Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Mercury Coffee Bar Opening » Archive through October 24, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 149
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why call it a bar? If it doesnt have alcohol then it is not a bar! I'll stick with Starbucks!

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14631
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like you've been around twelve steppers a wee too much, Scoots!

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2186
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you tell em!

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 2027
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Why call it a bar? If it doesnt have alcohol then it is not a bar! I'll stick with Starbucks!"

^^^ I'm sure the coffee sucks because of the name.

Izzyindetroit
Username: Izzyindetroit

Post Number: 121
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They will be serving beer and wine downstairs.

Dtales
Username: Dtales

Post Number: 26
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do they have a liquor license already?

Gannon

Post Number: 14636
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

heh-heh, YOU'RE up early...

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 2177
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Why call it a bar? If it doesnt have alcohol then it is not a bar! I'll stick with Starbucks!"

Isnt it hard to reach the drive thru window from your Mini Cooper?

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 298
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Geez, read the article! They'll have beer and wine downstairs. They won't have beer/wine next week, but it's on the way.

(Edited to say beer/wine instead of liquor. Todd told me they won't have liquor, just beer and wine that will compliment the current menu)

(Message edited by Melody on October 19, 2008)

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 557
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drove by last night, what a pleasant sight to see the sign all aglow on the corner and the lights on inside. Can't wait to drop in next time I'm down that way!

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2363
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Isnt it hard to reach the drive thru window from your Mini Cooper?

nice work east_detroit

Newlaster
Username: Newlaster

Post Number: 263
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 3:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many coffee establishments now are referring to themselves as 'bar' instead of 'shop'.

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2366
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they need an open/closed sign.

i thought they opened at 7, but driving by at 8am this morning i didn't see a soul.

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 306
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The term "bar" is relative. Americans use the term "bar" in correlation of alcohol.

Gannon

Post Number: 14678
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oddly, all the lawyers I know drink...and they're members of a bar.

Went to school for it and everything...gotta take some damn test.

I think that's why they're better and more discerning drinkers than I...

Rocknrollscientist
Username: Rocknrollscientist

Post Number: 175
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I drove by at 8:40am, there were maybe three people in there who looked like they were probably customers. I had hoped to stop in this morning, but was running way too late for work. I'll try to make it in either after work tonight or on the way tomorrow.

Folk313
Username: Folk313

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dah! why didn't you open up in the train station instead? this was our chance!

(actually, the view towards the station on a summer day from inside the cafe might be the most ironic in all detroit)

Gannon

Post Number: 14688
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(...and troubling for those who cannot seem to weather ANY reminders of ol' Manny's lockhold on the city)

Dtales

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They open tomorrow, kids. I already stopped by earlier. Not ready for biz but I did get some free coffee cake. They'll be open 7a-10p tomorrow, cash only.

http://dtalesdtown.blogspot.co m/2008/10/mercury-coffee-bar-a lmost-open-but-not.html

Gannon--:P

Gannon

Post Number: 14690
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It almost has a hypnotic effect in that way...you're getting very, very pinky...come closer into the pink...a long time ago in a pink far, far away...

(copyright 2008, D-Tales blog...something you ALL have to check out, she's fucking brilliant with words, if maybe a wee biting in her truthful commentary, but I've not found her wrong yet.)

All that pink talk boggles the mind...heh...but an old guy can surely dream, if even from imagined double-entendres.

I'm sure you'll know when I finally get rich and lose my ability to talk...those ARE the eligibility requirements, right, D-tale?! Fabulous, as always!

Coffeecake?! I've heard about this concept of baking your drugs into food...curious.

Dtales

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

***SMOOCH***

:D

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2004
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stopped in for lunch, and as reported, the Merc is hoping to open on Tuesday. Scuttlebutt says that a City Fire Inspector decided he needed a personal day today, so he didn't show up as scheduled.

Todd gave me a quick tour and is really excited about getting the place open. A great little menu, with a couple of vegan choices just for Andylynn.

A very clean interior with a few tables and a healthy selection of counter space for those who need to eat standing up. Didn't see any bar stools, but that doesn't mean they don't have them.

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2371
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 8:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mmm, good coffee and pecan bars!

its open

Rocknrollscientist

Post Number: 176
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny, I had the exact same thing, except I had a Cafe Americano and a pecan bar. I agree, the espresso's good, and the pecan bar is like pecan pie in a small rectangle.

The staff was very attentive and quick when I was in there at 8:20am today.

I grabbed a menu on the way out...I'm thinking I might stop in on the way home for one of the sandwiches.

Rocknrollscientist

Post Number: 177
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, cheers to dormouse for the fabrication of the counters. They look great.

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 241
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very good coffee.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2933
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The staff is the best part of the place, IMHO. Super attentive, knowledgeable and hospitable.

Easily among the best around.

Birdie
Username: Birdie

Post Number: 69
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 1:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i went there today and THE COFFEE WAS AMAZING!!!! the food looked delicious, too. going there tomorrow for dinner. the decor is sweet!

Detroithabitater
Username: Detroithabitater

Post Number: 174
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awesome place.

Friendly staff.

Will definitely frequent and support.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 2041
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone have pics?