Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Huge news on the Southside - Meet Stéphane Dion « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 5182
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Huge news eh? It appears the Stephen Harper's move to consolidate his minority government Prime Ministership of Canada has blown up in his face. Three minority majority parties, including most importantly the Bloc Quebecois, have cut a deal and are backing Stéphane Dion, leader of the liberals, for Prime Minister.

This has to be almost gleeful for Stéphane Dion who was ridiculed for his flawed English and seemingly headed into political oblivion following the losses of his party in the last election. Suddenly he is on the doorstep.

Now I know a lot of northsiders may be oblivious ot this, but if you are a political junkie at all you know this is a huge and extremely rare political event.

So to the our friends on the southside I ask, "Whaddup?"

Good or bad for Windsor ergo Detroit? Since Windsor is NDP and NDP gets five portfolio is this good for Windsor?

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14837
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This reminds me of the first time I ever heard a Cricket score on the BBC.

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 258
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reminds me of this:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/3816 9/late-night-with-conan-obrien -federal-assumption-of-debt-sm all-talk-moment-10708

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6478
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought Stéphane Dion had resigned? To be honest, I do wonder how long this is going to last, and particularly if Dion is at the head of this restructured coalition. It'd have probably have been best to wait until everything had settled down and the left to have rebuilt itself for this to have happened. This all sounds a bit rushed.

What are the polls on this? Obviously they must have polled this to think it was a good idea to topple a freshly-reelected Conservative government. I don't know; I'm skeptical to say the least.

Lowell

Post Number: 5184
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dion was down and out, headed out the door, his own party coming at him with daggers and all. Now he's all smiles. This seems to be all Stephen Harper's doing. He thought he was slick in calling the Oct. election and then announces he was going to cut funding to the opposition parties and made himself, never very popular to start with, the issue. Final straw.

The only remotely similar thing we could experience would be where a presidential candidate won a large number of the electoral votes, but not a majority, which was in hands of three parties who hated the winner so much they swallowed their own extreme differences and voted for a candidate who only won 25% of the vote.

What is going on is largely unprecedented.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7571
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was watching the Canadian Channel 32 (TVO) today, and they were discussing the problem of just how long a coalition minority government will stay in power... especially with the whims of the Party Quebecois?

One option that was discussed (and hasn't been invoked since the early 20th century) was for Stephen Harper to ask Canada's Governor General Michaelle Jean (appointed by Queen Elizabeth) to dissolve parliament and thus call for new elections. From a historical perspective this is highly unlikely, but not unprecedented. If so, this would be the 4th parliamentary elections in 4 years... a bit much a lot of Canadians believe.

I was just reading up on the Canadian parliamentary system, and was surprised to find that the Governor General is not only the queens representative of the Crown in Canada, but also the "Commander-in-Chief" of Canada's armed forces. (Although this is a figure head position.)

Also what was discussed on the show was that the fact that minority parties in a coalition government historically fare very poorly in subsequent Canadian elections.

It's interesting that just like Queen Elizabeth can dissolve the British Parliament, the Governor General of Canada can do the same there.

Here's some interesting facts about the Canadian office of Governor General:
http://www.gg.ca/gg/rr/index_e .asp

Lowell

Post Number: 5186
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And, interestingly, Michaëlle Jean is a Haitian who came to Canada when she was 11. Now she thrust to the front in this most curious situation. Quite a year for two descendants of Africa.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 321
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also interesting is that the Governor General is not Canadian by birth but Haitian. She seems unlikely to be terribly sympathetic to Stephen Harper.

I personally like Stéphane Dion, whose global warming proposals have been the most detailed of those advanced by any leader in a Western democracy. However, he's playing with fire; the presence of the Quebec separatists in the coalition is sheer craziness. And whoever gets the government now could end up with the blame for the worst of the recession. Anything could happen, including Harper eventually coming back stronger than before if the coalition does indeed go through.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 2111
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They're baaaack! It appears that the Liberal Party of Canada, the party of the brainiacs who came up with "AdScam", have foisted yet another scam on the Canadian electorate.

three stooges
The Three Stooges of "CoupScam"

So much for all that NDP and Bloc Québécois fiery rhetoric in 2006 about corruption in the Liberal Party of Canada.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6821
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is the situation in a nutshell:

The Harper government just made a move and it blew up. The next step is a vote of "confidence" in the house.

