Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Brenda Jones holding up volunteer proposal... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1699
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Guys, we need some help from you to call Brenda Jones' office... this is really bad on her part.

Have any of you noticed the tree plantings going on over the past year? That has been made possible by coordinated efforts of the City's General Services Division with VOLUNTEERS at the Greening of Detroit.

NOW, Brenda Jones is holding up the continuing proposal in her committee because a loca union is saying that city workers should be paid to do these plantings.

Simply put...without the volunteers nothing will get planted because we can't afford to pay for it to be done.

She's being silly, but has the power to keep the entire council from voting on this. Please call her! 313.224.1245

Here's a note from my friend who works for the City, posted with her permission:

Council Member Brenda Jones is holding up the Greening of Detroit contract to plant trees in the City of Detroit. She feels this work might be better done under union personnel. The problem is the City wants their tree cutting/trimming personnel to work on the 50,000 dead and dangerous trees we have in the City versus using these resources to plant new trees. The City pays the Greening to do the plantings (recruit volunteers and oversee the quality) that otherwise the City could not afford to do on a cost and time basis. Currently all planting services are delivered by volunteer resources, could you imagine the budget if we needed to pay the over 200 resources we had volunteering in our community last weekend...there would be no beautification program, it wouldn't make the City's budget. Trust me, I am all for unions when it makes sense, however, I'm not sure this approach makes sense for our city right now.

If y ou support the tremendous work that the Greening of Detroit has done for our neighborhoods and want to continue to see them have the opportunity to continue to contribute to our city, please please call Brenda Jones to urge her to support the Greening of Detroit and the City efforts to continue planting trees. She can be reached at 224-1245. The City has already had to cancel numerous plantings that were scheduled for this Fall. Please forward to Detroit friends...they must call Brenda Jones office.

Topflight
Username: Topflight

Post Number: 57
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm calling right now.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 723
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't this what unions are for? The union is getting it's money's worth out of it's member dues by having a council member paid for to protect its member's interests above all else.

Your stance is directly anti union. Why do you hate unions and love the scabs?

(Message edited by higgs1634 on October 31, 2008)

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 830
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the posting. I just called.

Greebomusic
Username: Greebomusic

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they are not being paid, how are they scabs?

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 923
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A lot of citizens are asking for trees to be planted in their neighborhoods. No money no Union Jobs. Let the volunteers do it. So I should stop cleaning vacant lots cause we have Union city workers to do the job YEA RIGHT!!

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5544
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How can only one person be holding up a proposal in committee? Aren't all the committees at least three people?

Higgs1634

Post Number: 724
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If they are not being paid, how are they scabs?

Those are the scabs that every anti-worker establishment looks for. You can not dress up the wolf that is blatant Union busting in the sheep's clothing of "volunteerism". The Union of tree workers and trimmers controls those jobs. It must stand to protect thier workers. What is next? Chain Gangs taking good union road crew jobs!?! I mean sure they are putting individuals that are otherwise a drain on society to a good use and at a fraction of the cost, but they are still SCABS!

Stand with Unions (that made this city and this State the great economic power it is today) or stand against them. It's your choice.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 1204
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Watching the 10/30 Internal Operations committee session the it seems that union and city still working out issues as to letting the Green of Detroit do the work.

you can watch it here:
http://www.helloworld.com/memb ers_myworld.aspx?ID=DCCTV&targ et=show

Detroitbred
Username: Detroitbred

Post Number: 158
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Higgs, In case you haven't looked around lately, this city and or state are NOT such great economic powers now, thanks in part to the unions.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1700
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From what I know, the vote will not go to the full council unless it passes this committee with a majority (2/3) vote. Reeves supports it. Brenda jones does not...and Kenyatta owes her a vote or something (or they have a slate or something er other) and will vote however she does.

Brenda is the key.

I'm not anti union. No city workers would do this planting...get it? It's volunteer only! GEESH!!!!

The city could be beautiful in 10 years with all the disease resistant, fantastic trees they want to continue to plant. This is like saying no a free lunch when you're starving.

Higgs1634

Post Number: 725
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Higgs, In case you haven't looked around lately, this city and or state are NOT such great economic powers now, thanks in part to the unions.

It's management's fault...and John Engler's.

quote:

I'm not anti union. No city workers would do this planting...get it? It's volunteer only! GEESH!!!!

BUT, city workers...city UNION workers....COULD be doing it the City just doesn't want to pay them to do the job. STOP SCABS.

quote:

This is like saying no a free lunch when you're starving.

If that free lunch comes with the aftertaste of broken SOLIDARITY it should be refused!

Greebomusic
Username: Greebomusic

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't seem to find a union for tree trimmers and workers in Michigan. C'mon, you're making this up.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5737
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, it's not made up. Actually, we had a pretty deep thread about this not all that long ago.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 625
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Higgs, why do you hate trees?

Mikie
Username: Mikie

Post Number: 176
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that Higgs is having fun again i.e. (stirring the pot)!

