Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Best National Candidate for Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 260
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Which national candidate do you think can help Detroit the most and why?
Levin, Obama, McCain etc.?

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3862
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Obama is the only candidate that seems to care about the Auto Industry, so definitely him.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7441
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... and then there's our own powerful John Dingell... with 53 years in the House, he's the dean of the House of Representatives (and powerful committee chairman). He is Michigan's most powerful member in congress.

Within the next year he will be the longest serving member in congress in US history.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1427
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Levin already has supported Detroit, consistently. He was a Detroiter, being a former Detroit city councilperson. Look at the riverwalk, and thank Carl Levin for finding a good part of that funding. You, in fact, can look at a lot of ways that Carl has helped the city of Detroit and Southeast Michigan.

As to the presidential race, I'm voting for Obama, and here's why. His oft-maligned experience as a "community organizer" put him front and center understanding the unique and complex issues of urban areas. So for some it's a negative, for me, it's a positive.

I always vote for the candidates that would benefit my causes the best, because all the political stuff is bull (I've worked with and for politicians, and got jaded to "ideals" a long time ago with both parties).

As a note, I do quite often vote for republicans (25%-35% of the time) if they embrace my causes. For instance, Republican Danialle Karmanos is getting my vote for WSU while I will vote for Paul Massaron, a democrat to retain his seat.

Gubics might get my vote too, because of how much hubris Kilpatrick had after winning the primary. That was a disgusting speech, talking about her "mandate" when she had no such thing. But I'm sure she'd be more effective in bringing bacon to the district than him with the ways that the winds are blowing where we may have uniparty government.

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 588
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Originally posted by Digitalvision:

Gubics might get my vote too

Please vote for Gubics. I would but I don't live in that district.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 411
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit (and any other manufacturing based American city) will only be helped when foreign imports are required to be made in accordance with our laws, and I haven't heard anyone in Washington suggest this.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1846
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Obama would be the better candidate for the city, because of his experience as a community organizer, raising a family in a city and as a state Sen. from an urban district.

I'm expecting Gubics to get many more votes than normal because of Kwame backlash. However, Cheeks will ride on her party's name and Obama's coattails to an easy re-election.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.