Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » What do I tell someone who has been robbed 4 times this year « Previous Next »
Archive through November 09, 2008Docterry30 11-09-08  12:14 pm
Archive through November 10, 2008Iheartthed30 11-10-08  11:34 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Topflight
Username: Topflight

Post Number: 58
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warrendale knows what to do, they just lack the response time to take action. It is my feeling that they believe that the city will help them if they toss complaints around. If you have taken every action that the city has put before you, then I ask what are you willing to do? I have suggested on numerous occasions that Warrendale get out in the neighborhood and plan community events to show your presence. Advertise to your new neighbors, Warrendale has had a influx of new residents: very diverse, that speaks at least 3 languages.

Question: If Warrendale bought and placed banners announcing a community meeting on the Thursday prior to the Monday meeting, will we have to pay for a permit to place signs and banners temporarily? Warrendale has two permanent signs on Warren, banners can be placed on these signs. We have even suggested placing banners on private property with permission. There have been suggestions that members place campaign like signs on the lawns the thursday prior to the monday meeting, but we lack enough consensus to even place an order for these signs, but we can donate $100 to the Northwestern District Police that meets at Bushnell Church and $100 to the Friends of Rouge Park.

Warrendale is a part of the Skillman Good Neighbors - Neighborhood. Skillman will be investing $100 million over 10 years to 7 detroit neighborhoods. If Warrendale can decide on what there greatest need is, they can work with the Cody/Rouge Governance Board and the Cody/Rouge Action Planning Teams to help resolve the need. Skillman is allowing the neighborhood to take direct action on improving the lives of our youth. Skillman is providing resources to every community organization/association in Cody/Rouge which includes Warrendale.

Now I ask the current Warrendale Board, what is next, do you even have a plan? They residents will look to leadership in the neighborhood for answers and Warrendale Board gets these answers every month. Residents want to know about committees or action planning teams doing actual work versus just taking complaints and inviting city officials from every department to hear the same complaints every month. Is Warrendale willing to reach out to Skillman? Is Warrendale willing to reach out to the various churches, schools, businesses and other non-profits in the area or Is this too much work for the Warrendale Board?

Carla
Warrendale Board Member

Hutt
Username: Hutt

Post Number: 35
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One Hundred Million Dollars. How many shells of houses and eyesores that are plentiful in Warrendale will that get rid of? How many mini police stations will that fund? Or police and fire people will that be put to use to? How about all this garbage and blight everywhere? Will that 100 million be put to use to hire a person to drive around issuing tickets? Or maybe animal control for all the stray dogs that roam around. Can it go for lumber to board up all the houses that are vacant? These are the things that my neighbors and I have called and complained about, all to no avail. And this is what makes people move...why doesn't anyone seem to get that?

Big_baby_jebus
Username: Big_baby_jebus

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get a gun or move

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 346
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh grow up, guns solve nothing. I have no problems with the concept of gun ownership. It really does not help these folks if they are robbed during the day while they are at work.

Moving is an option. If things are that bad they can deed their house back to the mortgage company and take a walk.

I think that this thread was a real plea from an association president asking for our help by requesting innovative ideas to discourage crime. I feel bad that I can't give better advice. I stick to my premise that these thefts are an inside job. Fight if you want, move if you must.

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 699
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Call in sick, load the gun, and wait in the closet.

Shoot anything that moves.

Giver108
Username: Giver108

Post Number: 26
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^Now you're talking.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2889
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If one is in a situation which necessitates taking time off from work, hiding in a closet for hours, and possibly shooting someone to death, one is in a situation which begs for a better plan than that.
The macho thrill may sound appealing, but it will wear off, quickly, when one takes on the task of cleaning up the splattered blood, flesh, and innards of the body into which one has unloaded one's shotgun.

Hutt
Username: Hutt

Post Number: 36
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And shoot all the garbage and vacant houses, too.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2953
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ladies & gentlemen:
Thank you for all of your thoughts. I have to admit that when I first posted this, I was ready either leave Detroit or at least torch the CAY Municipal Bldg. You've all helped keep this in perspective and stay positive.

