Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Majority of American's Support Detroit Automaker Bailout « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2209
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 7:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Majority of American's Support Detroit Automaker Bailout

Link: http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20081114/A UTO01/811140430

Excerpt: A new poll released today says a majority of Americans back giving automakers a $25 billion federal bailout -- that's in contrast two earlier polls that said Americans were skeptical or opposed the action.

Sorry if this was posted. I did a search, and found nothing, but there a several long multi-page automaker threads right now, so it's possible I missed it somehow.

Also...

Bush supports $25 billion bailout plan, without fuel efficiency restrictions.

Link: http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20081114/A UTO01/811140425/&imw=Y

Be_in_va
Username: Be_in_va

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

umm...the market place says otherwise...

let them die....

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 159
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the Big 3 die, we will be a 3rd world country in 30 years and India and China will assume our role as the world's superpowers.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1870
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the Big Three can make it till Jan 21st when Obama takes control, there will be a bailout, but the question is can they make it till then. W seems to think the free market will take care of everything. He has not done anything but screw things up for 8 years, so why would he change that now.

Wykkidx
Username: Wykkidx

Post Number: 75
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would support the bailout under a condition, and that would be that the Big 3 CAN NOT take this money and open more plants overseas, they MUST retool American plants or Build American plants, not one cent see's overseas soil.
Also they would have to start cutting their salaries starting with the CEO and work their way down the ladder also NO bonuses.
I would hate to see this bailout as a golden parachute for the VP's and their people

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1806
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a link to a GM release about the bailout, with a link for people to write to Congress:

http://gmfactsandfiction.com/

Huggybear
Username: Huggybear

Post Number: 343
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If the Big 3 die, we will be a 3rd world country in 30 years and India and China will assume our role as the world's superpowers.

More like 5-10.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 467
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the Big 3 don't get a bailout/loan like Wall Street has, I suggest that we, the people of Michigan, secede from the Union! I wasn't in favor of any bailouts to begin with, but now it has become an issue of fairness. If the finance industry of Manhattan gets a bailout, then the auto industry of Detroit should!

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 286
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I may see the situation a bit too simply, but just buy the freaking cars. A bailout= taxpayers money and you have nothing in your garage to show for it.Buy the product itself and the Big Three survive, unemployment drops and tax revenues go up.like I said, I may see it a little too simply.

Russix
Username: Russix

Post Number: 152
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Retroit,
A new administration that is very favorable to Detroit's auto industry and American industry as a whole is coming very soon. Maybe something like shutting down a courthouse from processing bankruptcy actions until help arrives would be better. Besides with Detroit's and the Michigan's poor economy, they might just let us go!

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 476
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can we last until January 20th? Supposedly the President and the U.S. House are in favor of a loan/bailout for the Big3. The Senate begins debate tomorrow. This is life or death for Detroit (auto industry, city, region, state).

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2957
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I may see the situation a bit too simply, but just buy the freaking cars. A bailout= taxpayers money and you have nothing in your garage to show for it.Buy the product itself and the Big Three survive, unemployment drops and tax revenues go up.

The only problem with that is that most Americans can't afford to buy a car right now, regardless of whether it's from one of the Big 3 or one of the imports.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.