Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Meat in detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1396
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so, i'm getting into sausage-making. i bought a pork belly a few weeks ago, cured and smoked it, and it's the best bacon i've ever had! now, i'm ready to expand my endeavors.

i know about kap's and s&d's in eastern market - but mostly, i roll around the nondescript alleys of the clustered mecca, never quite sure who deals what. and what about piquette market? their prices are low - so low that i'm a bit fearful of the product. so, where does one go for pork bellies and fatback, etc. at a good price?

and of course, we have butcher-packer on gratiot. i was pleased to find they are a nationally recognized source of products used by meat processors all over the country.

and what about a source for lump charcoal?

also: i have sources for alder wood (i.e. smoking salmon)

and just out of curiosity: where are the slaughterhouses in detroit? i remember driving to dearborn for work, and following the pig haulers down i94 from belleville. i kept a clothespin clipped to the rearview mirror for just such an occasion.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2810
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to live in Hamtramck, but now live in a rural area.
I've wondered about bulk meat sales all around the Detroit area for a great deal of time. Where are the good packers around the burbs? I live in the northern Oakland Co. border.

Thecarl

Post Number: 1397
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bigb, try uncle luke's feed store in troy for a lead: 248-879-9147.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 4521
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BigB, I know you've said you're sort of in my neck of the woods, so there's a pork farm(?)in Almont you might want to check out. Here's a link:
J&M Farm

Thecarl

Post Number: 1398
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jcole, i do a fair amount of cavorting in the thumb area...thanks also for the link. i've been looking for a source of farm-raised pork, but i never imagined this: "The hogs are provided with country music 24 hours a day to keep them happy."

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 210
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thecarl, let's hope the hogs are listening to real country music like that station WMIC from Sandusky plays from 9 'til Noon every day or maybe that 1160 station from Lapear. That junk that passes for "country" now-a-days can be called "Urban Sprawl". A dose of Merle, Cash, Kitty Wells or The Carter Family can really soothe the sows. A word of caution...make sure the porkers are not being offered a slice of Psycho-Billy as musical background.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 4522
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TheCarl, you're welcome. I've had their breakfast sausage and bacon, and they're both really good.
Also, I think a little Willie would go a long way toward contented sows. I'm sure they'd like to be in 'Lukenbach, Texas' or at least, 'On the Road Again' instead of in the barn.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1994
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There used to be a giant Thorn Apple Valley Plant off of I-96 at MLK. It closed several years ago. In addition, there was one by DDOT at I-75 and Warren. Those places were where the pigs went to die.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 1162
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 7:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hogs like most old school country, except for Jimmy Dean. :-)

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 609
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm probably letting the cat out of the bag but. Heffelings Amish Meat Market on Harper and Crocker in Harrison Twp. Absolutely the best beef and pork around.
And dry cured bacon YUMMMM

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 328
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

E&L market on W.Vernor near Livernois for bulk meat.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2815
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the link Jcole. I was looking for one of those Cattlemans bundle type plans. Sausage, chicken, beef, pork, hambuger, etc. for $50, without a 100 mile round trip. They seem like a good deal.

Thecarl

Post Number: 1422
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

any comments on piquette market? i was thinking of going there tomorrow - but i'm suffering from cognitive dissonance as their prices seem too low...

Username: 7051

Post Number: 178
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

E and L for meat. Most DFD firehouses shop there on a daily basis.

Tony_box_42
Username: Tony_box_42

Post Number: 192
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MINI MART on W.McNichols and Furguson.East of the Southfield.Fresh made meat packs,not frozen.
Cleanest store in town.2nd. and 4th.Batts. shop there.Fresh fish daily.

Snoringbeagle
Username: Snoringbeagle

Post Number: 52
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know this ain't around the metro area but there is a family run store and smoke house in Falmouth, Michigan where farmers bring in pork and beef and whatever to have processed. This place is a true find. It's Ebels market. Awards are plastered all across the front of the store wall. Thumbs up!

Thedeadofnight
Username: Thedeadofnight

Post Number: 30
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been buying meat from Piquette Market for several years now, before their original location sadly burned to the ground. It's always been good quality meat. They buy in bulk and pass the savings on to the customer. They even have a mailing list you can sign up for and receive coupons each month, in the mail, for special $19.99 bundles packs. They have a website too: www.meatdeal.com

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.