The opposition parties will propose a bill in the house stating that they have lost confidence in the ability of the Conservatives to govern.

This is called a motion of No Confidence.

Five times in Canadian history the house has fallen in a confidence vote.

Arthur Meighen (1926)
John Diefenbaker (1963)
Pierre Trudeau (1974)
Joe Clark (1979)
Paul Martin (2005)

Trudeau lost a motion of confidence when he failed to pass the 1974 budget. However, it was later revealed that this was done purposely by Prime Minister Trudeau in a successful attempt to win a majority government. This is the only time the tactic has been used in federal Canadian politics, but it established a precedent. Such a tactic is now called "engineering the defeat of one's own government", and the practice is widely frowned upon.

While Meighen, Diefenbaker and Trudeau were toppled by loss of supply, and Joe Clark was defeated by the passage of a subamendment to a budget bill that read "that this House has lost confidence in the government," only Paul Martin lost an actual motion of no confidence put forward by the opposition parties.

That vote is due to take place on December 8th. Tune in to CBC if you can, it will likely be carried live as breaking news.

There are three possible scenarios:

Prior to the vote, the PM Steven Harper could ask the Governor General to prorogue parliament, and suspend the parliament until the new year. This is a stalling tactic, and would prevent the vote from taking place. The constitution of Canada only says that the house of commons only has to sit once a year (which it has). Proroguing it would delay the vote until the new year.

However it would be seen as a cowardly act, and a desperate ploy to cling to power by the Conservative party. Plus the risk exists that the G.G. could refuse the request.

The second scenario is after losing the vote of confidence, the G.G. could dissolve parliament, and call for a new election, less than 8 weeks after our last one. This is what would normally happen, however...

The third and most likely scenario is one where the opposition parties are invited by the G.G. to form the government. This is very rare, and has only ever happened once before in Canadian history and it caused an uproar.

It occurred in 1926, and is known as the King-Byng affair.

quote:

In September 1925, King requested a dissolution of Parliament to call an election, which Lord Byng granted. In the election the Conservative Party won 116 seats to 99 for King's Liberals. Counting on the support of the Progressive Party (which had 24 seats) to overcome the Conservative plurality, King did not resign and remained in office with the support of Progressive Party, as a minority government. Strictly speaking, this was not a coalition government, as the Progressives were not given any cabinet seats and were thus not a part of the government.

A few months later, one of King's appointees in the Department of Customs and Excise was revealed to have taken bribes. The Conservatives alleged that the corruption extended to the highest levels of government, including the Prime Minister. King fired the Minister of Customs, Jacques Bureau, but promptly recommended that Byng appoint him to the Senate, creating even more dismay among the members of the Progressive Party, who had already been withdrawing their support from the Liberal government.

Having already lost two previous votes on questions of procedure and afraid of losing a third on a question of government corruption, King went to Byng seeking a dissolution of Parliament. Byng used his reserve power to refuse the request. He argued that the Conservatives, as the biggest single party in Parliament, should have a chance to form a government before he could call an election. Byng was also wary of dissolving Parliament while the Commons was debating a motion of censure: such a dissolution could be seen as the Crown interfering with the Commons' freedom of speech. King requested that before any decision was made, Byng consult the British government. Byng again refused, saying the matter should be settled in Canada without resort to London.

The next day, King presented Byng with an Order-in-Council seeking the dissolution of Parliament, which Byng refused to sign. Believing that he no longer had enough support to stay in office, King resigned (convention requires a prime minister to either drop the writ or resign when he loses the support of the House of Commons). Byng then invited Conservative leader Arthur Meighen, who had been Prime Minister from 1920 to 1921, to form a government. Meighen did so, but made his ministers only "acting" ones; they were not sworn into office because the government still had to win a confidence vote in the House of Commons and under the laws of the time new ministers would have to seek re-election. The Liberals were furious, and were able to get the Progressives to join them in a drive to bring down the government. This was successful, and Meighen was denied confidence by only one vote. Meighen requested a dissolution of Parliament, which was granted by Byng, and an election was called.

If the Liberal/NDP coalition happens, this would be the first ever coalition government in Canadian history.