Thank you!

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2163
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL... Ravine, thanks. Your comments are appreciated. I am well aware I have a lot to learn, and would like to note that I do actually look past stinging comments to read and listen to what others say (some yours).

Fnemecek, sorry I couldn't get any info. that would help. If I come across anything else, I'll be sure to post it. :-(

Krapug
Username: Krapug

Post Number: 78
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A situation like this sucks big time.

A few other things to consider in protecting your home:

IF your employer allows you to work from home, even 1 day a week, DO IT ! I have never understood why people who have this option don't use it. Trust me in this economy NO ONE is so valuable to their employer, that "face time" is going to make
the difference. Find out if you have any neighbors who "telecommute", and get to know them.

On that subject if a neighbor has been laid off consider paying them to keep an eye on things during the day. When you loose a job it's easy to feel unwanted and useless, here is a perfect solution.

IF you can keep an extra car in your driveway, move it on a regular basis, such as park it head on one day, then back it in the next and so on. Do yourself a favor and make sure this car has the best security system you can get, A MANUAL TRANSMISSION !

Security flood lights are good, BUT make sure that they are installed as high up as can be, and encase them in a steel, or metal cage.

Change your locks often, yeah I know it's a pain, but you never
who might wind up with a key.

Ken

Thames
Username: Thames

Post Number: 292
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From what I've been reading, there are no neighbors around them to keep an eye on the house and even if there was, the cops won't come if the neighbor calls, because it's not their property.

Short of moving, the only other answer is to arm yourself, stay home 24/7 and guard your property and that's no way to live.

Just move.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 1128
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wrote earlier that I would look up the motion-sensor camera that I heard recommended at a community meeting. It is SmartGuard - an electronic watchdog.

Look it up at smart-guard.net. Costs less than $150 for the unit. I would call to find out how far the camera can see, because it seems that, in Detroit, you would want to mount it pretty high.

Also, the security consultant said that you should watch for kids out of school and find out where to report skip houses and truancy. The local DPD community relations people ought to be able to give you that.

I think the idea of staying home once in awhile is good. I was home from work one day and actually saw and reported six bad girls skipping school (wearing Western HS uniforms) and hanging out in the foreclosed house next door to me. I drove away, went to the SW Precinct, reported them and very shortly, a police car arrived and followed them to school. They never showed up again, as far as I know.

6:00 AM - 10 AM is the time in which most burglaries happen.

You know that grown men riding around on beater bikes spells trouble. They are usually druggies (no $$$ for a car) and are usually casing houses.

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 700
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Three parts to this equation...

One

Two

Three

Isolate the variable (make sure your insurance is paid) and solve for X (burn it down and move to Windsor)

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2099
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WARRENDALE FLAG

Frank, a new city is going to need a flag to raise in victory and defiance.

Fnemecek

Post Number: 2954
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome, I love that flag in ways that are utterly inappropriate.

Atl_runner
Username: Atl_runner

Post Number: 1996
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The robbery problem is just as bad here in Atlanta. There are some local homes to me that have multiple break-ins. Basically, word on the street spreads when a target is easy. The owner needs to harden the target.

Video is the best defense these days. 4 camera kits with infrared lighting and DVR capability, are available at places like costco.

In Atlanta recently, a house was broken into, but the perps were caught on tape. Owners took video to the police and were told they would still never find them.. the owners then posted the video on youtube, and the perps were in custody within days.

Technology is your best defense. Use it. Don't be a victim.

Atl_runner
Username: Atl_runner

Post Number: 1997
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a video taken in a local neighborhood. Got it from their community forum. Camera system is the one mentioned from Costco. This is a low quality version of the video.. the original was over a gig in size. This was recorded about three weeks ago.

http://thevoc.org/upload/thug2 .wmv

Janesback
Username: Janesback

Post Number: 496
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Atl, they left abruptly with nothing in their hands...wonder if they were scared off?

