Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » St. Vartan's Armenian Catholic Church « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kova
Username: Kova

Post Number: 168
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So I've been passing by this Church for years and never knew its history. I think the church has been for sale for a year or so and it looks like the congregation is holding services elsewhere.
http://www.realestateone.com/c ontent/PropertyDetail.asp?list ingNumber=e28112168

Does anyone here know about the history of this small church? Besides what is on their website?

http://www.geocities.com/wmwol fe_48044/St_Vartan.html

(Message edited by KOVA on November 12, 2008)

Kova
Username: Kova

Post Number: 170
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

anyone?

Kryptonite
Username: Kryptonite

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kova, I remember that church from when I was a boy and had relatives that lived in that neighborhood. There is a mention of the church having opened in 1948 in an armenian catholic web site but no other details. To my knowledge it was still operating in the 1990's but maybe the Armenians had moved out by around 2000 and it was being used by a black congregation? The last time I drove by there even the banner for the black congregation was gone. Back in the 1970's that was still a very nice neighborhood. My relatives moved out probably around 1972. I think there are three other Armenian churches on the west side that still are operating.

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 69
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to play hockey very near there when I was a kid at the long gone Gallagher Park rink (which was outdoors). The congregation itself may date from 1948, but those buildings went up in the 70s.

Kryptonite
Username: Kryptonite

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 8:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I somewhat think the standing St. Vartan's was built in the 60's. It seems like I remember the church from when my relatives moved into that neighborhood around 1964 or so? An do you remember the mosque on Joy Rd. west of Greenfield that seemed so exotic? back then I would tell my school friends in OH about my relatives in Detroit that had a giant mosque near their house. And back then an Armenian church to me was a total mystery because I had no idea who Armenians were.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.