Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Detroit Dragons Hockey « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 664
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was announcing/providing music for a De La Salle hockey game last week at Fraser Ice arena. When I got to my truck after the game, I noticed a flyer on the windshield for a new "pro" hockey team in town playing at Fraser, the Detroit Dragons. Anybody been to a game yet? How's the quality of play? Are there any fans there? Aside from the flyer and an article I found on the Macomb Daily, publicity for this team seems fairly non-existant. I miss the days of the Falcons!

http://www.detroitdragonshocke y.com/

http://www.macombdaily.com/art icles/2008/11/08/sports/srv000 0003998754.txt#blogcomments

Raptor56

Post Number: 668
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

*bump*

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 2033
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think this is a children's league. A lady at work mentions them when talking of her son's team playing them.

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1898
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Then they're big children, as the players are all in their 20s.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 1039
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I highly recommend taking in a Plymouth Whalers or Windsor Spitfires game. A great chance to see future NHLer's at a decent price. Great hockey. This is the league that brought us Wayne Gretsky and Steve Yzerman. Also teams in Saginaw and Sarnia.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1695
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And some of my old friends from back in the day

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 360
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 3:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Windsor Arena had its last Spits game last night. It's been open for 84 years and was the original home of the Wings before they were the wings.

Lostlegumes
Username: Lostlegumes

Post Number: 77
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm partial to the WSU women's team--the ONLY Division I women's college hockey team in Michigan.

They've been pretty good the past couple of years.

http://wsuathletics.cstv.com/s ports/w-hockey/wyst-w-hockey-b ody.html

Raptor56

Post Number: 669
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What are they doing with the old barn now that the spits moved out?

Mountainman
Username: Mountainman

Post Number: 143
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard the city was going to use it for the University of Windsor men's hockey games. Apparently, Addie Knox isn't exactly the best.

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 362
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The older Dragons apparently also play at the Fairgrounds. I heard yesterday that the parcel of land the Fraser Hockeyland sits on was just sold to Wal-Mart.

Raptor56

Post Number: 660
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ham: Where did you hear that from?

J_to_the_jeremy
Username: J_to_the_jeremy

Post Number: 153
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Dragons are the equivalent of a single-A baseball team, and they're part of the NHL system, I think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A ll_American_Hockey_Association

Jerrytimes
Username: Jerrytimes

Post Number: 158
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't believe that I haven't heard of them. I plsy rec hockey at both Mt Clemens and Fraser

Raptor56

Post Number: 662
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rumor has it they are about to fold. I announce and do game music for De La Salle Hockey (10th season). Our game Friday is at 6:25pm in the Michigan rink, however we have been told that if the Dragons fold this week, our game will be at 6:45 in the Superior rink (where the Dragons play).

The problem with this team is, unlike the Mechanics, the Dragons haven’t advertised worth a darn, hence no fans at the game. The only reason why I know about them is thanks to a flyer on my windshield after a DLS game.

Right now I'm more interested in the potential purcahse of the skating rink by walmart.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.