Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » How can people be so selfish! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1114
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just heard on Channel 4 that 2 cars were drag racing 100 mph down dequindre by the EM and one hit a passing vehicle and killed one woman and the other woman is critical... The other racer pulled up to his friends mustang and pulled him out and took him to the hospital, and never checked on the status of the women and took off leaving them to die. How horrible can people be...

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2193
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 2:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the Detroit Free Press:

A drag racing accident in Detroit this evening killed one person and critically injured one of the drivers.

The hurt driver had been speeding in his Ford Mustang near Canfield and Dequindre, when he hit a Saturn Ion not involved in the race, killing one of the two women inside, according to WDIV-TV Local 4. The other drag racer fled the scene unharmed.

The fatal crash near Eastern Market occurred about 6:30 p.m., according to the Detroit Fire Department.

Full Story Link: http://www.freep.com/article/2 0081112/NEWS01/81112112/1001/r ss01

Sirrealone
Username: Sirrealone

Post Number: 271
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 7:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too bad somebody wasn't around to give these idiots the courtesy of a 'Christopher Moltisanti' ending.

Davemarc
Username: Davemarc

Post Number: 98
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 7:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats a common place for drag racing,on friday/saturday nights.I've seen drag cars being unloaded off trailers.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2413
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the NB 75 service drive between clay and holbrook is also a popular place for racing, also with cars and bikes being trailered in, and curiously well within sight of any law enforcement crusing on the freeway....

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3626
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gravity: Yeah, they don't seem to bust them, but I've seen Hamtramck police a half-mile north of there ticketing people who go over 25. I guess the DPD doesn't care.

Davemarc
Username: Davemarc

Post Number: 99
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dpd used to do a sting about once a month.There was a pro-built 70 cuda.The officer offered the driver to put it in the trailer and tow it to impound or he would call a wrecker.Needless to say it sat in the 7th pct(when there was one)impound till monday.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 294
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw drag racing on our residential street (Winthrop) by our ignorant neighbors back in 1977.
They also repaired their cars in the street when ever it suited them as well. I got in their faces about it but it did no good.
It was one of the many reasons for our move out of the city. The other reasons were armed robbery and home invasion.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 880
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Selfish isn't the word I'd use in this instance. Murderous is probably more appropriate. Causing an accident, pulling a friend out of the car, and leaving critically injured victims at the scene is homicide.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 1221
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Homicide charges will be coming. The guy who fled will also be charged if he can be found. It will be interesting to see if the guy in the hospital gives up his racing buddy. Prosecutors will put lots of pressure on him. They have lots of options as to what charges to bring. Cooperation could mean the difference between a couple of years as an inmate or 15-30.

Sirrealone
Username: Sirrealone

Post Number: 272
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems to me that a few strips of wood with nails sticking up placed on the street right before these guys got started would speak volumes on how welcome it is.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 639
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope both drivers are in for a world of hurt. String 'em up.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 779
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/article/2 0081113/NEWS01/81113032

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 3083
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Act of kindness may have put victim in racer's path
http://www.freep.com/article/2 0081114/NEWS01/811140332/1001/ NEWS

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 1199
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yay, car culture. Detroit is born and killed by a singular industry. All the peripheral things that took root among it all are the things we have celebrated and now too often lament. America is too generous and too cruel with its blessings and curses of 'opportunity.' Just my little thoughts for the day.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.