Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » What do I tell someone who has been robbed 4 times this year » Archive through November 09, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2945
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many folks on this forum already know this, but I'm president of the Warrendale Community Organization - which represents approx. 9,000 households on Detroit far-west side.

I got a phone call yesterday from one of my neighbors who had just come to discover that they had been robbed for the 4th time this year. They've called everyone in the Detroit Police Department that they can think, but they've never gotten any kind of a response.

Needless to say, their frustration with DPD and the City of Detroit as a whole has reach new heights. They expect me as the president of their community group to be able to do something, but I have no idea what to even say to someone who has been robbed 4 times in less than a year.

Does anyone have any ideas as what I can tell these people?

http://warrendale.blogspot.com /2008/11/getting-robbed-4-time s.html

Maof2
Username: Maof2

Post Number: 1013
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

move:-(

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1470
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Call Ken Cockrel directly

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1406
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

f, if you can't count on the city to provide the services you need, you must do it on your own. you have obviously taken steps in this manner, such as making a blog available. i'm sure you've thought of - or maybe have in place - a community patrol? i think the best you can do is band together, and make sure your neighbor knows that the break-in is being experienced by the community, and the community will respond. patrols, newsletters, emails, pager alerts, text alerts, blogs, etc.

my folks live in an area which has experienced a big uptick in burglary and larceny. the neighbors hired a retired sheriff who patrols the area and does a good job letting folks know what to look out for, and descriptions of people who are prowling or were seen leaving a break-in. he talks to the people, sends out a weekly email, and necessary email bulletins. it has helped.

God bless.

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 441
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is hard to imagine that a home would get robbed four times in a year by random chance. Do these people think they are being targeted, or is there something especially inviting about their house?

Deteamster
Username: Deteamster

Post Number: 176
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frank,
In Corktown and Briggs we have a Citizen's Patrol of which I am a member. We have nice magnetic things that attach to the car and flashing orange lights for the roof. People work in two hour shifts. Though we can't, say, shoot people, I think just the presence alone is enough to deter crime. A few offenders usually get caught per month. Any suspicious behavior is recorded and sent out to all everyone on the e-mail list.
Something I would highly recommend.
The e-mail is corktowncitspatrol@gmail.com

Detroit_uke
Username: Detroit_uke

Post Number: 32
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, Frank, what about the fire on Artesian last night. Another business up in flames. Robbed 4 times? Sounds like an easy target...sounds like someone they know. I'd say - either move or install an alarm system. Brink's is offering free installation (there IS a monthly fee)- they can pick up more info at STA - you know, the place where u have your monthly meetings.

Fnemecek

Post Number: 2946
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey gang,

First off, I'd like to say "Thank you" for the responses. I do, however, have a few quick notes:
quote:

move:-(

If they could, they probably would. Unfortunately, they have a mortgage and - in the current market - they can't find a buyer.
quote:

Call Ken Cockrel directly

Oh, he'll hear from me. If anything comes of it, I'll let you know.
quote:

It is hard to imagine that a home would get robbed four times in a year by random chance. Do these people think they are being targeted, or is there something especially inviting about their house?

It's definitely not random. One of the unique things about that home is that it is literally surrounded by vacant homes. Therefore, the thieves can break in during broad daylight - when the owners are at work - and there's no one around to witness it or call the police.

As for the radio patrol, we used to have this in Warrendale. We had two problems with it, though.

First, we would call in problems to DPD but not get a response.

Second, when their cars were marked in any manner or anyone figured out that they were patrolling, they would be targeted for intimidation by drug dealers.

For example, during the Angel's Night campaign, one of our volunteers was approached by 4 armed individuals who blocked his car's path with a van. They asked him what kind of drugs he was looking to buy. When he replied that he wasn't looking to buy anything, he was told that he needed to either buy drugs or get out of the neighborhood.

When these things happen a couple of times without a clear response from the police, people lose their desire to volunteer.

Fnemecek

Post Number: 2947
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Hey, Frank, what about the fire on Artesian last night. Another business up in flames.

Indeed. More than likely, it was the same guy who was hit those two businesses in August.

http://warrendale.blogspot.com /2008/08/arson-in-warrendale.h tml

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 722
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have they considered getting a dog?

Fnemecek

Post Number: 2948
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dogs and alarms have been suggested by a couple of people. I didn't think of it last night, but I'll pass those suggestions along.

The one problem with a dog, though, is that we've actually had people steal dogs - or at least certain breeds of dogs. (They get used in dog fighting rings.)

