Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Home inpssector recomendations « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

N7hn
Username: N7hn

Post Number: 80
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

anyone know of any trustworthy and competent private home inspectors that work in the city boundaries? any referrals would be appreciated

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1590
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we used mitchell j. kuffa jr. and he was very good. while not located within the city, he knows the city very well and has worked in the city for decades. he is also very knowledgable about older homes. contact info:

627 north riverside
st. clair, mi 48079
810-329-4052
inspectionsbymjk(at)comcast(do t)net

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 404
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We used Key Inspection Services...586-247-7000 a few years ago. They were very thorough. They are located in Shelby Twp and I have idea if they do work in the D or not.

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 511
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a home inspection here in nashville that basically revaled nothing. Then I started having electrical problems that even electricians wouldnt touch. The electrician gave me some GREAT advice. Have an electrician come inspect the electric, a plumber to inspect the plumbing and carpenter to inspect the structure!

Believe me it would be WELL worth that. My inspector found nothing and my house is LOADED with electrical problems.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 405
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Key Inspection found all the problems in our home...some electrical, some plumbing. They inspected the attic and foundation for structural problems. Like I said, they were very thorough and very informative about everything in the house. This was in 2004 and it cost us $235, I think.

Savorynotsweet
Username: Savorynotsweet

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can highly recommend Lon Grossman's Technihouse inspections: http://www.technihouse.com

He did my home inspection about five years ago. Very thorough, broke down concerns into immediate/short-term/long-term categories. Most importantly, he made sure I (a first-time buyer) understood what he was saying about the house without talking down. I still use his inspection report.

He also labelled everything in my basement -- gas main, water shut offs, furnace/hot water heater hook-ups, electrical circuits...those labels have come in really handy.

Not sure if he still does this, but he also gave me an autographed copy of his book (Around The House) when it was all over. He's also good on his promise to answer any questions you might have post-inspection.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 1442
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I second Lon Grossman. He's the best in the business. I hired him for some expert testimony for a high-dollar commercial dispute re: a project I was involved in and he saved the day. I've been to his house in Bloomfield Hills (years ago) and it's clear he did not get where he is by doing shoddy work. He's very thorough. I've recommended him to others and all have been satisfied and thankful. He writes (or used to) a column in the Freep. He has an extraordinary CV.

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 273
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 2:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DON'T assume that because you have an electrician inspect the electrical, etc. that you will be better off! We purchased a house built in 1913 that had only 4 fuses for the entire house....basement (furnace and hot water), 5 bedrooms, living room, dining room, kitchen, utility room and 2 bathrooms. We hired a recommended electrician to put in extra lines and split up the service. Since WE are not electricians, we trusted him to do it properly. Well, we STILL have ALL the ceiling lights and wall plugs that are UPSTAIRS on a line with half of the first floor. We have to plan ahead when making coffee and avoid using the microwave and dishwasher at the same time. I could go on and on. To top it off the county inspector approved the work after it was completed. We only found out what was what by going from outlet to outlet with a tester and flipping the breakers until the outlet or light was disabled. So don't assume that all is well when a professional does it. ASSUME....to assume...to make an ASS of U and ME.

N7hn
Username: N7hn

Post Number: 84
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks all....... info noted and filed. i appreciate it.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.