Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Has anyone noticed... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 373
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the amount of out-of-staters there has been in the area. Just this evening I have seen New York, Kansas, and Missouri. But in the past few weeks have seen a couple of Californias, Massachusetts, Georgias, Penns, and some others. Also alot of Ontarians, I saw though an RV from La Belle Province (Quebec) on the Jeffries which was cool. There has been more than usual, IMO.

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 731
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed the same thing. If it was June then I would attribute it to tourists or relatives visiting. I know these folks are not here for the weather and tourists attractions. Perhaps, people are relocating from places far and wide in order to find employment. Or are these folks here work on the foreclosures, bankruptcies etc?

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 2786
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People come here to hunt and look at the leaves too. Michigan has the best natural resources of any state as far as I'm concerned. We have the largest herd of Whitetail deer in the nation. The Snowmobile/ORV trail system is unrivaled anywhere. Fishing/boating, nobody even comes close to it. A phenomenal state.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2080
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out the wedding story over on Model D.

http://www.modeldmedia.com

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 2057
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smugglers

Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 374
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pure Michigan campaign is working its wonders perhaps?

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 459
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have not noticed this of late.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5979
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have noticed that since 2002 when I came back to the city...

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 647
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Or are these folks here work on the foreclosures, bankruptcies etc?

Foreclosures and bankruptcies creating jobs? That'll be the day.

Detx
Username: Detx

Post Number: 195
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sstashmoom, do you know where I can go online to find out about snowmobile trails in MI?

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1386
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People helping others move out of state?

But seriously...

Those Pure Michigan commercials make me all tingly inside. I heard one while driving through Wexford County earlier this month and the combination of Tim Allen commentary and the splash of color made me so proud. The State of Michigan has so much to offer,its too bad the national image of our state is so poor.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 2126
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 1:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detx, here's some links...
http://www.msasnow.org/

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0, 1607,7-153-10365_14824---,00.h tml

http://www.fishweb.com/recreat ion/snowmobile/trails/index.ht ml

You may not want to go around asking sstash anything. He's generally wrong. Michigan has the largest whitetail population? Nope. Best snowmobile/ORV? I don't think so. Best fishing/boating? Close, but it's pretty subjective. He did get the Michigan is phenomenal part right, though.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14758
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 7:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gee...could it be lower gasoline prices, too?

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1436
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michiganders working out of state home for the weekend in a rental car?

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 740
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was working downtown in a sandwich shop we had to check ID's when credit cards were used and I was always impressed by the number of out of state drivers licenses, and alot of those people would come in at least once a week.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 2787
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Cheddar, get your thumb out of your mouth, I'll stop picking on you honey.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2085
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^You two deserve a spot at one of the comedy clubs... :-)

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 2127
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about if you stop being wrong all time? I'll settle for that. Find any instances of foreigners demanding bilingual signs yet? How about Michigan having the largest deer herd?

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3574
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>Michiganders working out of state home for the weekend in a rental car?

We've got a winner!

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 170
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great! Let's all make our guests welcome. Be nice. Offer suggestions for interesting places to visit. We need visitors.
I met a very nice couple from out of state at the Jazz Festival last September. They were amazed at the music, the scenery, and the friendly people. Have exchanged emails, and they are bringing four friends back next year!

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 2228
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are probably carpetbaggers.

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 732
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuckjav - There aren't normally many cars from out of state because Michigan doesn't have an east/west interstate freeway which runs cross country like I-80 and Detroit is more or less toward the end of I-75. Its strange for us to go somewhere like Cincinnati where you have vehicles from IN, KY and OH etc.

Since it is difficult to sell a home and find employment, people have found jobs in other states and may be coming back to complete the sale or visit relatives.

It might be autoworkers from plants that have closed. It might be bankruptcy experts and individual who specialize in mergers. Think Chrysler and GM.

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 336
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've noticed it over the last month or six weeks in the Novi-Farmington area... during workday hours. Ohio, Florida, Georgia, Texas, Illinois, and North Carolina.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 1022
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bibs...I beg differ; convergence of I-75 & I-94 makes Detroit a big-time crossroads town.
At any rate, hunting & peak-color season always brings in the out-of-state crowd, during October & November

Korridorkid
Username: Korridorkid

Post Number: 113
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to spoil the speculation, but the national Public Relations Society of America and it's student organization the Public Relations Student Society of America held its yearly conference at the RenCen over this past weekend, from late Thursday to Tuesday. About 3,000 people from all over the U.S. in attendance. Response to Detroit was overwhelmingly good.

Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 375
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No that's not it Korridor, because I have seen this since last month until now. And they really bug me because they think they can do whatever they want on the road. Some jerk from North Carolina was on my ass yesterday, then today another jerk from Ohio cut me off! GO BACK! While driving yesterday, there was a guy from New Mexico behind me and the jerk from NC behind me.

Hubbardfarmer
Username: Hubbardfarmer

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed that, too. I wondered if it was related to the election. I noticed it several weeks ago -- well before the PRSA convention.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 410
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's probably just people's curiosity being peaked by reading DetroitYES.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.