Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » NYT Op-ed yesterday « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ja1mz
Username: Ja1mz

Post Number: 145
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 7:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't know if this was posted already

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11 /12/opinion/12friedman.html?_r =1&em&oref=slogin

Providence
Username: Providence

Post Number: 48
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I’ve read a lot of articles on the bailout, but I think this one takes the cake for narrow-mindedness… or maybe just ignorance. Here’s another who seems to think that if the Big 3 just made fuel-efficient cars, got rid of their stockholders, and fired management, everything would be fixed. Nevermind things like the low/non-existent profit margin on those cars, the fact that the Dems will never throw out the unions, the high cost of domestic parts, and the two-fleet rule. Also, it takes time to retool. You don’t just upload a new CAD design and let ‘er rip. Good idea – make an entire, undiversified fleet of more costly cars that run on ethanol when gas prices are dropping and ethanol is not widely available. I’m sure they’ll sell like hotcakes. And half of what he is saying just comes from a WSJ op-ed piece, anyway.

The Big 3 are already working on major restructuring plans. What they need most is a level playing field with their foreign competitors.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3630
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think national health care would go a long way toward their viability.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5600
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

already posted and ranted about in the "Will the Big Three DIE" thread

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.