Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Scrapper still in business « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 2800
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another scrapper story...
http://www.freep.com/article/2 0081109/NEWS01/811090392
The gist... Bill Heaney of B.H. Plumbing on12595 Gratiot, was arrested after finally getting caught
in April, got druggies to rip off water heaters, anything they could get their grubby paws on.
It took 12 hours and two huge removal dumpsters to get the crap out. over 200K worth
He fenced property for SEVEN YEARS! WTF.
Yet to be charged, he is still in business.

People like this helped bring Detroit down so quick, like the crack dealers who sprung up in 1980.
I was looking at a house on Courville and Munich, a crap hole of a neighborhood, next to east english village and saw people outside looking like they were working on a house. I think they had people inside tearing it inside out.
The 48224 area code is in complete assault of crackheads ripping shit out of homes.

The CC needs to put a moratorium on buying scrap metal from these low lives.

Leannam1989
Username: Leannam1989

Post Number: 98
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He sounds like he's not too scared of being punished. Will he be sufficiently punished?

It's funny, we're watching Leave It To Beaver. This just made me think of the line:
"I have spanked him. His father has spanked him."

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 688
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What are the new laws about scrapping metal.The place were I used to take junk that i had lying around stated there was a 500lb minimum at his yard in Wayne and that it is a 1 ton minimum in the city, so whats the deal?

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 371
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like Ms. Worthy has dropped the ball. To much time spent frying Kwame?

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 642
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 3:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reddog289: I'm with you; one thing is...the fence laws are worthless, too. A six foot chain link fence is no obstacle to Detroiters! "Neighborhood Stabilization Plan", my foot. Nothing will be "stable" unless vacant properties are properly secured for future reuse. Nobody wants to buy a shell. Could you call 911 if a building is being vandalized? Would anyone come out?

It takes money, you say? How many slumlords and "investors" are in arrears in taxes to the city? I've read some are 10 years and more overdue in payments!

This is your heritage and mine that is being raped and ripped off. If I still lived in town, I'd start it myself, but a serious citizen's action committee would be a good start. Look what it did for the Mormons in California.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 345
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We saw the house next door get gutted and the police said we couldn't make a report because we were not the owners.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2407
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

We saw the house next door get gutted and the police said we couldn't make a report because we were not the owners.

detroit rises!

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 9640
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas,
That is my bottom line.

We hang signs on empty buildings "This building is being watched", yet our calls to DPD are rejected because "we are not the owner".

I made numerous calls while living in Detroit to 911 after observing a break-in to a car or house on my block, only to be told if I was not the owner, my call wouldn't be responded to.

Despite my misgivings about moving to the suburbs, I don't miss that attitude.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 1163
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heaney Plumbing was back in business the day after they were busted.

Lefty2

Post Number: 2809
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Houses on Three Mile in Morningside right now are being torn apart, cops don't care, they don't want to get shot. I would shoot them but I would go to prison.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 462
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The next time you are denied police service, ask them if they are familiar with the following:

"THE MICHIGAN PENAL CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 328 of 1931

750.52 Duty of public officers.

Sec. 52.

Duty of public officers—It shall also be the duty of all sheriffs, deputy sheriffs, constables, policemen and public officers, to arrest and prosecute all persons of whose violation of the provisions of the preceding sections of this chapter they may have knowledge or reasonable notice, and for each neglect of such duty, the officer so offending shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor."

Leannam1989
Username: Leannam1989

Post Number: 101
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

[quote]Houses on Three Mile in Morningside right now are being torn apart, cops don't care, they don't want to get shot. I would shoot them but I would go to prison.[/quote]

Shoot the scrappers or the cops?

Really something needs to be done. Sure, they can't catch most the scrappers, but if they catch a couple and make an example of them, maybe that would help.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6851
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. Haney

Only slightly used!

Lefty2

Post Number: 2814
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^funny.

but did Mr Haney didn't steal his crap, i think? just sold it to people who were dumb enough to buy it.
edit
Retroit-
correct, but if they don't come, do they know about it? It a tree falls in a forrest...

If the police were held liable to that, then the city of Detroit would be put out of business by so many lawsuits because they get hundreds, no thousands of calls with no response.
So can I file a lawsuit against the city if they don't come out and I record the call? They have notice, I may have pictures or audio.
The DPD would crumble if held to this standard.
Why not just let citizens shoot the bastards who are terrorizing their neighborhood.
Save the city money and time.

And another thing.... This is like terrorism on a local level. I would invite Homeland Security to take action to take back Detroit.

ok, there's my rant. thanks for reading.

(Message edited by lefty2 on November 10, 2008)

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1520
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's already starting, but it'll soon be open season for scrapping in the suburbs with the death of the middle class and U.S. manufacturing.

Lefty2

Post Number: 2815
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you might be right if things keep on track as status quo.

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1870
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be a shame if something happened to his storefront pictured in the article.

Lefty2

Post Number: 2820
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, that would be just awful if someone stole his goods inside when he was away.

Lizaanne
Username: Lizaanne

Post Number: 120
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is just sick and wrong. I know the DPD is not staffed the way they need to be, but to not respond to a call when it is right next door is just insane.

My grandmother and uncle still live on Faust at Southfield - he has called the police numerous times when crap starts happening outside his house, and they just don't care. He has taken to parking an old car in front of his house just so the drug dealers don't do business RIGHT in front of his house. Damn, how I wish they had gotten out of there decades ago when they had a chance and the house was still worth something. Now it's not worth the paper it's paid off on. :-(

~Liza

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 479
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shoot both!

Enduro
Username: Enduro

Post Number: 153
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where's Batman when you need him? Until the city takes care of this properly maybe it's time for some vigilantism.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 649
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd shoot them too, Mortalman. I'm sorry, but junkies and idiots don't seem to understand much else. "Hey, you, get out!" isn't as effective as the sound of a shotgun blast in their general direction. And do you think they'll come back for your stuff? Not likely.

You might have heard down in Houston, a guy shot at burglars next door. The Grand Jury told the DA he was wasting their time prosecuting the guy. You have the right to protect yourself and your immediate environment. It's a civil right, at the least.

You could even make an argument that B&E's of any kind are terror-inducing. It's scary as hell to find a stranger lurking in neighboring houses, breaking windows and tearing down walls.

Oh, and the B&E should offense #1, the actual stealing, offense #2, and the selling of the stolen goods, offense #3 for each count. I hope that's how they do it.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 689
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 3:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am surprised that with the number of abandoned houses in my area that I don,t see alot of scrapping, Yet an older, maybe historic? home by me seems to be missing alot of siding. Rhymes got it right.But the thought of buying a "new" hot water heater or furnace from some guy pushing it in a shopping cart is crap.Before the net i listened to Coast to Coast with Dearborn Hgts own George Noory, I,d say No WAY TO THE 2012 END DATE. But with the way things are, I might invest in solar powered electric fencing.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.