Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Bagley Elementary « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Marshall
Username: Marshall

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Living on Prairie near 6 mile in Northwest Detroit, I went to Bagley Elementary, Post Jr. High between 1953 (kindergarten), and 1963.

Anyone out there go to those schools? Any memories?

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 362
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marshall...did you live north or south of 6 Mile?
By the time I reached Post a couple of years after you, the boundaries had changed such that kids living north of 6 Mile went to Hampton, kids living south of 6 Mile (like me) went to Post.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 1070
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's the name of the school in the neighborhood south of warren on or near Greenview?

Swede1934
Username: Swede1934

Post Number: 63
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gary..
Does anyone know when Hampton became a Junior High? I finished eighth grade there in 1948, and at that time it was still an elementary school.

Gary

Post Number: 363
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good question, Swede1834. As I recall, Hampton was actually a K-8 school when I came along. There is a large addition on the back of the original building, so I'm guessing that must have been built to accomodate the extra grades. When I started Mumford HS in the fall of '68, the three feeder junior highs were Post, Hampton and Beaubien. Most of the Hampton kids had come to Mumford a year earlier as 9th graders.

Swede1934
Username: Swede1934

Post Number: 64
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the answer. Pictures I have seen also show an addition to the North end of the school. This extended over the site of a temporary building that used to house a woodworking shop. I still have a bookcase that I built there as a class project.

Marshall

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gary, I lived North of 6 mile between Santa Rosa and Santa Clara.

Marshall

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of Mumford, remember Cupid's Bow? Mrs. Middleton's biology or Mrs. Schnell for math?

Kimistree
Username: Kimistree

Post Number: 197
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You all are older than I am but I went to Bagley starting in 1967. I was part of the class that first got to use the new wing built onto the school around 1969 I think.

My Dad says he was the first black teacher at the school, he started teaching there in 1962.

Gary

Post Number: 364
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marshall...Yeah, I remember Cupid's. Although the place was closed by the time I started Mumford, I remember going there a few years earlier when my Little League team would practice on Mumford's playground. I used to envy the "older kids" hanging out there and couldn't wait until I was old enough to hang out too, without my dad and younger brother. I was bummed that the place went out of business. The main hangouts in my day were Green's hamburgers at Wyoming and 6 Mile and Lefkowsky's Deli on Wyoming and Curtis.

Marshall

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 7:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I loved Greenes! Take a ball of meat, slap it on the grill and presto! Lefkowski's, Fredson's and Lou's were all great deli's.

Steves
Username: Steves

Post Number: 16
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kimistree - Memory is a bit foggy, but was your Dad Mr. Stafford? I don't think he was the first black teacher at Bagley. There was a woman who taught auditorium (whatever that meant) and maybe english before 62. I can see her face but can't remember her name (it will come to me as soon as I hit SEND).

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.