Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Detroit Windsor Border Questions « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2224
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, what is the deal with needing a passport to drive to Windsor from Detroit? A friend is asking if they will need it for their trips on New Years Eve, as well as next Summer. Will you still only need a birth certificate?

They asked me about some sort of license card (I remember discussing this a long while ago, but don't know if it is happening).

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1450
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, you will need a passport - I don't know the status of the special ID card that meets homeland security requirements Terry Lynn Land was working on for the state with the feds. I'd like it to happen, because having it in one document would be convenient, but I'm getting my passport next month just in case.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1698
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At this point you do not need a passport. That rule is scheduled to go into effect in June. For trips over the holidays only proof of citizenship is required.

The new president could opt to modify the rule, so at this point you might consider everything up in the air for summer.

According to this press release the Feds and Michigan have agreed on the utility of the enhanced license for the purpose:

http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0, 1607,7-127--201573--,00.html

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 4006
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SOD - Have your friends look at travel.state.gov of contact the National Passport Info Center toll free at 1-877-487-2778 or e-mail at NPIC@state.gov. Reps are available M-F 6am-12 Midnight.

From what I understand there is a "passport lite" that one can apply for. You'll be issued a Passport Card instead of a Passport Book. It is about 1/2 the cost - it will NOT be valid for overseas travel; just our North American borders.

Now I did hear tell of an enhanced Michigan Driver's License - don't know if it is for sure yet. You'd have to check with the State.

Single_malt
Username: Single_malt

Post Number: 63
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, you can apply for a Passport card. My wife and I have one that we keep in our wallets, as my family lives in Tecumseh. We cross often, and with the Passport card it is so convenient to pull out of your wallet, rather than lugging the Passport book around. However, the card is only if you cross from the U.S. into a land boarder like Canada or Mexico. If you fly anywhere, you need the book.

The enhanced license won't be available for a few months. Like others said, today you need proof of citizenship. Who knows what tomorrow will bring.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 1140
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean: for the New Year's trip there is no need for passports.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 1175
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, you don't need a passport, but proof of citizenship IS required, not so much to get into Canada, but to get BACK into the U.S.A. In my part of Washington, we vote by mail. Last time we crossed the border Dora and I didn't have birth certificates with us, but happened to have our unopened ballots. That worked. Probably helped that I (as an elected official running for re-election) had my name on the ballot.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.