While at heart I am a Conservative supporter, I hate Steven Harper, and haven't voted Conservative since he's been leader. There was a political satire magazine in Canada called Frank (that just recently folded), they called Harper - "President Steven W. Harper".

I would be very surprised if the coalition happens that NDP Joe Comartin of Windsor doesn't end up with a cabinet post.

Either way, if you are a political junkie stay tuned. What ever happens over the next few weeks will end up in the history books...

Aiw

Post Number: 6822
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looking at the results of the last election, the Conservatives won 143 of 301 seats. They received 37.6% of the vote. The Liberals & NDP combined won 113 seats, but garnered 44.4% of the vote. With the 50 Bloc Québecois seats the coalition would have 163 seats. The BQ would remain the wild card. They could pull their support at anytime, and topple the house of cards.

In the news the G.G. is on her way back from a European Trip:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story /2008/12/02/gg-return.html?ref =rss

quote:

Gov. Gen. Michaëlle Jean is returning home early from a state visit to Europe to deal with the upheaval on Parliament Hill, where she could decide the fate of the government in the next week.

She was originally scheduled to wrap up a two-week visit to Slovakia, the Czech Republic, Slovenia and Hungary on Saturday, but will now return to Ottawa three days early on Wednesday.

"I have decided to return to Canada and I'll leave tomorrow," Jean told CBC News Tuesday in Prague.

"The role of the Governor General is to ensure that our governance is on the right path, so as soon as I'm back I will fulfill my duties in total sound judgment."

Though the position of governor general is largely ceremonial, representing Queen Elizabeth II as head of state, it also comes with some extraordinary powers.

In the current case, Jean must decide whether to call an election should the Conservatives lose next Monday's vote of confidence, allow the proposed Liberal-NDP coalition to govern or allow the Harper government to suspend the current parliamentary session to avoid a political showdown.

On Monday, the Liberals and New Democrats inked a deal to form an unprecedented coalition government if they succeed in ousting the minority Conservative government.

The Governor General called the process a "part of our democratic system" but said it "requires a lot of attention."

The CBC also has a coalition FAQ online...

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story /2008/11/28/f-faq-coalition.ht ml

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 883
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Having the Bloc, whose goal is to have Quebec separate from Canada, form part of the ruling gov't would be the ultimate joke. Maybe it would be enough to push a rich conservative province like Alberta to have their own referendum on separation.
Either way, Windsor, like Detroit, is so far in the economic crapper right now that none of this is going to have much effect on it for the next few years.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 657
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and you folks think US politics are screwy?? You have an unelected official with the power to change the balance of power, and a fractured system of political parties that can't seem to compromise.

Lowell

Post Number: 5188
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, ^ but Cromartin in the Cabinet can't hurt. Every scrap counts.

Thanks for all the great details AIW.

The BQ is definitely the x-factor. In someways perhaps there is a glimmer of hope that a taste of power will cause them to shy away from their total separation tendencies and perhaps become a part of Canada.

As long as the remaining left is split among the liberals, NDP and greens with the conservatives left as the greatest of the lessers, the BQ holds the cards. After all even Harper flirted with them. If the nationalist issue did not exist they would fall solidly on the left side; so it is not surprising that, on most issues, they would be agreeable with the liberals and NDP. This could work.

Nonetheless, Dion's resurrection has to be the greatest since Lazarus. Meanwhile, the look on Harper's face is to die for - something between crying and vomiting. It all makes for great viewing and exciting politics. Tune in to the National at 10 on 9.

Lowell

Post Number: 5189
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

and you folks think US politics are screwy?? You have an unelected official with the power to change the balance of power, and a fractured system of political parties that can't seem to compromise.

You mean like George Bush in 2000? :-)

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 706
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You do realize you are talking about Canadian politics and not beer aye?

Lmichigan

Post Number: 6485
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know what you love so much about Dion, Lowell. Harper may be a dick, but putting Dion at the head of the new coalition just seems to be asking for a short-term coalition and the return of Harper. In theory, the coalition looks nice, but from what I've been able to tell their message still seems to be little more than that "we're not the Conservatives". How long they can sustain that remains to be seen. I really hope that I'm wrong.

