Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Jack's Waterfront (SCS) on Kitchen Nightmares tonight » Archive through November 07, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 756
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

9:00 PM on Fox.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9063
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Finally, new episodes of Kitchen Nightmares. Two new episodes, in fact!

SHUT IT DOWN!

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 601
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jack's? you mean the place where all the sugar daddies and gold diggers hang out, on Jefferson?

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 758
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1629
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, how did it go?

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 5170
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. It was truly frightening at first--how does a seafood restaurant in Michigan serve frozen product??? And an omelet with imitation crabmeat? It's kind of embarrassing when Chef Ramsey can stroll not 50 yards out the front door, talk to some ice fishermen, and bring in a mess of perch to be used in a chowder, while the restaurant is still using frozen fish on its menu. The exploration of the walk-in cooler was truly one of the more horrific things I've ever seen in a restaurant.

In fairness, the restaurant was able to make a miraculous turn-around, at least on the show. Basically, the followed the formula of the show--redecorate the dining room, reinvent the menu with fresh ingredients, and they gave the chef power to hire and fire his own staff.

Has anyone eaten there recently?

Zimm
Username: Zimm

Post Number: 94
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the most telling thing in this episode was the quality of the folks working there (or lack there of.) usually when you watch this show, there is 1 person whose incompitance is dragging down the resturant, or perhaps a series of bad decisions. but in this case, it seemed that other than the ownership and head chef, they had a kitchen full of people who couldn't give a crap about working there-which is the opposite of what you usually see!

in a way, this show reflected my biggest complaint about the service industry in metro Detroit-they're full of lazy workers who couldn't care less about what they do. they don't produce much. what they do produce is not to the standards of what you typically see elsewhere. and when you tell them you're disappointed, they could care less.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2134
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Double thread mistake (Non-Detroit). Sorry!

Yeah, the health stuff was not good.

Customers were coming in and saying they got sick every time they ate there, and they assumed they were kidding?

WOW!

The renovation is awesome though. The fish bowls are kewl.

This is one of the embarassing things about having Hollywood in town, isn't it? Maybe that is good though. That had to have been tough, for the manager to fire his own Dad, but it's good to see that it isn't all show. That means we can rest assured that it's now a better place, right?

That's how it seems to me anyway. What are some of you thinkin'?

(Message edited by Sean_of_Detroit on November 07, 2008)

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 2789
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I find most of staff in restaurants ok. Fast food not so ok. You pay for what what you get. I had good food at Jack's two times, nothing awesome but decent value.

Hornist9
Username: Hornist9

Post Number: 170
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 6:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I enjoy watching Kitchen Nightmares. My interest really picked up when Ramsey came here to Michigan. I ate years ago at Jack's before the current owners, and was not impressed. The food was not very good. The person I went there with raved over the place, and frankly I couldn't see what was so hot about the place.

Interesting to see how well they are doing now, with such competition as Fishbones, and Pat O'Brian's just within a mile of Jack's. Fishbones has very good seafood, with many cajun type entrees and O'Brians has very good lake perch.

In my opinion, the old man was really taking advantage of his son. Getting loaded on Ouzo every night, and not managing the kitchen the way he ought was not cool at all. Glad as the British say that he got sacked...

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 307
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FYI - the BBQ restaurant that Ramsay was at last week (located in South Bend, IN) actually closed three weeks BEFORE the show aired. How bad can it be when you are holding on by a thread, knowing that national publicity is just around the corner, yet you close anyway? OUCH!

Detroitbred
Username: Detroitbred

Post Number: 164
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love Chef Ramsey! He tells it like it is, even when they don't want to know the truth. That cooler / nasty food stuff was enough to turn my stomach. Yuck....and the workers ( except the chef who really seemed competent ) acted like they were in a coma! And the old guy was a creepy, old, greedy lecher!

Johnlodge

Post Number: 9067
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Chef at Jack's seemed like he cared about his job and enjoyed being a chef, but was in a bad situation. He just needed some support from the owners. As soon as bodybuilder #3 yelled at the slackers in the kitchen to listen to the chef, things smoothed out fast.

And Danindc..

quote:

It was truly frightening at first--how does a seafood restaurant in Michigan serve frozen product??? And an omelet with imitation crabmeat?

Unbelievable, but I like how the chef decided if the owners were going to make him use that crap, he was going to spell it with a K so he could at least keep his credibility!

The restaurant from the first episode last night is doomed. I don't see them making it to the "revisit" season premier next year. There's just too much apathy. Ramsay couldn't even get him angry yelling in his face for 5 minutes. He's a lump.

Danindc

Post Number: 5172
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love Kitchen Nightmares, and frankly, I love Chef Ramsey for heightening the awareness of food quality with his television work. It scares the hell out of me, though, seeing so many people thinking they can just dive in and run a restaurant without even trying. It makes you wonder what you're putting in your body when you dine out!

Johnlodge

Post Number: 9069
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a place for you to try next time you're in town Dan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =W29jGYJ6NLg

Danindc

Post Number: 5173
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^That's the worst name you could possibly have for a restaurant! Ha ha. I'll have to check it out, though. I love me some gussied-up comfort food!

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 603
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and if you're out by Lansing, you can stop here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =OOFHECdqo6U

for fried chicken gizzards and completely battered and fried burgers (bun and all).

