Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » House approves Cobo authority ("Ficano's folly"" « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sg9018
Username: Sg9018

Post Number: 296
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

House approves Cobo authority
More in Detroit News,
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20081114/M ETRO/811140401/1409/METRO
The house approved a convention authority to purchase Cobo Center and use a combination of bonds and taxes to pay for its expansion and operation.
L. Brooks Patterson,Oakland County Executive thinks this plan is "Ficano's folly.". He also thinks this,"We're looked upon as the city of Detroit's ATM,". He belives this plan gives too much power to Detroit.
The authority will have four appointees from Detroit and Wayne County. Oakland may get one or two appointees.
That article here,
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20081114/M ETRO02/811140431

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 836
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LBP's chief complaint is the hotel tax. He wants to get his hands on that for Oakland County. Otherwise, his complaints of OC being a "cash cow" don't have anything to do with where the money is coming from to fund this.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 745
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

L. Brooks Patterson has done nothing but complain about the deal and has not offered one suggestion. You call that a leader?

And I love this statement, "Patterson said with that figure in mind and the dire shape of the auto industry right now, 'it begs the question of whether an expansion is needed.'"

Wow!! now that is forward thinking. He needs to get his head out of his azz or retire.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 902
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

L. Brooks is an old crank.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1024
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 2:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"We're looked upon as the city of Detroit's ATM,"

LOL. The only people who "look upon Oakland County as the city of Detroit's ATM" live in Oakland County, and the only reason they think that is that people like Brooks have been pounding it into their skulls for decades in order to score political points without actually having to do anything.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1425
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 2:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

um, nevermind the $30M kwame tacked on to the cobo loan, without notifying other municipalities who were unwitting consignees?

bear, are you even aware of this?

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2107
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 5:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dedicate millions of dollars to renovate and expand Cobo Hall just so it can host an Auto Show for an industry that looks like it may disappear.

On the plus side, I hear Fincano is within an hare's breath of landing the BUSHWA Convention(Buggywhip Users for Scar Healing and Waxing Association), followed by LIBEL, (Legal InBreds Extreme Loving).

Rest Easy, Oakland County, Bob and Ed and Kwame and Bernard have always done the right thing. No reason to think anything different. Any oversight is just "The Man" trying to keep The City down.

Jtf1972
Username: Jtf1972

Post Number: 74
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 5:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a rule, I find that pretty much anything that Patterson does not like is worth consideration at the very least.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2206
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 5:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In related news, four more foreign automakers pull out of next year's International Auto Show (IAS).

Link: http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a rticle/20081114/FREE/811149949 /-/-/4-foreign-automakers-pull -out-of-auto-show

Dbc
Username: Dbc

Post Number: 177
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LBP is nothing but a myopic, idea-less, obstructionist curmudgeon. He's also fond of arrogant hyperbole regarding Oakland County. If you read the News article from today, Wayne County and Detroit pay about 80% of the bill for Cobo. If that's the case, L. Brooks is full of shit likening Oakland County to an ATM concerning Cobo. The area would be better off without that worthless prick.

Sg9018
Username: Sg9018

Post Number: 297
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A another L Brooks quote about this issue,
"We're about to make the 'bridge to nowhere' look good,"
More about Suburban leaders balking over authority in the Free Press,
http://www.freep.com/article/2 0081115/NEWS05/811150338

Glowblue
Username: Glowblue

Post Number: 20
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patterson's criticisms don't make any sense. Chicago, Los Angeles, and New York all have major auto shows, and none of those cities (except perhaps LA) have a major auto industry presence.

quote:

As a rule, I find that pretty much anything that Patterson does not like is worth consideration at the very least.

He is the George Costanza of county executives.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3921
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AH HA! I just figured out why Metro Detroit can't get anywhere.

It's L Brooks Patterson with his "pounding it into their skulls for decades in order to score political points without actually having to do anything." and his "arrogant hyperbole regarding Oakland County." attitude.

Jtf1972
Username: Jtf1972

Post Number: 77
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patterson has done more toward the decline of the entire area than he has ever even considered bragging about doing for Oakland County. What he never grasped is that without Detroit, Oakland County is nothing (much like Dearborn's leaders.)