Walkerpub
Username: Walkerpub

Post Number: 216
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Concerning the Tories:

If Harper had won a majority we wouldn't be having the conversation.

I say: "Off with their heads!"

Aiw

Post Number: 6823
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The best thing about the Bloc holding the balance of power is that it will likely cause the restoration of funding for the arts.

Harper's chop of arts funding turned off many Québec voters, and caused them to vote BQ versus Conservative. His miscalculated backlash over arts funding cost him a majority.

The BQ would insist that it is restored.

Aiw

Post Number: 6824
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For reference:

quote:

September 24, 2008

Prime Minister Stephen Harper has sparked a culture war in the federal election campaign with a claim that "ordinary people" don't care about arts funding.

Under fire for his government's $45 million in cuts to arts and culture funding, the Conservative leader yesterday said average Canadians have no sympathy for "rich" artists who gather at galas to whine about their grants.

"I think when ordinary working people come home, turn on the TV and see a gala of a bunch of people at, you know, a rich gala all subsidized by taxpayers claiming their subsidies aren't high enough, when they know those subsidies have actually gone up – I'm not sure that's something that resonates with ordinary people," Harper said in Saskatoon, where he was campaigning for the Oct. 14 election.

Liberal Leader Stéphane Dion and NDP Leader Jack Layton accused their Conservative rival of treating arts and culture with contempt.

Dion said the Conservatives are ideologically attacking the arts.

http://www.thestar.com/Federal Election/article/504811

Walkerpub

Post Number: 217
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good backgrounder for our US friends concerning this so-called "coup"

http://www.windsorstar.com/cou p+dean+says/1023853/story.html

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10566
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Legally they are allowed to do this but the only confidence issue is that the parties still wanted to use taxpayers dollars to support their endeavours (to which I think is putrid). The Conservatives caved on this idea so why are these idiots continuing on? NOTHING MORE THAN A POWER GRAB!

This is nothing short of a coup but doing it by legal means especially when an election was only called 6 weeks back! The CANADIAN PEOPLE decided they wanted another minority Conservative gov't (to which they gained even more seats than previously held)and that is what they got.

What is even more galling is the fact they are using a traitor to help their cause, Giles Duceppe. Don't think for a moment this isn't cost us big not only in terms of money but in terms of an unbalanced country.

The sad thing is that the liberals have this odd sense of liberal gov't only mentality. They have had power for more 60% of the entire 20th century. I guess absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Layton is nothing but a greasy used car salesmen who would sell his mother's soul for a taste of power, Dion a lame-duck no confidence "leader" and Duceppe the traitor...gee, nice "coalition".

To add insult to injury just we are going through the worst economic crisis since WWII they pull this stunt. This is the time to show confidence and strength not tear a country apart! Besides, both left leaning parties (NDP liberal) believe that HIGHER corporate taxes are the answer! Imagine that in this fragile economy? We are fucked!

This just shows nothing but disdain for the election process, for the taxpaying public and for all voters regardless of who you voted for. What a waste of $300 million!

Well if they can revolt, so should the citizens and not allow this to happen. If this so-called coalition thinks they are the answer then let's go to the polls again and let the voters decide, yet again who should be in power.

This is nothing more than 2nd world politics without the guns.

Lowell

Post Number: 5192
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LMich, I don't "love" or hate Dion, I am quite neutral toward him. If I were Candadian I would probably vote NDP even if I am not overly fond of Jack Layton.

What I do love is this story, being the political junkie that I am, because it is one of historic and, from yesterday's session in Parliament, hysteric proportions. It also has Greek drama aspect in that it has centered around the pride and arrogance of Stephen Harper.

Walkerpub hit the nail on the head. If Harper had won a majority we wouldn't be having this conversation. I would even venture to say that if his party had even topped 40% we might not be having this conversation.

To think two sub 40% wins gives him a mandate to walk over the other 60% points out his personal flaws. Whining that someone with 25% will be PM when you only have 38% yourself is a pot meet kettle. I can't wait for the knives to come out for him in the Conservative party for blowing this one.

Raptor56

Post Number: 662
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Watched The National last night for a bit. Seems rather ironic that Dion the Separatist was speaking of bringing Canadians together. Amazing the change of heart that happens when all of a sudden you have the potential to take power...

