Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Requesting help for class project... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detmuscle
Username: Detmuscle

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone,
I have to do a presentation at the end of this semester on the automotive industry in the 1960's/70's and how the Domestic automakers responded to foreign competition and government regulation. Im having a little trouble finding information so if anybody knew any good internet sites it would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 499
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

google.com

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2136
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 2102
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

General Motors has this on-line history wiki that is a "work in progress", but you might find something helpful in there by searching/browsing through it.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3948
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yahoo.com also helps. :-)

Urbanfisherman
Username: Urbanfisherman

Post Number: 52
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go to the library.

Retroit

Post Number: 500
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detmuscle, in all seriousness, your instructor or you picked an awfully broad subject matter. Any chance you could be a bit more specific. How about:
1. Toyota in the US: The early years
2. The Oil Embargo of 1974 and its effect on car design/technology
3. The American auto-workers' resentment of foreign competition
4. How Ralph Nader changed GM
...etc.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9239
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detmuscle, get yourself a ticket to the Henry Ford, take a right when you walk in, and find the exhibit on the history of the automobile industry from its beginnings to today. Better than anything you'll find on the web.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3741
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi. I'm a student trying to write a paper. Can anybody recommend some sites to use? I'd go use a book or something, but how am I supposed to copy and paste from a piece of paper? Thanks in advance! :-)

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 3117
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try the Skillman library downtown Detroit.

From the Libraries website:
http://www.detroit.lib.mi.us/n ahc/index.htm

quote:

Description:
Located in the Rose and Robert Skillman Branch Library of the Detroit Public Library, the National Automotive History Collection (NAHC) is regarded as the nation's premier public automotive archive. The NAHC documents the history and development of the automobile and other forms of motorized, wheeled, land transportation in the United States and abroad.

Since the late nineteenth century, the Detroit Public Library has aggressively collected automotive print materials such as books, periodicals, advertising literature, photographs, specifications, service and owner's manuals, and personal and business papers. In recognition of this effort, the library established the NAHC as a collection in 1953.

The NAHC contains resources of over 600,000 processed items. Thousands of photographs which depict the automobile's historical, social, mechanical, and design aspects are available for public viewing, research, and publication. Automobile manuscript files contain more than 350,000 technical and descriptive items that illuminate the styling detail, specifications, and restoration of the automobile. Biographical files, personal papers, and business documents of both pioneers and corporate leaders offer insight into the development, industrial psychology, and economics of the automotive industry.

Rich in automotive fact and lore, international in scope, customers will agree that the NAHC offers unsurpassed resources and reference services.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 310
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They obviously didn't respond very well. As much as I hope they get over their present problems, they've had over 30 years to get their act together.
It's been like watching a crash in slow motion.

Retroit

Post Number: 505
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hated it when I was a student and my instructor asked me to write a paper on something I knew nothing about. How did they expect me to do anything other than plagiarize. Why couldn't I write a paper on something I had first-hand experience with, like family history, my neighborhood, my friends?

(As you can see, I was a handful for my teachers!)

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3742
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Retroit

Post Number: 506
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Exactly! Good grief!

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3734
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try "The Making and Selling of Cars" by Rubenstein or "The Machine That Changed the World" By Womack. Start there and investigate their sources.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 1162
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Retroit....ain't that the truth.
The more education "evolves"...the more it stays the same (and/or worsens).

Slick
Username: Slick

Post Number: 35
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

detroitnerd,

quote "copy and paste from a piece of paper"

that is not writing a paper. That is plagarism.
Your writing should reflect your opinions on what happenend to the subject matter.

If you cut and paste give credit to the author who you stole the material from.
my 2 cents.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3757
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Slick: Sorry I didn't add a "SATIRE" label. When you see I've posted something, a lot of the time I'm kidding. I thought that was so over-the-top people would know. (We DetroitYES! posters can be a sarcastic bunch!) But, yes, that's plagiarism! And plagiarism is wrong!

Want to learn more about plagiarism? Why not visit your local library! :-)

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 2022
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Slick the subtle sarcasm is lost on you. Didn't you notice the smiley face?

Newport1128
Username: Newport1128

Post Number: 246
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitplanner,
Try googling Dodge Colt, Plymouth Cricket, Chevrolet Vega, Ford Pinto. The first two were actually foreign-made cars (Japan and England, respectively) which Chrysler imported and re-badged to combat the imports. The Colt was made by Mitsubishi and the Cricket was a Hillman Avenger. The Vega and Pinto were U.S.-made import fighters.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 1163
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Newport1128...don't forget AMC's totally-awesome Gremlin & Pacer.

The Dodge Dart was economy car from the 1960s; little bastard got dang-near 30 mpg on the freeway

Raggedclaws
Username: Raggedclaws

Post Number: 291
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Automotive Hall of Fame in Dearborn, right next door to the Henry Ford.

http://automotivehalloffame.or g

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 869
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, as I recall they introduced the Datsun B210 and so we were pissed so we figured we'd out run 'em so we introduced the Cobra, Camaro, Barracuda, Challenger, Charger, Trans-am, Firebird and Duster. Yet somehow they still passed us, so we gave up on cars and started building trucks. To counter gov't regulation we hired a lot of lawyers to pay lawsuits. That's pretty much how I remember it. Oh yeah, now it's time to build cars again so we just went to Washington to ask for a loan. That part is still up in the air.

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 225
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take a look at the amusing and oh, so true, Volkswagen commercials of the late 1960's. Advertising does make it happen. Of course, those commercials about the value and frugality of the VW never did mention that one needed an ice scrapper in the winter to remove the ice that built up on the inside of the windshield.

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 227
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detmuscle...and by the way....Turn on....Tune In....Drop Out....

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.