Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » New DDOT bus stop signs? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 321
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

survey posted on new sign designs, FYI.

http://www.detroitmi.gov/Depar tments/DetroitDepartmentofTran sportation/tabid/80/Default.as px

Russix
Username: Russix

Post Number: 151
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought they just changed their signs about 2 years ago? They went from the highly visible bright neon yellow and green to something that I have to double check to make sure I'm at a bus stop, not loitering next to a No Parking sign.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1690
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, you have to check this out. The new signs actually contain some information.

W_chicago
Username: W_chicago

Post Number: 58
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was driving along Woodward today, and saw the new signs posted up at stops. They looked really good, even tho they look sorta temporary. I love watching our bus system improve!! =)

Next up: bike racks on all DDOT routes

& in the near future: light-rail on Woodward

How exciting.

Doctors
Username: Doctors

Post Number: 765
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If only their mapmaking skills were up to par.

SMART can do it. Why not DDOT?

Professorscott

Post Number: 1692
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They have a fine map, though a bit out of date, but it's not on line. The Detroit Transit History web site has a wonderful on line DDOT map, completely up to date.

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 383
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm surprised and disappointed SMART hasn't initiated something like this, it would be nice.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1868
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It all comes down to money. SMART is choosing to spend their meager funding on service. Although the signs would be nice.

Professorscott

Post Number: 1694
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The basic problem with transit service in this area is just that, money. Metro Detroit spends about 1/3 as much per capita on transit as the average of regions with 4 to 5 million population in the US. ($75 compared to $240.)

If we actually want transit, we'll have to pony up for it. Who's in?

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 317
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, How About Hybrid Buses Next?

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2315
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These are great improvements for DDOT, especially the supplementary signs at the stations. These signs are the base information at at most transit stops in America and are a "given" in cities with good mass transit systems. It's incremental steps like these and bike racks combined with the express routes that are slowly, but with encouraging progress, moving DDOT in a very positive direction instead of the multi-decade death spiral it appeared to be in just a few years ago.

I took the survey, but I do have to say that the survey design was horrible. They're asking questions on things like "is the sign big enough" and "is the sign readable", yet they don't say how big the sign is or how high off the ground it will be. How can you judge the effectiveness of the sign if it doesn't show it in it's setting? The phrasing of the questions was poor as well. Even with these complaints, this survey is also a great improvement for DDOT.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1025
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 2:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I took the survey, but I do have to say that the survey design was horrible. They're asking questions on things like "is the sign big enough" and "is the sign readable", yet they don't say how big the sign is or how high off the ground it will be. How can you judge the effectiveness of the sign if it doesn't show it in it's setting?

The survey was designed to be given out to people at the stops where the new signs are installed. If you frequently use one of those stops (Woodward and Warren or Woodward and Seven Mile) during rush hour, chances are you've been offered the opportunity to fill out a paper survey on the spot while looking at the sign. That is also why they ask for the sign number, which you have no way of knowing if you just stumbled on the survey online.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.