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 628
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I lived in town, I'd help too. This is important! We need our trees, dang it! But, since I don't I'll just bump this thread.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2690
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 1:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I knew it was a bad idea for the Greening to get tied up with the city, and considering the huge budget deficit you would think they would want to have volunteers or non union workers do this kind of work. Stupidity Detroit style.

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 333
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 1:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scabs get paid. Apparently there is a union for volunteers now. There WAS a time unions were necessary. Now the unions full time job is surviving while we watch jobs go to Mexico and China. This entire debate is the same as if I volunteered to cut grass on some city vacant lots in my neighborhood and the union demand union grass cutters do it instead.

Cooper
Username: Cooper

Post Number: 41
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the union's position:

http://www.reuters.com/article /pressRelease/idUS100736+18-Ju l-2008+PRN20080718

Basically, they blame the city for failing to communicate/cooperate:

quote:

"The city first signed this deal back in March," added AFSCME Local 542 President Melvin Brabson. "Even though the contract involved replacing Union work with work performed by an outside entity, in violation of the Union contract, the city never, ever came to us to talk about it. I happened to find out about it and asked for the contract, and to meet with the city to discuss the issue. The city refused to meet with the Union, until City Council held the contract so that we could meet. Even then, the city refused to discuss how to resolve the issue, but told us they were moving forward, no matter what. The Union had no other option, but to go to court."

As to the issue of volunteers:

quote:

"First, people are being paid under this Greening contract. There are several funded positions listed in the contract, which add up to more than $52 million over five years. Plus, there were employees previously laid off or otherwise removed from working in this nursery, doing what The Greening is proposing to do. The city wants its employees to take the loss of work, and being ignored, lying down. We will not do so."

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1437
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So at what point do these folks in council and wake up that the city is collapsing around them?

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Detroit's done the same thing, over and over again, for decades, and has gotten the same results.

Wait until the incentive war starts between Warren and Detroit in the next couple years for GM HQ. Two catfighting governments going at each other should be entertaining, if not sad for us all.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2164
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll bring the popcorn... and pretfulls.

Sigh

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 2821
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the money is coming from where?

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 636
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's see...
Emerald ash borers show up around 2002-2004ish and munch a bunch of trees.
City of Detroit couldn't stop them.
Trees die en masse because of the ash borers.
City of Detroit is forced to cut down thousands of dead trees.
City of Detroit has no money to plant new trees.
Greening of Detroit offers to replace dead trees.
Greening of Detroit organizes large volunteer tree-planting campaigns.
Thousands of trees get planted at no cost to the city.
Union takes notice, years after the problem first arose, steps in and says "NO YOU CAN'T!"

I don't get it.

Downtown99
Username: Downtown99

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Councilmember Brenda Jones is simply doing her job ! Union workers live and pay taxes here too !

Username: 7051

Post Number: 181
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very few city workers live here-less than 50 percent, possibly even lower. The council is clueless - they actually believe they are still protecting resident's jobs- not true anymore.
Make the cuts...

-A concerned city taxpayer and resident.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 2202
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The AFSCME can go fuck themselves. Is there any way that we city residents can vote to eliminate the AFSCME? Let's stop pretending that they are some sort of force for social good; they are not.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 2203
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Very few city workers live here-less than 50 percent, possibly even lower.

I would be interested to know exactly what percentage of AFSCME employees live in the city... I wonder if that information is available.

Registeredguest
Username: Registeredguest

Post Number: 448
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Is there any way that we city residents can vote to eliminate the AFSCME? Let's stop pretending that they are some sort of force for social good; they are not."

Yeah - we can vote for council people and a mayor who will opt to not renew (or better yet, void) these uncompetitive labor contracts and hire non-union city workers. An alternative would be a grass-roots, neighborhood based effort encouraging council and/or the mayor to void these when they come up for discussion. Council needs to hear from Detroit residents that the function of government is not to employ, but to serve.

It's really embarrassing to see the crappy state of this city and its services, especially when there are so many who are paid so well. Most don't care about the quality of their work or the place where they work, and if they don't care, then why should we care about their cushy jobs.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3738
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I may be wrong, but doesn't Greening of Detroit also use prison laborers? I think they used to.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10536
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm all for chain gangs and ditch diggers too!
The taxpayers pockets are only so deep and if the workers can't do it or the city can't afford to do it tough shit.
Bring on the volunteers.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 3120
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, she may be still holding up the plantings, however the Union just lost an arbitration hearing and Greening Detroit will be able to reopen the Detroit tree Nursery.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20081118/M ETRO01/811180435/1361

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 3122
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And they are going to get hung out to dry on 20/20 tonight.

http://info.detnews.com/redesi gn/blogs/detroitcityhallinside r/index.cfm

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3761
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John Stossel is a tool, though. I wish HE'D give US a break, from his smarmy, self-serving, smug commentaries. Just the fact that Stossel mouths off on one side of any issue is enough for me to lend credence to the other side. Total tool.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.