Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Big convention heading to Detroit. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3596
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AA commits to 2020 Detroit convention

Can Detroit support all of these new hotels you still ask?

quote:

Alcoholics Anonymous has committed to bringing its 2020 convention with 65,000 visitors to Detroit, Carla Penzabene, director of sales for the Metro Detroit Convention & Visitors Bureau, said today.

Penzabene said the event promises to rank as the most visitors ever for a Detroit convention. The city beat out Los Angeles for the event in part because of downtown’s cluster of new upscale hotels.

What's all this nonsense about walkability that you people keep talking about?

quote:

Downtown Detroit’s walkability also rated as a plus over the more dispersed and car-dependent Los Angeles cityscape, Penzabene said. AA planers liked the ability to walk from the Renaissance Center to Ford Field and nearby hotels.

As the article points out, this will be the largest convention that Detroit has ever hosted.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1435
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think if I were a smart bar that week, I'd change my offerings to all non-alcohol options to cash in.

But, being eleven years out, I think it's not something to worry about this instant. But it's GREAT news. This kind of thing helps the smaller (but still large) folks get behind making the Detroit Decision.

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 425
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, 2020! 12 years is a loooooong time!

Can you imagine planning for a 2008 Detroit convention back in 1996? I'll eat at the London Chop House or Caucus Club, stay at the Omni or Ren Cen Westin, and play at the Soup Kitchen or Rivertown Saloon.

This is good news, but in 12 years, 80% of the hotels and restaurants currently in downtown Detroit won't even exist, so nobody will be holding their breath for a super-distant convention.

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 529
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so your implying that Detroit will be a ghost town in 2020...

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3597
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

This is good news, but in 12 years, 80% of the hotels and restaurants currently in downtown Detroit won't even exist,

Any news for me in your crystal ball?

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1436
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In general, new places replace the old ones. The only things I can think of that's been around that long are Pizza Papalis, the Anchor and Checker bar. That's the way of entertainment venues. So they may have different names, but they'll still be there.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3857
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2020. Sheesh. I'll be....let's see....84. Hey, I don't even buy green bananas any more.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1303
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They'll probably come up with some miracle cure for alcoholism in 2019.

Detroitpetanque
Username: Detroitpetanque

Post Number: 188
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the important factor: Walkability

Because you certainly don't want thousands of possible drunks driving around metro-detroit!

Publicmsu
Username: Publicmsu

Post Number: 788
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What are the chances of the People Mover being turned into the city's first party train? After the 'real' mass transit is developed, a moving bar would be the next best thing for the People Mover.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5579
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2020? So much for taking it one day at a time.

Detroiterbychoice
Username: Detroiterbychoice

Post Number: 139
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This gives me just enough time to become a full fledged alcoholic and go to treatment. Ill be out of rehab in time to walk to cobo from my place. Sweet! Cant wait to hit bottom!

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 426
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't mean that Detroit will be a ghost town in 2020; I meant that most of the hotels, restaurants, taverns, etc. downtown will not exist in their current incarnations by 2020.

Obviously there will be new places, but they will have different names, ownership, etc.

This has nothing to do with using a crystal ball; it's economic reality.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7492
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

[modified post]

OK, Crawford, you posted before I did, so I was replying to your earlier post...

But yes... no one can predict what Detroit will be like by 2020... hell just look at the difference between Detroit a year ago, and today... development wise.

(Message edited by Gistok on November 10, 2008)

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2095
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Think it might be time to switch to decaf Gerhard.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3904
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit still lacks a decent shopping district.

That's all it needs & everything else will fall in place (it generates tax revenue & foot traffic).

So those business women that come here & plan to shop will have to drive all the way to Somerset. :-(

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3905
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

This is good news, but in 12 years, 80% of the hotels and restaurants currently in downtown Detroit won't even exist, so nobody will be holding their breath for a super-distant convention.

I agree. :-)

Dinnc
Username: Dinnc

Post Number: 35
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This will be great for coffee houses and any store that sells smokes!!

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 395
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

12 years away...12 steps. Mere coincidence?

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3555
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A major victory for the Kilpatrick administration....?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7493
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome... after seeing your "Lactation Station" post, I may never drink coffee again! :-(

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2827
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

2020. Sheesh. I'll be....let's see....84. Hey, I don't even buy green bananas any more.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 638
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This will be the first convention Detroit's ever seen that bar owners won't be overjoyed about.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 2843
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'll drink to that

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3919
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

12 years away...12 steps. Mere coincidence?

12 more steps backwards, that is...:-)

Ktkeller08
Username: Ktkeller08

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeez, they schedule their conventions out even further than the summer Olympics are.. I never realized groups scheduled conventions out that far.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.