Also, did you see them check the mail box? I wonder if that was to see if the residents had picked up their mail or the burglars were looking for credit card statements or bank statements/

I also wonder if that nice pricey Excursion was theirs or was it stolen. Jane

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 1043
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I wrote earlier that I would look up the motion-sensor camera that I heard recommended at a community meeting. It is SmartGuard - an electronic watchdog.

Look it up at smart-guard.net. Costs less than $150 for the unit. I would call to find out how far the camera can see, because it seems that, in Detroit, you would want to mount it pretty high.

That camera will do them no good when the thieves steal that too.

Docterry
Username: Docterry

Post Number: 130
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To follow-up on Krapug's idea - The lock changing is a pain, but well worth it. For awhile, my dad and I used to trade back and forth (he was having major problems in RO, too). It saved a bit on the costs. Now that he's in the UP, I tend to just keep several sets and rotate them every six months or so, rather than buying new ones. Just a thought.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 464
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few more ideas:
1. Put large/tall/heavy pieces of furniture (chest of drawers) in front of windows.
2. Keep side screen door locked and use front door. A locked screen door is an indication to thieves that someone is home.
3. If you can't afford new metal doors, replace the glass in door with wood. Many side doors have a large window in the top half. These are easy for thieves to break and then reach in and open the door.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2176
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 4:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GPS...?

http://www.zoombak.com/

Still thinkin'...

Keep us updated.

Benfield
Username: Benfield

Post Number: 75
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out Kwikset's new SmartKey locks for easy do-it-yourself re-keying. Takes under a minute, no locksmith required. I have a few and it's easy to change the keys, even for just a day to let someone else in.

http://www.kwikset.com/Product s/SmartKey/

Jtf1972
Username: Jtf1972

Post Number: 73
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The police department is just too small. It need at least double the manpower that it currently has.

Just a quick comparison to New York and Chicago shows that Detroit has about 2500 officers compared to NY's 37,838 and Chicago's 13,700. If you adjust the numbers for Detroit based on the difference in population, Detroit would have 4193 or 4429 to be at the same respective levels.

Since the population can change, but the area the police need to cover does not, checking the numbers based on area Detroit's 2500 would need to increase to 11,201 or 8329 to have the same manpower covering the same area as NY and Chicago.

If Detroit had even a police force that was 4326 strong (the size in July, 1967) service would be much improved. How scary is it that Detroit has about 1800 fewer cops on the street now than it did at the time of the riot?

(My number of about 2500 is taken from the DPD wikipedia entry)

Fnemecek

Post Number: 2955
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The police department is just too small. It need at least double the manpower that it currently has.

Just a quick comparison to New York and Chicago shows that Detroit has about 2500 officers compared to NY's 37,838 and Chicago's 13,700. If you adjust the numbers for Detroit based on the difference in population, Detroit would have 4193 or 4429 to be at the same respective levels.

You are by no means the only person to mention that fact. The WCO appeared before the City Council this year to petition for more police officers in the City's budget.

http://warrendale.blogspot.com /2008/04/wco-to-appear-before- detroit-city.html

Unfortunately, they did not honor that request. There will be a series of elections in 2009. I'm fairly confident that this issue will come up during those campaigns.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 2870
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

move

Username: 7051

Post Number: 176
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Move and run from problems." Most people have realized that this strategy only works in the short term. Hopefully Lefty2 has children and can teach them this quick fix to life's problems.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1413
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"Move and run from problems." Most people have realized that this strategy only works in the short term.

i disagree. most people find lasting relief and empowerment when they ultimately make the decision to exit continually abusive, unsafe, and unhealthy conditions. there comes a point where one's futile optimism is overcome by the reality of continued victimization and loss.

Motownmark04
Username: Motownmark04

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 3:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fnemecek, I see that you reference the LAPD in your blog. However, you failed to mention the LAPD's most effective crime stoppers - Vic Mackey and the Strike Team.

They get things done.