Back on topic, I have been to Jacks for the bar a few times but never ate there. Currently glad I stuck to drinks and not food. After watching the show, I was surprised how none of the owners were taking any ownership of the project at first, and how the kitchen staff was filled with a bunch of loafs. I would have fired about half of them a long time ago. After seeing the changes they made, I am willing to try their food now. Wondering if anyone has been in there recently, and can report back on the quality. I kind of wish they would have stopped by to film the restaurant during the summer instead of the winter. would have looked a little more appealing on the outside.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1632
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friend ate at The Fly Trap and said what she ordered wasn't anything to get excited about. I don't remember what she said she had.

Was she wrong? Any reviews?

Danindc

Post Number: 5174
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you look at the menu on the Jack's website, it appears they've kept most of the Ramsey creations, like the fish tacos and poached salmon. They're emphasizing the freshness of their ingredients and that their fish is never frozen. Hooray for real food!

Johnlodge

Post Number: 9070
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's just the thing, Raptor, during the summer the place is hopping regardless of the bad food they had. Just because of the location. It's the winter they had trouble with, so it makes sense for Ramsay to come by then.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10492
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zimm, I agree 100% this whole region has HORRIBLE customer service! The attitudes we get from workers to the people who totally ignore you at their store or restaurant is not acceptable.

Imagine out of town guests and what they think?

I could care less if something is "kewl" or not. As long as the decor is inviting and the service great (regardless of business) then that is a place I want to go and spend my money.

Nipsey
Username: Nipsey

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a link to the entire episode online.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/4313 9/kitchen-nightmares-jacks-on- waterfront#s-p1-so-i0

Dlb
Username: Dlb

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked the back of the house(not Jacks but another shores location) but decided to leave the biz. Watching fellow employees, cooks and wait staff not observing basic health codes was enough for me not want to eat out anymore. Things like not washing hands after smoking outside, touching uncooked chicken then wiping their hands on the apron thinking this is somehow sanitizing and then attempting to prep a salad. I say attempt because I stopped it before he started the salad. I had had to explain to this person the dangers of cross contamination. I can imagine the times I haven't caught him. Wait staff was the same. They handle money out front, minutes later making salads with bare hands that have not been washed.
Talking to mgt about these issues was futile.

Dlb
Username: Dlb

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a link to the Macomb County Restaurant inspection for Jacks.

http://macombcountymi.gov/publ ichealth/foodprotection/Facili tyF060954.htm

This is for all of Macomb County. Just pick a zip from the drop down.

http://www.macombcountymi.gov/ Publichealth/EH/FoodInspection s.htm

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 154
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chef Ramsay was also at Giuesspees in Macomb Township. That is two restraurants in Macomb County getting attention from an international star.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 9071
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Giuessepes is a strip mall restaurant. I never understand how fine dining restaurants can exist in strip malls, but I guess it happens. Plus after you eat, you can buy a cell phone and get a tan.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 1215
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kitchen Nightmares is a fascinating show even if the storyline is somewhat repetitive from week to week. If you agree to be on the show, supposedly you're agreeing that your establishment has problems that need fixing. Yet it's amazing to see a lot of these owners then go about disagreeing with Chef Ramsey when he points out the problems.

I saw part of the Jack's show last night. Refreshingly, those owners took responsiblity for the problems identified. Did I hear correctly though that A.J., the dad, was being paid $100K to be the "general manager?" WTF? Did he have any responsibility and/or authority other than to greet folks at the door? According to him, that was about it. Great work if you can get it. It was the owners' fault for creating that situation. Most restaurant general managers around town - who make far less for more work - were probably working last night, but you can imagine the raised eyebrows that will occur when they watch the episode on TIVO.

It's not uncommon for folks to "invest" in restaurants or bars thinking that they can hire somebody else to run the place and that the money will roll in while they sit at the bar socializing. But good managers are definitely not a dime a dozen. They're very hard to find. It is usually true that if ownership is not working daily in his/her/their restaurant, the place probably isn't very good. It seems that unless a restaurant is high food volume selling lots of liquor, or it is expensive per meal with lots of wine sales, it's hard to find much profit for an owner after he/she pays for competent management.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2759
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing like starting off the show with a violation. If you are on the clock, you can't drink. Nothing like letting the State know you are breaking the law.

Gotta love the people eating and drinking in the kitchen, another no-no.

Anyone ever hear of hair-nets?

This is a perfect example to people who think it is easy to run a bar.

A nautical theme at a bar on a "nautical mile", what genius.

In the end they didn't learn anything because they threw the old man under the bus.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2219
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the old man needed to be tossed. He was a burden on the whole place. I have seen many a time where a group of people go in on a restaurant and don't do anything but expect to make money and It never works! Restaurant work is the hardest business. My dad is an owner who runs a tight ship, and when I show him some places down here, he just cracks up.

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 312
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"If you are on the clock, you can't drink."

I don't think that's true. You can't be drunk, but you can drink. At least that's what I understand of bartenders, maybe not restaurant managers.

Also Jack's was nautically-themed before Nautical Mile was named. Anyway, I'm not trying to pick on _sj_....

I saw the show. I grew up near there and hadn't been there in years, but yeah now I want to try it again. I probably won't, though. In my opinion, Fishbone's, Andiamo and Waves (all on Jefferson near 9 Mile) are much better places.