Nobody wants to eat an apple with a rotten core. Every suburban leader should ponder that for a while, and do what they can to enhance Detroit rather than tear it down.

Wasn't Patterson one of Kilpatrick's greatest allies? I'm just saying...

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 5156
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With the Dems increasing their clout in Oakland County, I truly hope they field a strong candidate against LBP next time around. He continues to poison the intra city waters of metropolitan Detroit with his divisive code speak.

The county went 56-42 for Obama, nearly took control of the commission moving their number to 12 of 25, and captured Treasurer and Attorney.

But for now, we are stuck with him and the region will suffer as a result unless he changes his ways.

Reuel
Username: Reuel

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 1:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cobo is a corrupt cesspool.

The auto show won't be needing additional space any time soon given the economy.

Blowing hundreds of millions on an expanded Cobo makes no sense at this point.

Why does Ficano still push it? Ask yourself who benefits? Ficano's contractor buddies/donors.

Gnome

Post Number: 2108
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 1:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

exactly.

why spend a dime until the fate of The Joe is decided once and for all?

Millions wasted on another stop-gap solution.

Glowblue
Username: Glowblue

Post Number: 21
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The auto show won't be needing additional space any time soon given the economy.

Even if a renovation plan were approved tomorrow, it would be several years before it would be completed. Do you think the economy will be in recession for 3-4 years?

Novine

Post Number: 837
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 2:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Out here in the OC, everyone lauds L. Brooks Patterson for his wonderful job of making Oakland County an economic powerhouse. But can anyone name anything that he's done as head of OC that has contributed to the long-term viability of the County or has led to major economic development in the County? I'll give him credit for managing county government, not running up massive deficits and keeping the County tax rate at a reasonable level. But that's what any good government should do. The only reason he's praised for that is because of the poor performance by Wayne County and the City of Detroit. But beyond managing County government, what are his contributions to making the OC great or bettering the region as a whole?

Gnome

Post Number: 2118
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 5:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Automation alley
Bringing Chrysler Complex to Auburn Hills
Palace Complex
expansion of Oakland University
expansion of Oakland Community College
Gale Research campus
first LEED airport in the nation
expansion of Oakland County International Airport

jeeze Novine, I don't even like Brooks, but be come on, those projects are off the top of my head. Brooks has been good for OC, if Detroit and Wayne were smart, they'd complain a little less and copy a little more.

I think the one glaring failure of Brooks' is Pontiac, but I just don't know how you solve that mess. Pontiac is so corrupt, so regressive, so anti-small business that I'm amazed the stuff there is still there.

Novine, just because Brooks is a Republican, you seem blind to all the good he has done for his people. Expand your mind, the world is a wonderful place.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7939
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Robert Ficano can cheat on his wife. I'm sure he could cheat on the Cobo Hall expansion plan.

Word from the Street Prophet

You're out coming next election year Ficano!

Novine

Post Number: 838
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Novine, just because Brooks is a Republican, you seem blind to all the good he has done for his people. Expand your mind, the world is a wonderful place."

Gnome, I think you're reading more into my post than is there. I'm not a knee-jerk Patterson basher. But I think sometimes he gets too much credit for a record that doesn't reflect a lot of accomplishments outside of county government itself. Of all of the items that you listed, I think he can legitimately take credit for these:

Automation alley
Expansion of Oakland County International Airport

I can't really give him credit for having the "First LEED airport in the nation" since there's no such accreditation for airports. But since there is a commitment to build a "green" terminal, I'll give him half credit for that.

The rest of these either happened before Patterson took office in 1992 or were the responsibility of someone other that Patterson.

Bringing Chrysler Complex to Auburn Hills (pre-1992)
Palace Complex (pre-1992)
expansion of Oakland University (why does he get credit for that?)
expansion of Oakland Community College (why does he get credit for that?)
Gale Research campus (pre-1992)

Like most people, it seems like you are giving Patterson for items that didn't happen on his watch. Care to list some others?

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 767
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Even if a renovation plan were approved tomorrow, it would be several years before it would be completed. Do you think the economy will be in recession for 3-4 years?

No. First of all it is Detroit. Tack on 5 years to any construction estimate. That aside, by the time this comes to any fruition, we'll no longer be in a recession, it will be a depression. One or more of the Detroit 3 won't exist. There will be massive unemployment and virtually no local product to display.

