Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » State takes over DPS finances « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1490
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They're back. Let's hope they do better this time.

http://freep.com/article/20081 208/NEWS01/81208043

“The Emergency Financial Manager’s role will be to balance the district’s budget, pay its bills, manage the spending, and establish strong and reliable financial systems to help the school board make sound academic decisions for the students of Detroit,” Flanagan said.

It's really ridiculous. This isn't rocket science, we're talking about accounting not necessarily education, and shows symptomatic issues with not only the administration, the people who work within it who are in regardless of superintendent, as well as the board. There is no one blameless in the wreck that is DPS's finances.

I just wish someone would start hiring competent people from wherever they are instead of all the "help a brother out" jobs (to borrow Kwame Kenyatta's saying).

But according to Joe Harris, the city doesn't have enough qualified accountants either. WTF? Can't Detroit hire some accountants or financially knowledgable folk on their way there? I know some who need better jobs or are out of work.

Detroitjim
Username: Detroitjim

Post Number: 54
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nelson?

HA HA!

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3871
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like what Carla Scott said:

“There was no intent to not meet the requirements of the Consent Agreement between the Detroit Public School District and the State Financial Management Review Team,” she said.

Sounds like they're saying, "We didn't mean to fail." :-(

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1414
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does this mean that I might actually get paid this month? There were talks of employees not getting their paychecks in Dec. I just love not knowing if my bills will get paid.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 1232
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitteacher....True-Hit.
Here's the thing: do you reckon Board Office employees are sweating whether or not they'll receive a fat paycheck?

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 330
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hope this mess gets cleaned up before too many more people get screwed.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1415
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 6:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never doubted that admin would/will still get paid, no matter what.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2365
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 8:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As the teachers are the ones "on the front lines" (teaching the students, and keeping parents informed and happy), you would think they should be the first to get paid.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 1240
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Board of Education....bass ackwardization, at its Finest

Detroitpetanque
Username: Detroitpetanque

Post Number: 198
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least they'll have lots of new "students"

DPS Accountants

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 628
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A HUUUUUUGE step in the right direction:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20081209/M ETRO/812090441

However, they don't go far enough and resign. If they added that bonus than DPS would instantly make a 50% improvement...

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1080
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe the majority of the board members should resign. It breaks my heart to read comments by detroitteacher. Not only are they underpaid, they might not be paid at all? That's criminal.

As far as Calloway is concerned, she was never given a chance, especially with that board.

Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 629
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Calloway is worthless and way in over her head. However, you get no argument with me that the whole board should resign. Problem is, I don't think there is a competent and moral group out there that would take over the DPS system and run it right.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5806
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The ironic thing is that this is the most formally educated and business oriented board there's been in a long time but they still can't get it together.

Perhaps some retired or resigned teachers who actually give a crap about the schools and the kids instead of putting their personal interests first should make up the board.

Border5150
Username: Border5150

Post Number: 286
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About damn time!!!

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1482
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1) Put in the best people from the State, not the city (pool is too small).
2) Pay them the same nominal stipend that is paid to the successful suburban board members (Bringing in smart people who are doing this to achieve a great result not marginal people that are trying to add to their income stream).
3) Reduce the number of school properties to the smallest successful model known in the country, Sell the rest that can be sold.
4) Reduce the administrative staffing to the smallest successful model in the country
5) Put reward programs into place to compensate successful teachers for their achievements(Such as, I think, Detroitteacher) and cull the seat holders that are not achieving.
6) Put in a series of boarding schools that are available to the kids that don't have an environment of success at home to allow achievement (an example might be homes of illiterate teenage moms with multiple kids and multiple absent dads that can't pay the heating bill and never had a study discipline to share with their kids in the first place). Require that these kids meet acceptance criteria and ongoing qualification to stay in these success oriented locations.
7) Cull problem students to truant schools keeping them out of the way of the success of the majority of the students in boarding or non-boarding schools. These kids would be required to stay in these schools until age 18 (not 16) keeping them off the street. Truant officers would be used to assure this. NOTE: Behavioral changes would allow these students a review in order to advance back to the success track schools.
8) Instill the goal from Kindergarten that these kids are preparing for College and work with them towards that singular goal before they are given the ill-conceived idea that they will be successful in any other way.
8) Take the entire program to the Gates Foundation and lay down the gauntlet that NY Irish Catholics were turned from poverty stricken, unclean, uneducated pugilists to city leaders, lawyers, doctors, educators in one generation and if the Gates Foundation is worth their salt they should be able to do the same in Detroit a hundred years later with their vast resources assisting in our infrastructure needs.

