Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Neighborhood vendors and collectors « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2747
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I woke up this morning thinking about the rag man. That made me remember him and the other vendors/collectors that used to roam our neighborhoods. They would go through the neighborhoods, calling out their trade as they passed. Does anyone else remember?

We had the rag man, who collected old clothes and rags. In my grandma's neighborhood, there was the scrap man. He had a horsedrawn cart that he would fill up with scrap metal and lumber and newspapers. We had a tinker, too, who pushed a handcart with a big grinding wheel. He would sharpen knives, lawn mower blades and tools, and fix pots and pans.

Scs_scooter
Username: Scs_scooter

Post Number: 118
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the guy walking down the street, ringing a bell announcing that he sharpened knives. My Mom would always take out her favorite paring knife for him to sharpen. Funny how you remember crazy things like that. For crying out loud, that had to be over 40 years ago and I can't remember what I had for dinner last night!

Slipkid
Username: Slipkid

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not quite as arcane, but the milkman (we had a milkchute and got the milk in glass half gallons....until I dropped one) and the Good Humor man, he used to be outside Cooke Elementary in Rosedale Park.

I got yelled at for erasing parts of the chalk-like lettering he put on the side of his truck (cottage cheese on sale, etc.).

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 4802
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget the Awrey man, the fruit guy and Mr. Softee, the ice cream man.
We used to climb in the milkman's truck and 'steal' ice when it was hot out. We really thought we were getting away with something

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2749
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I really miss the Awrey man, and the fruit guy, "Nice fresh strawberries, three quarts for a dollar!"

I just remembered another collection guy, the Parke-Davis man. He would go down the street in his Parke-Davis truck and pick up jugs of urine saved by pregnant ladies. I think they used it in some test or other. You could find out which ladies in the neighborhood were pregnant before it became obvious. I think they paid something like 50 cents for a quart jug. Of course, back then, 50 cents would buy a couple of quarts of milk, or loaves of bread, maybe a pound of butter.

Jcole

Post Number: 4806
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The thought of the Awrey's Long John Coffee Cake still makes my mouth water

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2426
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our John Hancock insurance agent used to stop by every couple of weeks to pick up their premiums. I think policies back then were sold on a weekly premium basis.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 969
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In our neighborhood was the knife sharpening man, the Twin Pines Dairy man, and Sam, the egg man.

Jcole

Post Number: 4807
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'I am the eggman, I am the Walrus, coo coo catchu'

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 970
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of Awreys, I remember a cake they used to make with nuts up the side and yellow butter cream frosting... Yummy. Not as good as Heinrich's Bakery, but it was a treat!

Maof2
Username: Maof2

Post Number: 1122
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dad was a fruit truck man. This was before I was born. Always worked hard to support his wife and four girls. Love and miss him.

I remember the knife man too. He always scared me.

Heard Awrey's is going out of business. Our Kroger store is selling Awrey products 1/2 off right now. My kids love the "windmill" cookies so i bought a boat load of 'em.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 9688
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Odd, you brought this up.

Walking home the other day, I noticed the Calder Dairy milkman making his delivery to a home and started thinking about about all of those old-time door-to-door "professions" of my youth.

With today's job market, we might see those guys again.

Personally, I'd like to get a pony and go door-to-door photographing kids on its back for a couple of bucks.

Girlygirl
Username: Girlygirl

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG, what memories.........The Long John Coffee cake. The nuts and the thick white icing....umm. My grandmother always had one of those, and the Almond Tea Ring on hand for the weekly family get togethers. And, my grandfather was out in the converted chicken coop serving up homemade wine to all the guys. Wonderful childhood memories.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 487
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My life was saved by a passing milkman who noticed smoke pouring out a bedroom window of the house I was in. It was in all three newspapers. July 4, 1952, I was 6 months old.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 1324
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My father bought those Long John Coffee Cakes that us kids would have with milk, yummm!!

Another Awreys? treat that I remember was called Spanish Bar Cake (or something similar) it had white icing and was two layers with chocolate and raisins in it.

