Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Detroit 2008 Voter Turnout « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 474
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know what the percentage was for Detroit voter turnout in the recent election? I've read on the discussions that it was around 50% but I haven't found any evidence to support that figure. Thanks.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4843
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 6:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/article/2 0081108/COL10/811080374/1118/P RINT

quote:

Detroit's unofficial returns show that 53.25% of registered voters voted, compared with 50.99% in 2004 and 48.52% in 2000.

Ruxy17
Username: Ruxy17

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The article completely overlooks the fact that THOUSANDS more detroiters were registered to vote this year that were not registered in 2004 or previously. I bet if you looked at the actual number of voters, it went up significantly.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2690
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It could be that a lot of the registered voters have moved elsewhere, but the rolls have not been updated. We were getting updated cards for at least eight years for a young lady who stayed here in 1994. There doesn't seem to be a mechanism for purging the rolls if someone moves away.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 5478
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is horrendously low.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3599
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It could be that a lot of the registered voters have moved elsewhere, but the rolls have not been updated. We were getting updated cards for at least eight years for a young lady who stayed here in 1994.

That's what I suspect.

Also, 50% isn't a terribly low voter turnout. Nationwide, the turnout was in the low 60% range, and that was relatively high.

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 499
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It could be that a lot of the registered voters have moved elsewhere, but the rolls have not been updated"

I get updated cards for my mother and she moved away back in the mid 90's

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 475
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pam,, Thanks for the reference to the Freep story. I appreciate it.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9096
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

We were getting updated cards for at least eight years for a young lady who stayed here in 1994. There doesn't seem to be a mechanism for purging the rolls if someone moves away.

They tried that... Dem groups cried foul and they had to overturn it.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2692
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It takes a little more than just crossing them off if the cards come back. There needs to be some kind of national registration reciprocity, maybe. When you register, they could ask where you were previously registered and give you a cancellation notice to send to the prior site. It would be really expensive, probably.

Could the clerk's office do a little research, maybe? Card comes back, send another missive to the address, asking if the registered person still lives there. I think it would have to be in an envelope with a return envelope to protect privacy.

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 285
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is...the QVF system was put in place in 1998. When you register in another city or state (or apply for new drivers license) it notifies the city clerk in their previous city to remove them...but if they never register again then they'll always be there.

Older cities with lots of renters tend to have lower turnouts, because those people just don't live there anymore

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.