I suggest that this model would not be a bad basis to start.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1416
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I vote we give "Green Dot" a chance. They worked wonders in districts elsewhere with the same basic problems that DPS has.

Mafia also makes some viable suggestions (although the boarding school idea would be like foster care with a school on the grounds...which violates LRE). I totally agree with getting rid of the miscreants who muck up the educational process for the kids who really want to learn. About 50% of my 9th graders are doing nothing (except skipping class on a regular basis) and when they do show up they just cause problems for the kids who come on a regular basis. I'm really tired of the kids who have 40+ absences asking me for "make up work". I tell them they can make it up in summer school. Summer school should be packed this year. I don't have this problem with my 11th and 12th graders.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 914
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about adding year-round schooling? Kids don't need to be roaming the streets all summer. Plus, the length of summer vacation means that they spend the first two months of school getting back up to speed. If we think 180 days of school is too much, spread out the breaks over the year.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1417
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am all for year round schooling if they would air condition the buildings. In the spring/summer (May-June) our rooms can get up to 115 degrees with zero circulation. Our windows do little to help circulate the air, fans are of no use. During the hot months, I teach with no lights on and have water readily available for the kids.

While I realize that in days past school was held with no air conditioning, there weren't the asthma and breathing problems my kids have today. We've actually passed out from heat exhaustion at times. Kids can't learn in that type of environment and they wouldn't show up...heck they rarely show up if it's too cold outside (since they have to walk to school).

All schools in the district would have to be on the same schedule for breaks since there are multiple kids from the same family in various schools. My students typically care for younger siblings/relatives during breaks and summer vacation. Not having the older kids to watch the lil ones might place a bigger financial burden on the already struggling parents.

Digitalvision

Post Number: 1497
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think there's been studies done on how much it improves urban areas where they've tried year-round schooling. There is NO reason in a non-agrarian society to not go year 'round and it will keep kids off the streets and buildings full and busy.

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 537
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The problem with year-round schooling at least in Detroit is the age of the buildings. Like DT says the buildings are old. There haven't been new schools built in decades. The cost to put air conditioning in these buildings is probably not cost effective. You go in a typical Detroit school building in the summer its tends to get really hot and your too busy thinking about how hot you are and the learning goes bye-bye.

Digitalvision

Post Number: 1502
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that cost is minimal considering the cost of not having them in school, Firstandten- creative financing for a target project like this (grants, foundations, etc) could be found; it's also something that's bondable and/or able to be done with a sinking fund. There are contractors who do this kind of work and it isn't prohibitively expensive.

Not to mention, we probably have a WPA-like Obama plan coming down next year. This is the kind of thing to slip into something like that.

If this was the barrier to year-round schooling which will lower truancy and crime and also increase education and retention, this is something I am sure the governmental, philanthropic and business communities would be more than willing to help.

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1087
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

detroitteacher, the district isn't on a common calendar? My God, I cannot believe that! Any reason why?

Firstandten

Post Number: 539
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its a great suggestion Digitalvision however I just don't trust the current board along with Calloway to manage a project of this scope. I think history will bear this out.

The board will fight this state takeover, and in the process will try to fire Calloway for cause.

In the end however the state will take over, and if Calloway does get fired she will most likely sue and win.

