Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » The Island - revisited « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 869
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I watched this movie tonight here in Germany, I am ashamed to say, for the first time. But how nostalgic it made me feel. Seeing my Detroit again in a movie, how big of a deal it was to us back then, in late 2004, when the area around Griswold, Congress and the MCS were the central point of filming a major picture in the D! My son, now working as a producer in LA, worked on this movie as a grip, it was one of his first jobs in this industry. I remember dear ItsJeff who worked at the Federal Building at the time, telling us about watching the filming out of his office window, he took many pictures of the scenes, they must still be in Lowell's archives somewhere. Kerry Birmingham with a stint as the reporter, I still do watch Fox2 Morning News occasionally during my lunch break. This was before the movie incentive deal that has since given Michigan and Detroit a boost in the movie/Tv industry, but hey Detroit has for a long time been a great background to many a great movie.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 3072
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Ghetto Butterfly! I hope all is going well.

I tried to find thread with itsJeff's photos but it looks like it is lost as the link that he posted to the original thread no longer works. Sorry!

Big_baby_jebus
Username: Big_baby_jebus

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funniest landmark in the movie... The Steve Yzerman mural on Cadillac tower. I guess they decided not to cgi it out.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 613
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I forgot about that mural. What's with this city and covering up murals with advertisement banners?

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1518
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any way and anything you can do to make a buck in this cash-strapped town.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 2002
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Raptor, Yzerman was an advertisement. He replaced Sander who was an advertisement too.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1663
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Ghetto_butterfly, how is Germany? How long ago was it that you moved? I can't remember, but I think I remember you posting about it just before you left.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14788
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the Island is a keeper, saw it at the theater when it came out...then promptly forgot about it. But, I need to have the DVD. I actually liked the movie...thought it had some valuable analogies.

One day I want to count the number of Chrysler vehicles destroyed in it...then sub-count those felled by ancient technology that would very likely NOT be carried so insecurely on an open transport capable of high rates of speed. (no, those aren't the analogies, just a curious side-track...that was SOME chase scene, classic over-the-top Michael Bay!)

Yeah, fond memories of those behind-the-scenes pictures and the play-by-play from Jeffrey. Thanks for the bump on that, G_b. ESPECIALLY that armored-car crash scene...he watched that one shot live, all day long if I remember correctly.

Thought about you the other night, we had another of those fabulous sunsets. I was just south of Campus Martius, and it was reflecting EVERYWHERE off the various buildings and windows. Breathtakingly unreal...everything glowed.

Cheers

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2165
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love that movie. I want one of those desks and one of those toilets (they actually exist. The desk is on the market).

I was living at a Grand Circus Park apartment building back during the filming. The helicopter crash scene was filmed right across the street on Bagley. At the time, I had no idea they were filming a movie, and opened my blinds one early morning to see a full sized helicopter crashed in the middle of the street. They weren't completely done with the set, and there was no way to tell it was a movie scene yet. I actually thought a helicopter crashed in the middle of Bagley... hehe.

(Message edited by Sean_of_Detroit on November 11, 2008)

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 478
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How long has itsJeff been gone?

Gannon

Post Number: 14790
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Coming upon two years now...February, I believe.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10501
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Island sucked. 'Nuff said.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 755
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Logan's Run-

<313>

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2174
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No one is ever "gone".

And The Island did not suck.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6807
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bet that if is was filmed in Omaha, not Detroit, there would be many less fans of this turd.

Gencinjay
Username: Gencinjay

Post Number: 74
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I enjoyed The Island, but I will concede that I may not have liked it as much if it hadn't been filmed in Detroit. It was fun picking out the Detroit scenes. Same with Transformers.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2182
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I actually like it (The Island) for the movie. It's your typical futuristic action movie. It's good for what it is. Why do you think it was bad compared to other movies of that genre?

(Message edited by Sean_of_Detroit on November 13, 2008)

Gannon

Post Number: 14804
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, Transformers sucked. I totally hated that Detroit was in that movie.

It made us less real.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2186
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll have to see that one. (Or maybe I shouldn't)?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.