Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Regional Seal « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1622
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all,

So many people are sporting stickers on their cars, which advertise their local communities. I would like to design a regional sticker, which promotes metro Detroit. It is, after all, the region which will survive or fail in the global economy - not small municipalities. My questions to you are these: what should our regional sticker look like? what should it include? Your recommendations are appreciated!

Thanks,

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 631
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have one of these on the back window of my truck

http://www.modeldmedia.com/dev elopmentnews/stick51.aspx

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3665
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two bums warming their hands around a fire can, one saying, "At least we don't have to pay union dues!"

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1452
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have the same as Raptor56 on the back of my Chevy.

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 394
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Me too and proud of it on my Ford.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1623
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These are essentially Detroit city only stickers. There is no reference to the larger region. Shouldn't we work to develop a regional brand, including seal and flag, in our efforts to unite the area?

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3670
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A flag with a seal on it? Like this?

http://www.captnsplash.com/ima ges/otter_flag.gif

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1453
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We're one region that's called the Detroit region, 1953, not Royal North-Madi-Grosse-Tay-Troy.

And to boot, they were distributed by the Detroit Metro Convention and Visitors Bureau, a regional organization. They were handing them out as a regional promotion effort.

I got mine from their office after sitting on a committee talking about all the stuff they're doing as a region throughout the area, and that the rest of the known universe knows us as the Detroit region and fighting that is folly.

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 357
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's one.

Guideboat
Username: Guideboat

Post Number: 40
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have always been partial to this "Made in Detroit" design:

Made in Detroit

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 358
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DMA?

Mschievous
Username: Mschievous

Post Number: 309
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DTW?

Detroit_expat
Username: Detroit_expat

Post Number: 1288
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think a doughnut would be an appropriate symbol. With a sweet, fluffy outside and an empty center.

It is, after all, the region which will survive or fail in the global economy - not small municipalities.

I disagree. I used to think that what you say is true, but no longer. The edges of our "doughnut" are doing rather well, but the "hole" is not. It was the same back during flush times, and it's the same now in our diminished economy.

Perhaps those in the "hole" will contemplate why they find themselves there. (Why is there no retail? No investment? etc.). Or, maybe, they won't. I can't say.

But the time has passed to predicate the future of the Metro Detroit region on the fortunes of the City of Detroit.

The CoD, in this day and age, is less important than Sterling Heights or Ann Arbor. Hell, it's less vital than lowly Taylor (which has a viable tax base, proximity to the airport, and somewhat of a manufacturing base).

In the D proper, either it'll get better, or it won't. It's up to the residents, now. Money, prayers, community involvement, etc., have done nothing. Either way, we as a region have no choice but to continue to progress.

Hopefully and ideally, we succeed together with the City of Detroit. But we should plan to grow apart, and further apart from one another, if it continues to be necessary into the future.

Blessyouboys
Username: Blessyouboys

Post Number: 537
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sporting my DET sticker here in the Flagstaff, AZ. area - all of the cars here have an FLG. Enjoy the looks. Will have to order a new one though, the AZ sun is starting to peel it...

For me, Detroit stickers, or "seals", I think are more about keeping Detroit relevant and reminding everyone that yes, Detroit is still there.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1031
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit_expat=L. Brooks?

Detroit_expat
Username: Detroit_expat

Post Number: 1289
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, Bear. No L. Brooks, here. I'm not a fan, But, you know, some things are true even if he says them.

I'm just nearing 40, and making friends with reality, instead of how I wish things could be. Everyone and their Mother has tried to help Detroit. Nothing has worked.

To me, it's very plain that Detroit has to help Detroit. From within. The City has to want better, together. And work for it.

Until that happens, nothing will ever change.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 764
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As much as Detroit Metro would like to not be Detroit, it is. Ask anyone who doesn't live here. Just do a study and say Royal Oak or Troy and they will stare at you until you say Detroit, and then go OH! I proudly displayed by DET sticker on my car and when I get a replacement car I will have one again.

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 358
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why put those on when Europe long ago did away those stickers over there in an attempt to strip away the Detroit manufacturing base? Me? I got the Red Wings logo. It's cool. It's distinctive. And it's hard to confuse with anything else

Blessyouboys, I don't care if you're in Flag(train buff, obvsly) every 'zona car has to have a rubber Saguaro on the antenna)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.