Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » New ARCADIA Book on Downtown Retailing Premiers Nov. 20!! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7495
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just got an announcement from my good acquaintance Michael Hauser (co-author of Arcadia Book on Detroit Movie Palaces, and director of Theatre Historical Society as well as Preservation Wayne)....

______________________________ ________________

PLEASE JOIN US FOR A UNIQUE HOLIDAY EVENT TO BENEFIT THE DETROIT HISTORICAL MUSEUM!!

Thursday November 20th, 2008, 5-8 PM

The Arcadia Publishing Book Launch of "20th Century Retailing in Downtown Detroit", by authors MICHAEL HAUSER and MARIAN WELDON.

* Features over 200 rarely seen images and chronicles the glory days of downtown retailing.

* Dedicated to Diane Edgecomb, longtime past president of the Central Business District Association, and brainchild of many of downtown's most successful projects.

* Co-Author Michael Hauser will be present to sign books.
-------------------------

THE EVENING ALSO INCLUDES:

* A sale of rare photos from Ms. Edgecomb's extensive collection of downtown places and events from the 1950's to the 1980's. You won't find these images on EBAY!

* A silent auction of rare photos and books.

* Welcoming remarks from downtown leaders and shoppers, including Ted Gatzaros, Joel Edelman, Gayla Houser and Phil Marcus Esser.

* A special display on Downtown Detroit retailing.

* Light refreshments.

---------------------------

5PM-8PM - Thursday November 20, 2008
Detroit Historical Museum - 5401 Woodward

(Free parking in back of museum off Kirby St.)

Admission is free to members of Detroit Historical Society - General admission is $10.

For reservations call (313) 833-1801

Or e-mail rebeccam@detroithistorical.org

--------------------------

All proceeds from the sale of photos and silent auction items, and a portion of the book proceeds will benefit educational programming at the Detroit Historical Museum.

Crash67
Username: Crash67

Post Number: 65
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This looks like an interesting program.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 3081
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FYI...the sale and auction portion begins at 3pm and runs until around 6pm when the presentation begins.

I'm planning to attend, so will see you there!

Ragtoplover59
Username: Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 391
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My copy of the book came today from Amazon. Great pictures of all the stores along Woodward Ave. Detroit really had it going on pre-70's. Thanks for the heads-up about the book.

Craggy
Username: Craggy

Post Number: 360
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michael Hauser will be on Detroit Today shortly.

Crash67
Username: Crash67

Post Number: 68
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool event last night. Lots of amazing old photos.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 3088
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crash67! I was there too.

Michael Hauser's personal collection of downtown Detroit retail memorabilia was on display. The speakers shared the history of the Central Business District Association and the Downtown Development Authority. Diane Edgecomb was present to hear kudos for her efforts in making downtown Detroit the place to be back in the 60s-70s-80s. Phil Marcus Esser was in from his home near Las Vegas to share some history of working with Ms. Edgecomb; he brought his guitar and played the song he wrote at the behest of Martha Jean the Queen; the song played at midnight every day for years on WQBH. Other personal stories were shared. And near the end of the evening, I was tapped by one of the "mystery shoppers" and gifted with tickets to see the Nutcracker at the Opera House in December.

Also...Yummy food! Interesting conversation!! And I had the opportunity to purchase a number of interesting downtown Detroit photos from the 50s and 60s.

A delightful event!!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.