house of bicycle technical information and social policy. As you know, the Wheelmen were very progressive in pushing for the paving and naming of roads. Some of that info can be found in Milford's "The Wheelman". One article dealt with the practice some farmers took to to discourage bikesters from riding past their cows. The farmers felt the cows got nervous with bike riders speeding past, so they strung wire across roads they had control over.

The Wheelmen countered with rods that extended vertically from the fork and would guard against the rider from losing his head.

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 420
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fishtoes, that is ONE cool picture. I have never seen that one anywhere else that I remember. Thank you.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3719
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I could narrow it down to between 1967 and 1981; not a big help, but it definitely was demolished before the stadium clearing started. A 1967 Polk directory lists the location (131 E Adams) as vacant. The 1981 aerial photo from the DTE collection at WSU shows an empty lot.

The 1961 aerial shows it standing alone in the middle of the block. (The building to the west of the club in your picture was gone prior to WWII):

E Adams Ave1961

By 1981 it was a parking lot:

E Adams Ave 1981

I have a few directories/phonebooks from the forties and fifties; a 1940 directory still lists the club at 131-133 E Adams but my 1946 and 1949 phone books do not. The 1940 directory also lists the Fraternal Order of Eagles at 131 E Adams, so maybe they shared the building for a while.

A 1943 map shows only the FOE and the empty lot on either side:

E Adams Ave 1943

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6772
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 1951 Sandborn doesn't make reference to the tennant but lists it as 131/133 W. Adams.

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 712
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you so much, Mikem and Aiw. You do amazing work. Someday I'd love to dive head first into researching the Detroit Wheelmen and possibly write a book. It would make an interesting Arcadia book.

Aiw

Post Number: 6773
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree. That was some fancy clubhouse. What a beauty.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5735
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will have to check some sources but I don't think that it's a George Mason design. I know I found the name in my research before but will have to dig through it.

Aiw

Post Number: 6774
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patrick, it was built in 1896, so if it was, that would be Mason & Rice era...

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 714
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's an interesting photo of some Detroit Wheelmen which may have been taken inside of the Adams club or their earlier club on Washington. I believe that's Edward Hines on far left of the middle row.
http://www.thewheelmen.org/gra phics/membership1_regview.jpg

I believe that's WhistlingCyclist to the right of Hines. ;)
http://www.thewheelmen.org/for um_images/misc/detroit_wheelme n.jpg

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.