NAIAS will be Chicago (lobbying hard to get it now) within 10 years as Detroit will become more irrelevant than it is now.

Gnome

Post Number: 2122
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not my list, but it seems to work for anyone who cares to google brooks patterson accomplishments

or maybe you like the Free Press's opinion:
http://www.freep.com/article/2 0081017/NEWS15/810170344/0/NEW S15

There is a lot of stuff out there for you to check out, but for me, Brooks has a personality that can chafe however he's been balancing his budgets for a long time while keeping taxes low.

https://treas-secure.state.mi. us/ptestimator/ptestimator.asp

Use this tax rate estimator to see how any city (save Pontiac) in OC stacks up against Wayne County.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 8140
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THIS is funny coming from that lardass:

Number 4 - Count Your Steps
Alarmed by the growing national epidemic of childhood obesity, Mr. Patterson launched his "Count Your Steps" pedometer walking in 2004.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 5241
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'll give him credit for managing county government, not running up massive deficits and keeping the County tax rate at a reasonable level. But that's what any good government should do. The only reason he's praised for that is because of the poor performance by Wayne County and the City of Detroit.

And mind you, Patterson's job is infinitely easier when the bulk of the poor, homeless, mentally ill, disabled, and unemployed, are taken care of by Detroit and Wayne County.

It's like getting the ball First and Goal on the 1, and then cheering over and over that you scored a touchdown. No shit.

Novine

Post Number: 839
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"not my list, but it seems to work for anyone who cares to google brooks patterson accomplishments"

OK, this is more like it. I think some of this is fluff (Casual Day program?) and I don't think Wireless Oakland is an accomplishment in anyone's book. From a regional perspective, I'll give him credit for Arts, Beats and Eats. I suppose the County does get some credit for the emerging sectors program. But I have to wonder how much of a role they've had in attracting those businesses? I follow those kinds of efforts in the business pages and you rarely hear of the OC having a role in attracting those projects. Maybe they do. But if they do, they aren't promoting that work like other agencies do.

"Use this tax rate estimator to see how any city (save Pontiac) in OC stacks up against Wayne County."

Why should Patterson get credit for that? He's not running local government in Oakland County. Should he be praised because Novi's the hot bed of retail and McMansions or that Troy has a diversified tax base? For the same reason, I don't hold him accountable for the mess that is Pontiac. But communities in Livingston and Macomb County have low tax rates too. Does Patterson get credit for those too?

Again, my point isn't to bash Brooks. He can take credit for those things that County government has done well. But from a regional perspective, his track record looks pretty weak and his contributions other than running good government at the county level look pretty thin.

As DaninDC said, Patterson comes to the table with all of the advantages. So why hasn't he leveraged that for the benefit of the region as a whole? For a guy who's been in charge for 16 years and had a seat at the head of the table of the meetings of the powers-that-be, where are the regional success stories that he should have been part of?

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7945
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He maybe a culturally baised bigot, but L.B. Patterson still maintains his principles. He's waiting for the right moment for most of the leader and city politicians to make their mind before he make his.

Word from Street Prophet

The People of OC had chosen Patterson. Brenda Lawrence needs to get inside the OC commission before she could run for OC Commissioner.

Gnome

Post Number: 2123
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dan, since you don't live in Oakland County or even in Michigan, I'm sure everyone will quantify your valuable insight in their full measure.

Not that you aren't fully informed to the daily lives of Oakland County residents; Dan, I'm sure you spend all your free time commuting between Washington DC and Oakland County, so your spot-on observations are highly regarded and certainly prized by all crackpots who can't resist in spouting off on subjects they don't understand.

However, as knowledge never seems to be an impediment for you, please continue to add to the discussion as those folks on that other site need more Danindc fodder.

Those poor uninformed folks in Oakland County did re-elect Brooks 365,981 to Brenda Lawrence's 262,255 despite the fact that they voted for Obama 373,260 to McCain's 277,492.

Of course, those people only live there, so they don't know as much as you.
2008 elections results

---
Edit: Novine, for more information on what OC can do for your business, you can check out:
http://www.oakgov.com/peds/

(Message edited by gnome on November 17, 2008)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.