Raptor56

Post Number: 663
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also find it interesting that all these shinanigans going on just over the border are not being covered by Fox News or CNN. Nothing on either site's front page

Goat

Post Number: 10569
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, that is Canadian politics and percentages don't mean anything. I don't know why people bring it up. What DOES matter is the number of seats. Debate parliamentary systems all you like but this has nothing to do with what is happening and that is the utter contempt these ego-filled assholes have for the electorate.

The NDP won't even answer their phone today...NONE OF THEM! They are nothing but cowards! If they really cared they would at least wait for the budget to be tabled on Jan .27/09, then if the people don't like it they can topple the gov't. Until then I will call it what it is, a power grab by the entitled-minded liberals with Jack orchestrating the demise of Canada utilizing a traitorous BQ party.

(I still think it is disgusting that taxpayers pay for 80% of the opposition's money. Nothing like using taxpayers dollars to fund a separatist's agenda. I guess that is o.k. in Jack Layton's and your own book, but not mine!)

Walkerpub

Post Number: 218
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goat- nice try concerning the number of seats, but the bottom line is that Harper pulled the trigger, called a very cynical election when one wasn't needed (to the tune of $300,000,000) and thought he could achieve a majority of seats but didn't quite make the mark- can anyone say "Al Gore?"

Aiw

Post Number: 6825
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harper is to address the nation tonight at 7:00 pm.

Get your rabbit ears out to tune into CBC or watch it live streaming online, on CPAC (Canadian version of C-SPAN)

http://www.cpac.ca

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7578
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So Harper cut Arts funding... sounds like another John Engler to me... :-(

Aiw

Post Number: 6826
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AM800 CKLW has announced that they will carry Harper's address live at 7:00 pm. You can tune in that way if so inclined as well.

Goat

Post Number: 10572
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll bite Walkerpub. O.k $300 mill was spent but what an even bigger waste to now throw that election in the toilet.
Personally I am glad they still have a minority (I am in the same boat as AIW) and not the majority but had it come down to this BS I would rather a Conservative majority than the crap I am seeing now.

Walkerpub

Post Number: 219
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I liked the last minority government much better- seemed like lots was accomplished with checks and balances on all sides- this one is a little wackier but also there is much testosterone involved...

Lmichigan

Post Number: 6488
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goat, you kind of lose your credibility when you go total drama queen on the issue with all of the all-caps type and referring to your fellow countryman as a "traitor". That has all of the venom attached to calling someone "un-American" down in these parts. It's really sad, because I think one can oppose this coalition without having to go bat-shit crazy and dropping some serious rhetorical bombs and charges.

Lowell

Post Number: 5194
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whaaat? Goat get animated? Never.

I wonder if the end result will be the conservatives rule but Harper gets tossed over.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1479
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 7:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So does this mean that Dion gives up her singing career?

Aiw

Post Number: 6827
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 7:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I wonder if the end result will be the conservatives rule but Harper gets tossed over.

That's one scenario I've heard. Harper asks the Gov. General to suspend parliament today at 9:30 am, and she complies. Harper (who is responsible for this mess) steps down, and a new leader takes over the party and becomes interim PM.

Industry minister Jim Prentice's name has been tossed about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J im_Prentice

http://conservativesforprentic e.blogspot.com/2008/11/welcome -to-conservatives-for-prentice .html

Either way, if Harper is tossed aside, I could be persuaded to vote Conservative again.

Goat

Post Number: 10577
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too have heard teh same thing. I think it would be great if Harper was tossed. Some pundits think Peter MacKay would then lead the Conservatives which I don't mind at all. Prentice wouldn't be a bad choice either.

LMichigan. What drama? This to me is disgusting that these people would make backroom deals with a separatist party who's only goal is to separate from Canada by whatever means necessary. Dion, the architect of the much hated Clarity Act must be giving something to the BQ to court their vote? But that is one slippery slope to be dancing near. As for Layton he was already delaing with the BQ before the election to try and trigger this. Tell me I am wrong or being over dramatic? These are facts. When a person goes to bed with a party that wants to split Canada apart (which is a party that is a traitor to the nation that give it their funding) then that person is a traitor as well.