Some "vendors" I remember was groups of us kids singing Christmas carols after Thanksgiving going door to door in the neighborhoods on snowy evenings, hoping for pop and candy money donations or perhaps a cup of hot chocolate in return for our "singing" talents.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3907
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember 'em all. And how about the Jewel Tea Man? Besides tea, I think he sold kitchen wares and stuff.

And Grandma had an ice box. A REAL ice box. The ice man came every (other?) day and put a block of ice in it, and Grandma constantly dumped the melted result from a tray on the bottom. Me 'n the gang always raided the back of the ice truck for chips of ice in the summer. No treat was better!

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 714
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had the knife sharpening guy come around 7 Mile and Gratiot as late as the mid-80's. He seemed ancient at the time and my parents said he looked the same as when they were kids.

There were a few older women on our street who still had the Twin Pines Man come by every morning.

Flanders_field

Post Number: 1325
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

And Grandma had an ice box. A REAL ice box

I still have my late grandmother's old wooden icebox that my late father stripped the paint from and refinished. I use it as a liquor cabinet, and also store shot glasses, tumblers, and champagne/wine glasses in it. The icebox is very heavy, it must weigh around 150 lbs.

Maof2

Post Number: 1123
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

flanders - that is so cool. what a treasure.

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 340
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone else remember when Sander's had delivery men?

Girlygirl
Username: Girlygirl

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I remember Sanders had delivery men too. I use to wait for my mother to get those date and nut bars, yummm, with a cold glass of milk. I was 6 or so at the time, born in 1954, so I remember them from back in the 60's. I also remember my mother hiding those date and nut bars as I would have rather ate one of those than my dinner at times.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 4076
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah Ray - the Jewel Tea Man. Now he came to my grandma's house in Virginia. That's where she got her complete set of dishes from. Jewel Tea did sell all kinds of housewares.

The knife sharpening guy would come to grandma's regular. She would not only pay him to sharpen her knives, but he'd get one of her homemade biscuits with homemade strawberry jam if he agreed to sharpen the scissors at no charge.

One of my uncles used to sell life insurance policies and go door to door picking up the premiums.

I remember the sheeny man in our Detroit neighborhood. He had a horse drawn wooden buggy and he'd go down the alley picking up whatever broken appliances or stuff that was there.

We had a Borden's milkman, and in nice weather there was the produce truck that would come around. Mom would give me 50 cents to get some of the fruits he was selling.

Anyone ever sell boxes of Christmas cards in order to make some cash for buying your own Christmas presents? I remember going around door to door with a sampler folder of all the cards the company sold. You could order the cards engraved. Our neighbors always ordered their cards from me. That was a lot of fun - like running my own business.

Oh yeah! I almost forgot - while we're on the Awrey's subject - anyone remember their German Chocolate Cake? That was their BEST cake - IMO The 2 layer one, not that little 8 inch flat cake. Wish I had their recipe for it.

(Message edited by eriedearie on November 25, 2008)

Detroit_uke
Username: Detroit_uke

Post Number: 34
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow - talk about a blast to the past. I remember the Fuller Brush Man, the Sealtest milk man, the sheeny man - knife sharpening - collecting aluminum, string, etc. Would sharpen the lawnmower blades. The little Good Humor bicycles with their bells, the fruit truck and at least once every summer - the truck loaded with chairs and benches. For school fundraisers we would sell door to door - candy, jewelry, religious statues...arghhhhhhhhhhh.

Luckycar
Username: Luckycar

Post Number: 124
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My grandfather was an Eastside sheeny man.Complete with horse and wagon.Dad was a scrap peddler,east and west side.Sold his "stuff",on the southwest side.No horses by then,trucks going down the alley.

Huggybear
Username: Huggybear

Post Number: 345
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A "sheeny man" is a derogatory term for a Jewish person - maybe you already knew that, but if you didn't, verb. sap. sat.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2753
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We always called him the Scrap man. I never heard the other term. Maybe it depended on the neighborhood. Come to think of it, my grandparents lived just north of Boston-Edison in a substantially Jewish area at the time, so maybe that's why their guy was a scrap man.

