Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Speed traps/Revenue enhancement « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Duke_sims
Username: Duke_sims

Post Number: 112
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20081117/M ETRO/811170333

Cops writing more tickets to enhance revenue. Who'da thunk it?

I like the quote from the cop at the end of the story: "We might was well just go door-to-door and tell people, 'Slide us $100 now, since your 16-year-old is going to end up paying us anyway when he starts driving.' You can't blame people for getting upset."

Lowereast
Username: Lowereast

Post Number: 27
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In Phoenix, they have speed cameras all over town on their expressways. I have heard of people getting upwards of 8 tickets over a length of a highway in the metro area and at $190 each!

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 626
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it just me, or has the story disappeared? I click the link, get a det news banner, but the rest of the page is blank :-(

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3880
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The link works for me, Raptor. Try the home page if nothing else www.detnews.com

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 632
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

tried it again about an hour later and it worked. prob just my laptop. thx

When you look at the map showing the number of tickets written per year, the comparison between cities is very interesting. You have a city like Dearborn Heights (not very big) in 2007 writing very close to as many tickets as ticket happy Warren, the 3rd/4th largest city (by population) in the State. And WOW, don't speed in Taylor! Second most tickets in the tri-county area (1st Detroit).

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 541
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is the end result of the 'free market', tax cut, neo-cons. Everything has it's price. If you ain't supporting it through your taxes, they're gonna git you somehow, someway. Pay up now!

Thames
Username: Thames

Post Number: 305
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just maintain the speed limit. I've been doing that since I started driving. I've never had a speeding ticket. No brainer.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 481
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last weekend, driving back from work, seen cops all over the place throughout Livonia, Westland, and The Heights, hiding in those types of places where you just take a quick glance, and know that "oy! they got me!" I just do speed limit, so no worrie's there. Too effin expensive those citations are.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 313
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting how it's western Wayne and near downriver where the trend has been especially visible. Romulus was one of the towns named in the article, and I've heard there've been complaints from visitors who've hit the freeway in their rented cars and immediately been ticketed by the Romulus police. Not very welcoming. OTOH, if it makes people slow down on the freakin' black ice, I have to welcome it.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 2899
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's all over town, no driver or area is immune.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.