Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Fountain in the Sidewalk « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 353
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, I have an issue I'm trying to solve.

Ever since the building on Canfield burned down on September 3rd, there has been water leaking from the fire hydrant or sidewalk at Woodward and Canfield. When I say leaking, I mean more of a fountain.

I called the City Water and Sewerage Department about a month ago to have them fix it. To my surprise, a crew came out that day. Then, this crew proceeded to bang on it with a hammer. This, somehow, stopped the water from coming out of the fire hydrant.

After that, I'm not exactly sure what happened. They also opened up a little access hole adjacent to the hydrant and fiddled with things. This resulted in a much greater amount of water spewing onto the sidewalk (from the access hole).

After the spewing began, they took off. I figured they would be back, but I put too much faith in people sometimes.

Since then, I have called 5 more times, without resolve. Winter is coming and this water in the sidewalk is about to become a serious ice issue. Who knows what this will do to the brand new Woodward streetscape and the foundation of the MOCAD.

Who knows how many thousands of gallons this has wasted?

What should I do, call the Problem Solvers?

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 9641
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool, winter is coming, free ice skating. :-)

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 396
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Problem Solvers sounds about right to me!

Hans57

Post Number: 354
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone else seen this?

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 1127
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have an internal number at the DWSD - for public affairs: 964-9549 Maybe call this lady Lorraine and tell her you inadvertantly called her - that you actually want to be connected to Pamela Turner's office. No doubt they will put you right through.

Turner is the new interim director of DWSD.

Also, the public affairs department may want to know about this leak. The PA department regularly has to report about the amount of water lost through leaks - and Detroit has a higher percentage than most.

Docterry
Username: Docterry

Post Number: 128
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know last fall/winter, we had one near the office on Temple that leaked into the street literally for months. Lots of ice, lots of waste. Every once in awhile, there'd be a crew out there, but little in the way of resolution for many months. Yeah, problem solvers sounds like a good idea if the new department director can't address it in a timely fashion.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6854
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Broken_main might still be lurking here. Maybe he'll see this thread. He seemed eager to help with things like this. I haven't noticed a post from him lately though.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 756
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a leak for a really long time last school year at the Livernois entrance of UDM. It had to have been there most of the winter because I remember having issues will pulling out because of all of the ice.

Hans57

Post Number: 356
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My hard work hasn't gone in vain, folks.

They put up a Water and Sewerage sawhorse or whatever they're called.

Things are looking up!

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1020
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I guess the problem is solved then. :-)

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 925
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

have you ever noticed while driving on i94. along the side embankments, the ground is wet. I mean if we go thru a hot dry spell, the ground is wet. probably pipes from houses that were moved for the freeway,that are leaking

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 270
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there was a huge leak in livernois out in front of udm for a year and a half, cars got stuck in the ice dam during the winter. there was also a streetlamp just chillin on the lawn by the main entrance for just as long-

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1580
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I can get the address that is nearest the hydrant, I can see if I can get someone out there ASAP. It's that time of the year when these mishap occurs. I think I may start a thread so when these occur, I can just come on here and check the status for you.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6864
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hans57, Broken_main's your man. It's nice to know that some people still care. :-)

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 1091
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 3:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Broken_Main is THE man, he helped me with some preliminary research I was doing regarding the Detroit Residency Requirement last year. Broken_Main gets an A+ (and a few cool points) from me.

Hans57

Post Number: 360
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, Broken_Main, I don't know how I didn't see your posts until now, but I'm still interested in seeing this fixed.

The nearest address is 4600 Woodward, it's at the corner of Garfield and Woodward, right in front of the MOCAD.

This would be awesome to see fixed before the ice creates havoc.

Hans57

Post Number: 361
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump

Ashdetroit
Username: Ashdetroit

Post Number: 26
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for getting it fixed. All that water messed up my new boots. :-)

Hans57

Post Number: 362
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 7:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not fixed yet, Ash.

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1634
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 7:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did they stick a key like this in the valve hole next to the hydrant ? If they did, and that didn't stop the flow, they must dig, dig, dig. :-)

Hans57

Post Number: 363
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To my knowledge, they haven't done anything but hit the hydrant with a hammer and open up the access hole.

That would be awesome if they dug up the brand new street scaping!!

Hans57

Post Number: 364
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just received a text from my girlfriend claiming that the leak is fixed, it's solely hearsay at this point though.

I'm in Toledo, is anyone in the area that can verify? Not that I don't believe my gf.

Hans57

Post Number: 365
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They tore they hell out of the sidewalk and are replacing the hydrant.

Looks like my incessant nagging paid off.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.