One of the biggest reasons I am pissed is because the NDP orechstrated this and then coulnd't and won't fact the electorate. Instead they ingore those who try and call. I only call it as I see it. Drama? Yep lots of it going on at Parliament Hill.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 322
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like it's not happening--Parliament will be suspended or "prorogued" (truly a $64,000 [Can.] word):

http://www.google.com/hostedne ws/canadianpress/article/ALeqM 5hsWCWQwAlsJNxzi0bVvj3XuJ5wlw

Walkerpub

Post Number: 220
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still can't imagine Dion as the Prime Minister- he produced one of the worst showings of a Liberal in 20th century- and he gets a shot at the top job- WTF!

Goat

Post Number: 10581
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least Harper is willing to talk to the opposition about the budget that is to be tabled on Jan 27th. yet these parties are still talking coalition with no plan themselves.

So either they come to a compromise or an election will be called in January.

by the way it looks like the coalition is cracking as a few liberal MP's have stated Dion should just step down now.

Not a power grab? You tell me.

Lowell

Post Number: 5197
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like the first polls are running against the coalition, although at 44-24 cons - lib it is not overwhelming. I am finding the heated exchanges extreme for Canadian discourse, as if they have picked up some usa manners.

Aiw

Post Number: 6830
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back to the ballot box please!

Harper's gambled and lost. He needs to go too...

Goat

Post Number: 10594
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed. Looking forward to an election and I hope Harper steps down as he should. He blew it (and has blown it for some time)and needs to go as head of the Conservatives.

Lowell, the reason it is so heated is that many people in Canada (somewhere around 84%) believe that this is wrong for the opposition parties to try and remove the gov't. It was released today that 74% of the population feared for the country because of the backroom deals going on.

Most voters feel duped and many are now so disenfranchised many said they won't vote again as all of the "leaders", regardless of party are anything but. Which I have to agree. Truly, where is the leadership the western world once had?

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 9789
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It won't be Dion.

quote:

OTTAWA, Dec 10 (Reuters) - Canada's opposition Liberals on Wednesday named a new leader, Michael Ignatieff, a formidable campaigner who they hope will reverse the once-mighty party's decline after two consecutive electoral losses.

http://www.reuters.com/article /bondsNews/idUSOTW000204200812 10

Raptor56

Post Number: 672
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This whole fiasco illustrates the inherent problem with Parliamentary government vs a Presidential style of government. In the parliamentary system, everyone is elected first, then, once in office, they barter and bicker over who becomes the leader. All of the compromising and backroom stuff is done after they are all elected, and if they fail to come to a consensus, the whole election process starts over again. In a Presidential system (like the USA), all of the compromising and backroom bartering for party leadership and power control is primarily done BEFORE elections, so once elections are complete, everyone in government knows their role and are theoretically ready to "serve" the people.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 9792
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, except for Al Haig's "I am in charge!"

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 415
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I prefer the parliamentary system over presidential. It makes the nation's leader alot more accountable towards the people because of the Question Period (at least in British parliamentary systems, like UK, Canada, Australia, and NZ). The problem with presidential system is that the president is too cut off from the people. Bus doesn't have to answer directly to people, of course that's the press secretary's job. And those press questions the president get to answer every few months does nothing. But America would never want a Prime Minister, that's too British and that's what we fought against.

Raptor56

Post Number: 668
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree that the Question Period would be a good idea, even in a presidential system. I have watched the UK Question Period on C-SPAN a number of times. Rather interesting. In my opinion the Parliamentary System allows the leader to be totally unaccountable. In the Presidential System, voters "elect" a leader. Regardless of which party is in charge, that guy is THE leader, and owes his election and re-election to the people. In the Parliamentary system, the people elect members of the parties, and then the party members choose the leader. All the leader has to do is keep his fellow party cronies happy, and he keeps his job. You get a case like this one where the opposition parties see an opportunity for a power grab, and with the parliamentary system, they have the ability to take it. Now instead of a clear elected leader, the people of Canada are stuck with whoever the "in power at the moment" party/coalition prop up as Prime Minister. If electing a leader by the people, I guarantee there'd be no way in heck a bloc leader would be elected, yet, up until recently, Dion would have been the Prime Minister, if everything had panned out.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.