Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » As if winter driving wasn't bad enough.......... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 670
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

now they want to take away my salt lick

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 9648
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First, you wanted the Government to supply you with roads, and now, you want them maintained!?

That's the problem with Libruls, no sense of personal responsibility.

:-)

Jams

Post Number: 9649
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd tell you to just take a bus, but that's just another Government entitlement too!

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2837
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get out here and salt the road yourself, and show that good ol' American can-do spirit.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6866
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detnews' Road salt mix: A quicker fix in Macomb County article mentions "Epoke Sirius Combi Spreaders" which are reported to use 30% less salt. I couldn't find much information about them other than this:

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2411
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

still don't understand why they don't cut the salt with sand...

Lnfant
Username: Lnfant

Post Number: 189
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

big, you seem to have an endless supply of those fruitcake graphics–one for every occasion.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 725
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

still don't understand why they don't cut the salt with sand...

I've heard that sand causes maintenance issues with storm sewer systems. Sand is a better choice for rural areas without storm sewers.

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 856
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For one sand does not work very well especially when the temps get well below freezing. It also causes silting issues with surrounding water ways and storm drains, builds up over the winter creating a mess in the spring and is very abrasiveness and tough on the roadways and equipment. Plus it still has the same costs of fuel usage and labor costs. The county also would have to pay for the sand and keep it completely dry while in storage and in the trucks (Otherwise it turns into a giant frozen, spreader clogging dirt ball =).

Bike4beer
Username: Bike4beer

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sand is also hard on cars from what I have read. Acts like a sand blaster on the car. I am sure your windshield would get a bit hazy from sand blowing around.

I am wondering how big an impact this will really have anyway. The county does only the county roads while the city takes care of the rest (at least in Dearborn).

Also. Who knows how bad a winter we will have this year. This all could be mute if we don't have that severe of a winter.

Jams

Post Number: 9650
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.esnowshoes.com/inde x.php

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 857
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.movetomexico.com/ =)

Jams

Post Number: 9652
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice!

Ro_resident
Username: Ro_resident

Post Number: 340
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Road agencies are cutting back on the use of salt because of cost and environmental concerns.

They also seem to be willing to try new methods for keeping the road safe--by using preicing liquids like beet juice, brining, monitoring when, where and how much salt is being put down, and other types of deicers (magnesium, calcium based products).

Sand is pretty hard on the storm water system. Also, it tends to clog pervious pavements used in some parking lots and road edges.

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 345
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 2:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sand is all they use here. No salt, no rusted cars. They are experimenting with some kind of fluid mixture that as long as it's put down before the road freezes it will remain unfrozen. Also on bridges they have installed sensors which keep track of temps. Soon as it hits freezing sprayers take care of the bridge and it don't freeze. The only way I talked my wife into moving up there was telling her they keep better track of the roads than they do down here.

down here there can be a half a inch of snow on the ground and school is canceled.

Ct_alum
Username: Ct_alum

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bike4Beer: Try this: Use "moot" instead of "mute"; that way you won't sound like an idiot. I have never met an issue or a point that can talk, so obviously, they can't be mute either. Common mistake, but very annoying none the less. Thanks!

Bike4beer

Post Number: 40
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ct_alum: I will be looking forward to annoying you as much as possible in the future. Not really sure if it really warranted calling me an idiot though. Didn't know that this forum was being graded.

(Message edited by bike4beer on November 13, 2008)

Ct_alum
Username: Ct_alum

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bike4Beer: You're right, I was a little harsh - Sorry! Please feel free to continue to annoy me at any time, that's what makes this country great.

Bike4beer

Post Number: 41
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ct_alum: No problem. Wait till you get to know me before you call me an idiot.

Now back to discussion on the intended topic

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10508
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about snow tires and driving slower? How about shoveling in front of your business or house to the middle of the road and the neighbour across the street do the same? Saves on plowing expenses and salt. That money could be used elsewhere in the city budget.

No, instead we should demand more and more and then whine about taxes. What happened to the north americans and the ability to overcome? Wwe sure as shit have become nations of whiners and couch warmers.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 312
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ann Arbor uses a lot of sand, per environment-oriented measures of a decade ago. And it doesn't work very well. It always takes a day or two to see clear roads, and the differences when you cross into the township-maintained areas and especially into Ypsilanti are dramatic. During a snowy afternoon commute the delays here are insane. However, we survive. Maybe this winter we'll just be even-steven with everybody else.

Ndmom
Username: Ndmom

Post Number: 198
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goat, I thought about shoveling/plowing into middle of street also but I don't think most people would do it.
I wonder what the insurance companies are saying about this. Of course, they will just pass the cost onto us.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3868
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

.....and you all laugh at me for bailing outta Detroit for Las Vegas. Paid my dues, I did.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9120
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

No, instead we should demand more and more and then whine about taxes. What happened to the north americans and the ability to overcome? Wwe sure as shit have become nations of whiners and couch warmers.

In my old neighborhood, there was an old guy who had a plow on his truck, and he would plow the nearby streets for everybody. He's too old now, so my dad took over. It's a really nice thing to do for your neighborhood, they do not have city plow service unless things get really bad (it's a township)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.