Just more drama in the ongoing saga of DPS. In the mean-time the kids still aren't getting an education.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1418
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lodge: Right now we are on an almost common calendar. There are certain schools that close for 1/2 days and PTCs and such but overall, the standard breaks are all the same. I was simply stating that IF DPS went to year-round school, they would have to be on a common schedule. Some districts that have tried the year-round approach didn't do this and it failed miserably (White Lake being one of them). Different levels had schedules that differed from other levels (Elem., MS, HS). If a family had kids in various schools and grades, scheduling a vacation and child care became a nightmare.

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1089
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for the clarification.

I must have the wrong impression of Calloway. I feel she's never been given a fair chance in the District. I remember your stating she didn't have the experience to lead a large district.

Were you one of the teachers at the council meetings asking for the ex-mayor's resignation?

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1419
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No...I wasn't there.

I don't think anyone has given CC a chance to show what she might be able to do. I don't like her on a personal level but that has nothing to do with her ability to run a district. The state takeover is a good thing...at least for right now. Someone needs to oversee things since DPS can't get it right no matter who they put in there.

Detbest
Username: Detbest

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm starting to get the sense that the school board is the DPS equivalent of the Lions' old GM Matt Millen.

This board hired CC and less than 1 1/2 school years into her tenure they're ready to fire her. While I believe her tenure has been less than ideal, it is lunacy to think that firing her is going to solve the problem.

One of the main issues of DPS is the highly dysfunctional school board that doesn't seem to have a clue on how to address the very serious problems that are facing this school district. Additionally, city voters must face the reality that it is the voters who elected these school board members and accept a sizeable share of the blame for putting some of the folks into office at such a crucial time in the district's history.

I for one would love to see what credible educational leader will take on this position if CC is fired.

Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Originally posted by Detbest:

I for one would love to see what credible educational leader will take on this position if CC is fired.

Bad news. If Calloway gets fired they'll just hire Calloway-lite. Basically someone just like Calloway that knows how to stay in their place and not test the board. DPS must be completely erradicated. It is the ultimate impedement to children getting an education in Detroit. Well, besides some of the sorry ass parents out there...

Firstandten

Post Number: 541
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The DPS and the board as it is currently constructed hasn't worked in years. Calloway is too busy trying to keep 11 board members happy and making sure her employees aren't going behind her back to talk to board members.

The board members are too busy trying to keep the various community people, district employees etc happy so they will get re-elected or not get re-called. This results in the micro-managing that the board has done for years.

It makes no difference who the board members are or who the super is, this dymanic plays out over and over again.

This system has not worked in years and a new approach is needed.

We need a educational czar (wow, did I really use that word?)

All kidding aside, I maintain that the mayor must have a role in bringing DPS back or make smaller districts out of Detroit.

The citys economy is too depended on DPS and somehow you must take the politics out of it or at least minimize it.

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 449
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The truth is, Calloway was doomed from the start, mostly as a result of her own failure to understand her role and responsibilities and to connect in humane terms to parents and employees.

Firstandten

Post Number: 543
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Calloway was doomed from the start, however she has no one but herself to blame. Calloways history at least from the last two small districts she managed was that she was not a humane person, actually she was quite rude and she has not changed since being here. She should have known the history of this district and its board.

She was blinded by the big payday she was going to get and she ignored her weaknesses. I'm sure she knows she is not going to stay until the end of her contract, she also knows that no matter what happens she will ride off into the sunset a well compensated woman.

Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 623
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm glad the district is doing this:
http://www.freep.com/article/2 0081218/NEWS01/81218071

Maybe that will be the last nails in the coffin of the horrid DPS system and then maybe we can rebuild a real school system from amongst the ashes.

Really, how hard can it be? Shouldn't balancing the budget be as simple as figuring out all of your assets, what you owe, what money is coming in, where money is being used effectively and where it is being wasted and then act accordingly? I would think the basic budget rules of the average household would apply, just on a greater scale. This astounds me that it goes on decade after decade after decade ....

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.