Thank you for the suggestion!

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1996
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have an alarm. I have also installed motion sensor lights on three sides of my home. I have a home that is empty next to mine and I've been concerned about the same thing happening to me as what has happened to the person you know. I put up the motion sensor on the last side when I came home one day to find the screens off of my side windows and a garbage can that they were using to try to get into the home. The thing is I don't have much to steal. I have an 8 year old computer and a 20 year old television. I doubt they would swipe the stove or refrigerator.

I've had the garage broken into a few times. I just buy the cheapest used mower I can find. They never take the rotory mower. Maybe I should just use that?

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6837
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a shame people get robbed while at work. They're trying to do the right thing while someone's doing the wrong thing to them.

Is it feasible to hire a house sitter while they're at work? Could one problem (security) lead to the partial solution of another (unemployment)?

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1642
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man, who would want to sit in a house that's a target? Not me, that's for sure.

Thecarl

Post Number: 1409
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

zarks, show some sensitivity, please. i know a lot of people who have tried to hold onto homes they were raised in, or members of their family owned. they remember opening presents at a house on christmas day, or having an aunt or grandma cooking pastries, or picking straweberries in a back yard, or whatever.

if you're interested in piling on, join the palin thread.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1649
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey there thecarl, for a minute I was looking for someone named zarks and then Irealized you were addressing me. I like zarks!

No no, I wasn't being insensitive at all. I was replying to Jimaz's post about hiring a housesitter is all. Good? Hope so.

Thecarl

Post Number: 1410
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, zarks, it's good...plus, i'm glad you like zarks. i thought it was kinda racy and cool.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1650
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been wanting a street name (after watching too many First 48 shows). Maybe zarks isn't it, but it is something, isn't it. One guy was called 'cheeseburger'. We liked that one.

Just realized that zarks makes me think of Scooby-Doo, "Zoiks!" So, it isn't racy and cool anymore. Darn.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6841
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would security cameras just add more loot to be robbed? Maybe they could be hidden?

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 768
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how 'bout Mr. James BoBo? Best First 48 name so far!

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 5143
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am very sorry for this person, but I would like to know if this person was "robbed" or "burgled" four times.

As one who has been both robbed and burgled, trust me, there is a huge difference between being robbed with a gun to your head and returning home to find the house burgled and the VCR gone.

Both are unpleasant, but the degree of concern difference is significant.

Robbery

Robbery is the taking or attempting to take something of value from another person by use of force, threats or intimidation. It is committed in the presence of the victim. Robbery is commonly known as a "holdup" or a "stickup" (i.e. bank robbery or mugging).

Robbery is usually divided into different ‘degrees’. The degrees vary by state and can also depend on whether a weapon or something that appears to be a weapon was present and/or if an accomplice was present. Any degree of robbery is considered a felony by law.

You might also hear the term ‘aggravated robbery’. If a suspect makes a victim believe that he has a deadly weapon by showing a weapon, saying he has a weapon or displaying something that appears to be a weapon, it is aggravated robbery.

Burglary

Burglary is the unlawful entry of a ‘structure’ to commit a felony or a theft. Burglary is commonly known as a "break in," or, "breaking and entering." A ‘structure’ is usually in reference to physical buildings but not cars. Car break-ins or thefts are considered larcenies.

Burglary does not necessarily translate to damage. It is still considered burglary if someone enters through an unlocked door or window with the intent to commit a felony or theft. This is called ‘non-forcible entry’.

‘Forcible entry’ is when windows and doors are broken or forced; screens, walls or roofs are broken; tools are used; locks are picked, etc. You might also hear about ‘attempted forcible entry,’ which is when a burglar attempts to enter but is frightened off.

source

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2147
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 2:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, with all do respect, I think the difference isn't extremely important in this case. Those type of intimidation tactics are being used, based on things he has said. Does it matter at what times?

Quote from original poster:

"For example, during the Angel's Night campaign, one of our volunteers was approached by 4 armed individuals who blocked his car's path with a van. They asked him what kind of drugs he was looking to buy. When he replied that he wasn't looking to buy anything, he was told that he needed to either buy drugs or get out of the neighborhood."

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 188
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 3:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The sad truth is, this is usually done by people in the immediate neighborhood. In the past, we would depend on our neighbors to help keep an eye on things. Now, most of us don't really even know our neighbors. I don't know the solution. Maybe more grass roots community organizing. A good job for everyone who wants to work, and certain punishment to those who victimize others should be the goal. How do we achieve this?

