Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Beating the odds: Detroit businesses that thrive « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Doma
Username: Doma

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 1:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Best story I have seen in quite sometime!

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20081113/BIZ/8 11130404

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2195
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 3:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very nice!

So, in other words one or more of these five things are helping sell businesses;

1. Novelty and originality.
2. Serving the under-served.
3. Discounted goods.
4. Good customer service.
5. Quality product.

We have been using all five of those to build our business (I work in e-commerce retail and fashion).

(Message edited by Sean_of_Detroit on November 13, 2008)

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 1175
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 8:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

SOD

Very nice!

So, in other words one or more of these five things are helping sell businesses;

3. Discounted goods.
5. Quality product.

We have been using all four of those to build our business (I work in e-commerce retail and fashion).

I hope you are not responsible for the book keeping.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2196
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I clearly was looking past "business 101".

(Message edited by Sean_of_Detroit on November 13, 2008)

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3861
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Folks who took "Business 101" are okay. It's the MBA's that screw things up...... :-)

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1441
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL @ Toolbox :-)

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2197
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL... I added the fifth...

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 2173
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So out of the five, which one are you not using? Because I'm not buying a scrotum ring from you if it's number 4 or 5.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 780
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

isn't a scrotum ring considered a novelty?

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 5149
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

3. Discounted goods.
5. Quality product.

Everything^ our hat-in-hand 'big' 3 have ignored.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 9263
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 2:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well put Lowell. I still contend that our true strength is our innovation (the Japanese generally improve upon it and build it overseas cheaper YEARS later) and ingenuity. I truly wish the Big Three would be brave and cutting edge again. I really think that's truly the way out of our financial quagmire.

Registeredguest
Username: Registeredguest

Post Number: 446
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I beg to differ. Not well put - rather, overly simplistic generalization based on another overly simplistic generalization.

Tell that to the designers of the Flex, Outlook, Arcadia, Volt, Camero, CTS, G8, Astra, Flex-Fuel vehicles, Edge, first generation mini-van, Malibu, etc. Just because Toyota makes their hybrid look like a turd doesn't mean they're innovative.

I think the job bank, work rules, no co-pay health care and other un-competative arrangements are doing a fine job at that.

3. Discounted goods.

Yeah - like 0% financing, employee pricing for all, massive rebates and competitively priced goods?

Saturn ranks top in customer service from JD Power and Associates. Other brands and divisions are comparable.

5. Quality product.

Quality has improved, and is nearing comparison to the imports. Also, the warranties offered by GM rank among the best in their class.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 760
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Beating the odds: Detroit businesses that thrive

Nice fluff piece. Before this thread spins off into auto talk, a couple of things here beg the question; how is 'thrive' defined?

Good Girls has been open for three months and depends on walk up traffic. I would think that is about to drop off considerably in the coming months. Mercury has been open for TWO WEEKS. The paint isn't even dry. Perhaps being open for at least a year should be an minimum threshold for THRIVING?

Not a knock at either we need more like them, but c'mon. NO other business in the city were better choices for this article? Are there THAT few that can be considered as thriving or was the reporter just that lazy?

Cooper
Username: Cooper

Post Number: 42
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Higgs -- the article's split half and half. The first three are businesses that have survived and thrived for at least a generation. The second set are new businesses that "at least initially, have carved out a niche" aka businesses we *hope* will thrive. Cut the reporter some slack.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 761
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The first three are businesses that have survived and thrived for at least a generation. The second set are new businesses that "at least initially, have carved out a niche"

Ok, i guess one could read it in that bifurcated way, but that is not what it said. And, weren't there 6 in the article. Where does People's Records fit?

I just don't feel that a business has "carved out a niche"( even initially) by simply managing to stay open for two weeks (mercury) or two months (good girls). Awfully low bar being set there, no?

And that is my issue with the article. Neither of the so called "niche" businesses have been open long enough to "beat the odds" or "carve out a niche". That is disappointing b/c there are many others that are and have, which could have used the well deserved free pub.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 857
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have to agree with Higgs. I just glanced over the article yesterday and my immediate thought was that a new business that survives and then thrives after their 1st yr. has "beaten the Odds"

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1418
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

why is there no mention of markowycz's european sausages? WHY? nearly 60 years of doing business making sausages in a neighborhood where the original clientele has been displaced by dope dealers, hookers, and boozers - and this business has still held strong.

i use markowycz's as an example to point out the following: it doesn't appear that the writers know detroit very well; the businesses featured in this piece are very tightly clustered - and, largely, "hip." i also agree with other posters who point out the lack of tenure of some of the establishments. it's like seeing 1995's list of greatest songs of all time, and seeing "the macarena" at the top.

and continuing with markowycz's as an example, i'd like to review this list:

3. Discounted goods.
5. Quality product.

they have nailed #5. item #4 is highly debatable; the lady i've always dealt with has been somewhat surly to others, but i think she's got a heart of gold, with a self-protective, potentially gruff exterior. the other items? i don't see how.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.