(from the TV show "The Shield")

If my family were still living on the same block of Piedmont in Warrendale that we moved out of over six years ago, I'd have security cameras, rotate the locks, floodlights, and a number of other things. Sadly, I'd even consider applying for a concealed weapons permit.

Southwestmap

Post Number: 1132
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thecarl - amen. Life is short. get out of what you can't tolerate. Are we married to the city of detroit 'till death do us part? The city we knew is gone. Now we have an abuser in its place.

I'm staying - but not out of love or ethics. Just some inertia and the fact that I took a bath on my investment in SW Detroit. House would not sell for much anymore.

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 536
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't get robbed again.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2225
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thecarl,

It's a changeable society. People allowed it to get this bad by turning their heads (I'm SURE you weren't one). Others actively participated. They are both to blame.

Southwestmap,

We have to eliminate these problems in or societies before they get any worse. The poor state of Detroit is affecting the Suburbs... and the whole area's problems are killing our state. Now, those problems are one of many contributing to our country's problems, and those problems are sparking even more problems for the entire world.

There is really not going to be any place to run very soon.

Or...

Are you suggesting we say; "Forget our kids and future generations. Life is to short to worry about anything but fun and games"?

Yes, let's laugh our way straight to a real world Hell!?

Reuel
Username: Reuel

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Are you suggesting we say; "Forget our kids and future generations. Life is to short to worry about anything but fun and games"?

A lot of the people I know that left the city did so specifically for the benefit of their kids. Better schools, less crime, safer playgrounds, fewer druggies, less violence in school and outside, no abandoned crack houses on the walk to school, a community of education-minded families, role models of working responsible two-parent families, not having to live in perpetual lock-down mode that messes with your psyche eventually...

It's great to have fresh faces show up full of optimism and willing to put up with a lot of crap in order to do something to help the city, whatever that may be. Just don't be too dismissive of those who fought the fight in the past and now have an overriding responsibility to the little lives they chose to bring into the world.

(Message edited by reuel on November 17, 2008)

Southwestmap

Post Number: 1133
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have fought a good fight. I find, though, that despite the efforts of thousands of people, the city is worse than ever. Our city government exists to line the pockets of the insiders. Precincts are gone and the local police leadership changes daily so there is no neighborhood knowledge. Graffitti and vandalism are THOUSANDS of times worse than ever before. Gangs are running the streets in SW Detroit. Although I have always supported school millage increases (although never had a child in DPS) I cannot in conscience support giving the hugely incompetent and corrupt system any more money.

This is not my fault. These are not my children. I cannot see a good future trajectory. I don't "owe" them anything. There is no ROI. Sorry Sean of Detroit - you may place a decision to stay in Detroit in the realm of moral decisions - but most people would disagree. There may come a time when, for fear of your life, you may have to cut your own losses and run. If my life experience is any lesson (and I have lived in the City for 60 years) that time will certainly come for you as it has nearly for me.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10520
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why are we not smashing the hands of theives? I mean a really good swat with a hammer or bat would do wonders to these parasites.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2226
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I get what you're saying. But, what I'm getting at, is that the problems that so many view as "Detroit's problems" are really Livonia, Novi, Bloomfield Hills, and basically all our problems. Getting your family out of a bad situation is definitely a part of it, I agree. But, I don't know... it just seems like a large number of people got there own little suburb and then never looked back. Moving across 8 Mile or Telegraph was a temporary solution. To many things went unsolved with the apparent stance of "out of sight, out of mind". The longer it's put off, the worse it will get.

You have a huge cost to having your family living in metaphoric safety bubbles, and eventually reality gets through. The criminal element that is being allowed to grow just a few miles away, is going to spread, and it will be a problem for everybody. You have the cost of prisons, and you also have crime seepage. Those children society has thrown away are going to have a huge affect on our future's society.

You are absolutely right when you say it seems hopeless and unchangeable. That is because majority of people still don't care. It's the indifference that is killing us. Which is really my whole point.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.