Flanders_field

Post Number: 1326
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the NE side in Detroit during the winter in the 70s, there was a seasonal sidewalk snow clearing service available, their clients' were IDed with a 5' gray metal post in the ground with a piece of red reflective tape wrapped around the top. Their sidewalks were cleared by a jeep with a snowbrush roller attached to the front.

We kids in the neighborhoods would hitch or "shag" rides behind them, jumping on the bumper when the drivers lowered the brush to clear snow. Sometimes the drivers would stop and chase us away, but many let us have our fun, although there was a danger of one or more of us getting injured, especially on the sidewalk slabs that were lifted and/or broken by tree roots.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 488
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Georgia Peaches, get yer tasty tasty Georgia Peaches here!" ten second pause "STRAWberries! Made in Michigan sweet, succulent STRAWberries! 45 cents a grab, get 'em while you can." ten second pause "Ladies... I got Blueberries! Blueberries so blue they'll make ya wish ya was back home in the blueberry patch." ten second pause "Peaches! Peaches peaches peaches! Get yer..." yep.

Luckycar
Username: Luckycar

Post Number: 125
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 7:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes I know the the history of the term sheeny man,Huggybear.We're talking the the non-PC 1920s,so today he would have been the rag man or scrap dealer.

Turkeycall
Username: Turkeycall

Post Number: 82
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those were the days. On Farmbrook we had milk delivered by Scweitzer's [which became Wilson's], Bulletmagnet's milk was delivered by Borden's, another neighbor down toward Chandler Park Drive has Twin Pines. Our neighbor two doors down had Rosebud.

Someone mentioned the photographer with the pony. I've got a picture stashed away someplace of my sister and me on a pony in front of our house. It was taken sometime between 1955 and 1957.

There was also a Stanley Home Products guy who used to come around the neighborhood.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2754
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, the pony man! I think he went everywhere. We all got our pictures taken in little western outfits on the pony in Brightmoor. I look terrified.

Jcole

Post Number: 4814
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was it Stanley or Fuller Brush? We had the Fuller Brush man.

Maof2

Post Number: 1125
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sorry, it's not awrey's going out of business, it's archway.

j - we had the fuller brush man too. hear their still in business

Jcole

Post Number: 4817
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mao, they have an Outlet up in Maine that I was at a few years ago. They still make the best hairbrushes in the world.

Detroitbred
Username: Detroitbred

Post Number: 171
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Growing up in the D, my neighbor drove an Awrey's truck and delivered to other neighborhoods. He eventually worked his way up through the ranks at Awrey's to become the first president of the company that was not a family member. He is gone now but those were goods ol' days. I make a stop at the Awrey's thrift store a couple times a month. My husband loves Long John coffee cakes, and we both love the date nut bars! I also remember the knife man, the pony / picture man, milk man, etc.

Detroitbred

Post Number: 172
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember the Fuller Brush Man? And my elementary gym teacher use to sell vacuum cleaners door to door in the summer.

Detroitbred

Post Number: 173
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, just read you already mentioned the brush guy!

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 321
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is interesting, I've never seen any of this stuff (I'm 29). It kind of reminds me of a guy in my neighborhood who gathers the unclaimed pizzas and salads at Jet's about 20 minutes before they close and sells them to all the drunks in the nearby bars. He provides a great service to the community.

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 972
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to dig up the photo of my Mom and her siblings. The youngest is seated on a pony, with the other kids standing around. There were 18 children in my mother's family. But only five or so in the photo...

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3008
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

18 kids ? Must have been an Irish Catholic family.

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 975
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Catholic, but not Irish... ;-)

Ct_alum
Username: Ct_alum

Post Number: 30
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember Sealtest milk trucks and Mr. Softee on Ashland in the 60's, also the fruit vendors. Side note: One of my drafting teachers at Cass Tech (69-71) was E Ross Awrey.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.