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2087
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Despair and helplessness. The cops won't show up in a timely manner, they won't patrol the neighborhoods, no one at the District HQ is accountable, no one on Council lives there or even lives close to there.

No one in city government cares.

Time to make our own city and secede from the Detroit. It sounds drastic, but the feeling of powerlessness can only be cured by taking power.

I guarantee, putting up signs announcing the Village of Warrendale, hosting a presser in front of a house that has been robbed 4 times in the last year, is going to get attention.

I know Lilpup is up on the ways such a thing can happen, or the obstacles to it, but the threat of seceding might be as effective as doing it; especially, if you can coordinate with another part of the city to do the same thing. DelRay for example is - and has been - under served by the City.

Secede, take over an empty school, make it Warrendale City Hall and stage a series of outrageous events.

Curly98
Username: Curly98

Post Number: 53
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Larceny- Just once
Burglary- I'm at 5 times
Home Invasion- Just once

Detroit sucks

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 287
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Short of hiring Harry Callahan,forming a vigilante group or making your palace an expensive fortress, what else can you do but move?
This crap has been going on for over 30 years. You wonder why the city is losing so much population?
When your house is robbed, you have been violated... period. Do you want to live in fear?

Chrissy_snow
Username: Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 347
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is so terrible, I'm so sorry for this family, I can't imagine what that must feel like. This is always when they're away from home, right?

I grew up in the projects, and we were NEVER robbed or bothered by anyone at all. I married and moved out at 21 and left my g'mom there - she wouldn't move, no way, no how. No one EVER bothered her. I never really worried about her either. People were robbed and killed and assaulted all around her but no one bothered her until the day she died at 97.

Anyway, times have really changed.

Are they crooks coming in the door/window, are they breaking them down? I just wonder if they have steel security doors/windows? Alarms? NOt that the alarms would help if no one comes.

I just hope they are never confronted by the criminals in or at their home, that could turn dangerous.

I know people don't want to leave their homes, I never wanted to leave my childhood home in the PJs and never felt it necessary until I became an adult. But sometimes you really have to put your safety first and realize when its time to fold.

(Message edited by chrissy_snow on November 09, 2008)

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 289
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can always get another place to live but not another life.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2406
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

would've moved after the second incident.

you tell him to consider moving if he has the means to do so. there is nothing about this city that is worth putting up with that for, that can't be enjoyed from a safer community in the area.

(Message edited by gravitymachine on November 09, 2008)

Docterry
Username: Docterry

Post Number: 121
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just to add to what was said . . . yes, some kinds of dogs can be (and are) stolen, particularly if they are young and/or overly friendly. Like any other type of "security" they require some up-front investment and some maintenance. However, even the best alarm system only works if the police actually respond, and respond in a timely fashion. So...having had so many break-ins while temporarily living in Port Huron (and none since we've returned home to the D, knock on wood), I do have some suggestions. First, and this may sound harsh, if there are kids in the house, especially pre-teens or older, you may need to take a good, objective look at their friends. A number of our problems came from that direction. Second, if they are coming in through the windows without breaking them, get a dowel rod, cut it into short pieces, drill holes the same diameter in the window frame just above where the window opens and put a piece of the rod there - they may end up breaking the window, but if its loud and bothersome enough, they may give up. As for dogs, I believe in them 100%, but, like guns, dogs in this role require that some training take place. For the dog and the owner. Don't get a puppy - they are the most likely targets for the dog fight rings. I generally look for a dog that's 18 months to 2 years. Yes, you have to spend some time "getting acquainted" to make sure with one this old that you will be able to trust each other. Then, get thee and s/he to training. PetSmart is a good place to start - close by, relatively inexpensive, fairly basic. You can go beyond the basics, but have to be careful who you get involved with (heavy-duty, punishment-oriented training is risky) and its usually not necessary. Dogs, by nature, will protect their territory and "pack" and don't really need a lot of training to do that. As popular as Pits are, and they are a great animal, they are *not* generally people aggressive, they are dog aggressive. A pit who is reasonably mentally healthy may not actually be terribly aggressive toward a "friendly" stranger. My danes have been pretty good at guarding property, and friends tell me the same is true for dobe's. Both do require, though, that the owner understand something about dog behavior and be able to manage a big dog. It can be dicey, without a doubt. And few "family friendly" dogs will go after someone they know, so if its an "inside job" it won't do any good. I try not to have too many people get too close to my dogs. Any possible security measure, short of having a police department that actually responds, has it drawbacks, though. I wish them all the best. The frustration with the lack of response is, for me, the worst part.